Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about episode A Hundred Days? According to Carter the surface of the gate melted after being hit by a meteorite and formed something like an iris. Yet they were still able to penetrate it with the energy vortex.

I'd go with inconsistency... not the first one... not the last one...
    Sorry for my bad english. I'm just a little post-communist building nuclear warheads in backyard.

Comment

Right. They used a particle beam firing through the gate (like Sokar did trying to get to Apophis) to heat the naquada on the other end that was acting as an iris. As it got hot it melted somewhat and moved from the position it needed to be in for the splash (sorry, that's the term I learned for it first and it's sorta stuck with me, just feels right) to not be able to form. Once they had done that they dialed right back and this time the splash was able to appear and vaporized the "iris" and carve out the cavity that Teal'c was able to get into to drill his way out.

Comment

is there anything on the gate that says "USE THIS WAY ONLY!" -> i mean how did they know which way to use it?;

or did they have to test which side of the gate instantaeously transported ppl to other planets and which side killed them ( thats if it killed them )?
        It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

My guess is that the ancients would have considered the possibility of it happening and take steps to prevent it. My guess, nothing would happen except you emerge to be standing in front of the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz!
            is there anything on the gate that says "USE THIS WAY ONLY!" -> i mean how did they know which way to use it?;

or did they have to test which side of the gate instantaeously transported ppl to other planets and which side killed them ( thats if it killed them )?
            The back of the gate looks very different from the front. You can't see the spinning ring, and the chevrons don't light up.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
              The back of the gate looks very different from the front. You can't see the spinning ring, and the chevrons don't light up.

oh! duh! very obvious!

well its lucky they went for the spinning rings!

is there a picture of the back of the gate! ??
              It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

It is true this matter has been raised before, but there is no need to get angry, it is an interesting disscussion and a moderator can always merge the threads.

Anyways, back the the subject.

There are in fact a number of things that will happen.

1. This is the most unlikely thing (out of all things within reason, obviously the universe is not going to blow up). You die. This is the most unlikely because, yes originally the Ancients created the gate network for themselves, but they were smart enough to realise that some people might not know what it is try to go through and die because they are going through the wrong side.

2. Second most unlikely, you simply pass through the other side. This is also pretty unlikely because if anyone were to try to come through the right side your matter, passing through the event horizon would act like an iris and the person coming through would at least loose a big chunk out of them.

3. Also unlikely, you go through to the other gate but come out the back end, if it is an incoming wormhole you die. This one is also unlikely because the gates were only really meant to work one way, throuh one side.

4. The most likely. The reverse side of the event horizon is solid, or protected by a forcefield or dampening field of some sort. That way if you try to go through it stops you.

To tell you the truth we would really have to try it to get a certain answer but I would have to go with number four it is the most likely.

Comment

wait hasnt this already been explained many a time???
                  tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
                  yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
                  Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

hmmm...i think that u would come out the other side and no your body wuldnt act like a iris if this did happen the gate would store the matter in its buffer and wait until u were all the way thruogh...well thats what i think...

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

the thing about the iris beaing too close is right...

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

Since ever, I've been wondering about one thing in Stargate Sg-1:
                        If the blast of the wormhole vaporises everything, why doesn't it affect the Iris? Very often the Iris is closed before a wormhole is opened, so the blast has to touch the Iris...
                        Has anybody an explanation?
                        "Only puny secrets need protection. Big discoveries are protected by public incredulity." (Marshall McCluhan)

Comment

Hey you should post it in the other section. Not in here. This section is for help and questions about the forum. You should put this thread in the science section Where in Belgium are you from? Vlaanderen or Wallonië?

And the answer is that the iris is placed that way that whatever comes through the gate won't rematerialize in its original components. Humans, beasts, energy,... and the gate is made out of trinium so that is quitte though to penetrate.
                          We are facing our future together - Dr. Elizabeth Weir
                          Dr. Elisabeth Weir is a proud member of the GTA !
                          *~'.:GTA 199:.'~*

Stargate Omega: so much more than a website ! Join the place today.

Comment

It's not the material, it might as well have been paper.

The iris is a few microns away from the event horizion, so that nothing can rematerialisze.

They built the Iris of Trinium to counter stuff like particle enchanchers (Heru-Ur), immense gravity (blackhole) and stuff.

So not even the kawoosh can form (as said above)

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy it here.

It is to do with it being so close to the event horizon

Sadly, to quote another forum user, this is:

Originally Posted by TechnoWraith
                              The most widely discussed inconsistency in Gateworld history.
                              and, as such, there are so many threads on this same subject:

Try the following thread titles:
                              1. Why on an incoming wormhole the "splash" doesn't destroy the iris.
                              2. Why isn't the iris destroyed by the energy vortex?
                              3. Why doesn't the Kawoosh destroy the iris?
                              4. How? Questions about wormholes and gate travel.
                              5. Misc. tech questions.
                              6. Iris and the unstable wormhole.
                              7. Iris ... man it's tough.
                              8. Why doesn't the iris disintegrate.
                              9. The Wormhole.

All of the above were found by typing: "Kawoosh Iris" into the SEARCH function.

There are some other favourites which are often asked:
                              "What's the 9th Chevron for"
                              "How did Apophis get back through the gate in the pilot"
                              "Who are the Furlings"

When this sort of regular question is asked, some of the forum members tend to get a bit testy, so don't worry if in this thread you get some slightly nasty comments.

Here's a useful post, with links, that helps to explain some of the bits and pieces about Gateworld:
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=20452
                              Particularly note: 'Forum Rules'
                              Last edited by jonno; 14 January 2006, 06:04 AM.
                              I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Thank for your answers...
                                Sorry, I'm new... I have seen that I had put my question in the wrong section, but only after I had already posted it!! Sorry again!
                                I'm from the French speaking region of Belgium (Wallonie) and I study in Brussels.
                                "Only puny secrets need protection. Big discoveries are protected by public incredulity." (Marshall McCluhan)

Comment

Working...
                                X