Why is there a Point of Origin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ItsDan
    Abydos is on the far side of the galaxy.

Actually it's one of if not THE closest gate in the network to Earth. That's why they were trying to jump to Abydos when Anubis had their gate tied up, it required the least amount of power to get to, being so close. That's also why they were able to reach it without a DHD or their own planetary drift calculator, the effects are smaller between close gates.
    Your right. I guess I got thrown off when Carter had once mentioned that Abydos was about to become undialable for some reason or another, and thought she had mentioned it being far from Earth.
    http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Because I can take that same gate and take it to another planet. That gate does not know where it is.

The confusion comes in that you'd be giving it the same symbol regardless of what planet the gate was moved to, so the PoO doesn't tell the gate where it is.
      NO, when you move the gate the PoO changes.

SG-1 gates to Apophises ship with a gate adress. Daniel gates to another planet fleeing the ship using a safe plaets cordenence and Earth as the PoO.
      *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
      *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
      *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
      *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
      *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
      *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
      *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by Seldini
        What?? You didn't think this out at all... there's no stargate on the moon... wtf does that prove? The point is that the 7th symbol, the PoO, provides NO necessary knowledge for the dialing process, the same 6 symbols dialed from any gate will reach the same gate... what does the PoO change?
        It was an example. Cool down. You oblviesly thought to hard.

The first six gives the point in space in wich you are traveling to. The 7th. gives the point you are traveling from.

You people are smarter then me. Why don't you understand it..... I do.
        *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
          It was an example. Cool down. You oblviesly thought to hard.

The first six gives the point in space in wich you are traveling to. The 7th. gives the point you are traveling from.

You people are smarter then me. Why don't you understand it..... I do.
          Ugh. Did you even read the first post? I explained that I know how they explained the 7th symbol in the movie, the question is why do we need the PoO? The destination doesn't change based on where you're coming from, so why bother with the origin at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Seldini
            Ugh. Did you even read the first post? I explained that I know how they explained the 7th symbol in the movie, the question is why do we need the PoO? The destination doesn't change based on where you're coming from, so why bother with the origin at all?
            Because where you are coming from DOES change. Every DHD dials caclulates for planetary drift. So does our homemade DHD, thankes to Carter. When you dial, you dial where you are going, then the PoO. Which tells the gate where you are coming from to astablish a wormhole.

Does that make sense. Or are you just messing with me?

Comment

People, people, people...!!! C'mon..!

Sheesh... How many times do I have to explain it in the same thread??? The Point of Origin symbol has NOTHING to do with the planet a stargate is ON. NOR, does it have anything to do with the establishing a wormhole to another stargate, beyond telling the stargate your finished inputting the address...! A Stargate has NO need to know where itself is located, because it doesn't use a planetary perspective for targeting other stargates..! The Stargate Network uses a pan-galactic three dimensional X,Y,Z coordinate grid to target individual stargates. In english, that means that your using a targeting standered that is used by all the stargates to establish galactic position.

In other words, if you used the frame of reference of an individual planet, then the stargate would work as described in the movie, and every single stargate would have thousands of different addresses depending upon which planet you were coming from. Then, you'd have to work the whole thing out all over again once you arrived on the new planet, with a completely new targeting standared with completely different symbols on the stargate. You'd be stuck, because you'd have no idea which symbols to input in which order. You would have NO clue which symbol was the PoO symbol because every single symbol on the gate would be different from every other single symbol on every other gate. Basically, one COLOSSAL frelling MESS..!

Fortunately... *whew* ALL Stargates (in the TV show, completely different from the movie) have the same 38 coordinate symbols with the extra 39th different symbol being the Point of Origin. This means, that you can go to ANY planet ANYWHERE, and the coordinates to Earth (or whatever other planet your trying to reach) will always be the same regardless of where you are gating from. The ONLY difference between the stargate addresses will be the 7th symbol (or 8th w/ intergalactic addresses). That way, you don't have a completely different list of stargate addresses with completely different stargate symbols on every single planet you go to. EVERY planet's stargate uses the same 38 coordinate symbols, which allow you to have just ONE address per stargate, rather than thousands.

The ONLY thing the PoO symbol does, is tell the Stargate when you completed dialing in the coordinates to your destination. It does NOT tell the other stargate where the wormhole is coming from. Not anymore than a lasso tells a cow who lasso'd it. The reason a wormhole attaches to a stargate is because it is the ONLY thing in an entire star system (which the wormhole was aimed at... the star system), which will attract the wormhole and anchor it.

So... once more unto the breach...

Question: Why is there a Point of Origin???

Answer: To tell the Stargate when you are done inputting coordinates..!

That's it boys and girls. No more complex than that.
              The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
              Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
              My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
              Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

SG-1 gates to Apophises ship with a gate adress. Daniel gates to another planet fleeing the ship using a safe plaets cordenence and Earth as the PoO.

Not in the show. Gates in the show have 38 symbols for the destination and 1 unique symbol for the origin. Let me illustrate further. There are 39 symbols on the gate, ergo, if your logic was true, there would only be 39 very specific places each gate could be placed, all gates sharing 38 of them in common, and 1 unique location that only that gate could be placed.
                "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Not in the show. Gates in the show have 38 symbols for the destination and 1 unique symbol for the origin. Let me illustrate further. There are 39 symbols on the gate, ergo, if your logic was true, there would only be 39 very specific places each gate could be placed, all gates sharing 38 of them in common, and 1 unique location that only that gate could be placed.
                  All right I had enough. Their are no such things as wormholes. We have never ever established a real wormhole. It is only in theory wich means someones scientific opinion.

Daniel SAID he escaped Apophis' ship trapped in Earths orbit by dialing another planet using Earth as the PoO. You can not ague this because that is what TPTB said and that is how it shall be.

In the movie Daniel said you NEED a PoO to dial the gate. Therefore, YOU NEED A POINT OF ORIGIN TO DIAL THE GATE. That is how the writers wrote it and that is how it shall be.

You can't change it because TPTB made it all up and they say you need it and so you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                    People, people, people...!!! C'mon..!

Sheesh... How many times do I have to explain it in the same thread??? The Point of Origin symbol has NOTHING to do with the planet a stargate is ON. NOR, does it have anything to do with the establishing a wormhole to another stargate, beyond telling the stargate your finished inputting the address...! A Stargate has NO need to know where itself is located, because it doesn't use a planetary perspective for targeting other stargates..! The Stargate Network uses a pan-galactic three dimensional X,Y,Z coordinate grid to target individual stargates. In english, that means that your using a targeting standered that is used by all the stargates to establish galactic position.

In other words, if you used the frame of reference of an individual planet, then the stargate would work as described in the movie, and every single stargate would have thousands of different addresses depending upon which planet you were coming from. Then, you'd have to work the whole thing out all over again once you arrived on the new planet, with a completely new targeting standared with completely different symbols on the stargate. You'd be stuck, because you'd have no idea which symbols to input in which order. You would have NO clue which symbol was the PoO symbol because every single symbol on the gate would be different from every other single symbol on every other gate. Basically, one COLOSSAL frelling MESS..!

Fortunately... *whew* ALL Stargates (in the TV show, completely different from the movie) have the same 38 coordinate symbols with the extra 39th different symbol being the Point of Origin. This means, that you can go to ANY planet ANYWHERE, and the coordinates to Earth (or whatever other planet your trying to reach) will always be the same regardless of where you are gating from. The ONLY difference between the stargate addresses will be the 7th symbol (or 8th w/ intergalactic addresses). That way, you don't have a completely different list of stargate addresses with completely different stargate symbols on every single planet you go to. EVERY planet's stargate uses the same 38 coordinate symbols, which allow you to have just ONE address per stargate, rather than thousands.

The ONLY thing the PoO symbol does, is tell the Stargate when you completed dialing in the coordinates to your destination. It does NOT tell the other stargate where the wormhole is coming from. Not anymore than a lasso tells a cow who lasso'd it. The reason a wormhole attaches to a stargate is because it is the ONLY thing in an entire star system (which the wormhole was aimed at... the star system), which will attract the wormhole and anchor it.

So... once more unto the breach...

Question: Why is there a Point of Origin???

Answer: To tell the Stargate when you are done inputting coordinates..!

That's it boys and girls. No more complex than that.
                    So when Daniel stated that you need a PoO and that is why the gate wont work and then daniel figures out the PoO and the gate now works, doesn't. After all the 7th. symbol is the PoO. Without it, you are GOING NOWHERE!

WATCH THE MOVIE AGAIN AND THE CHILDREN OF THE GODS. WHEN YOU ARE DONE COME BACK AND TELL ME HOW I AM RIGHT. AFTER ALL I DID WAS TELL YOU WHAT DANIEL SAID.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
                      They weren't dialing another galaxy. In fact its been established that Abydos is in the Milky Way. The reason for the inconsistency is due to planetary drift and the constant motion of the galaxy and universe. Abydos is on the far side of the galaxy.

Also, the only reason I could see for the Stargate on the other side needing the point of origin is perhaps to establish a two way connection. But that doesn't happen, so why do you need the PoO?
                      In the series Abydos is in our galaxy but in the film they said it was on the far side of the Kalium galaxy.

As for the PoO you need it as much as the 6symbol address as both are in constant motion. All the PoO symbol is, is 6symbol's made in to one.

Think of Sat Nav, you put in your address and it shows you where to go, but first to plan the route it works out where you are. Contrast this with a map, you may know the address and where it is, but the info would be useless with out knowing where you are in relation to your destination. This is exactly what the PoO does for the gate system, only alot more advanced since destination and origion are in constant motion.

I realise that using telephone terminalogy with in the show is misleading and gives people the complete wrong impression. Telephones are designed to work with the same number where ever you are calling from and so should never be compared to any form of navigational system.
                      Last edited by Gate Master; 25 January 2006, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                        So when Daniel stated that you need a PoO and that is why the gate wont work and then daniel figures out the PoO and the gate now works, doesn't. After all the 7th. symbol is the PoO. Without it, you are GOING NOWHERE!

WATCH THE MOVIE AGAIN AND THE CHILDREN OF THE GODS. WHEN YOU ARE DONE COME BACK AND TELL ME HOW I AM RIGHT. AFTER ALL I DID WAS TELL YOU WHAT DANIEL SAID.
                        *mumble, mumble, mumble*

Listen carefully...

I... did... NOT... say... that... you... didn't... need... the... PoO symbol... to... dial... out... the... gate..!!!

geez... As to the movie, and the pilot... I don't need to see them again. I have them BOTH on DVD. In any case I watched the pilot AND the movie just 2 days ago. I KNOW what Daniel said. You have to use the PoO symbol in the address to make it work, but that does NOT mean that PoO symbol is used to tell the other frick'n gate where you are..! In any case, you can forget the movie. As far as the series is concerned... its wrong..! The stargates do NOT use planetary frames of reference to target other gates. They use... a... (say it with me) "pan-galactic three dimensional X,Y,Z coordinates grid" as a single standared for ALL stargates to target other stargates. If you want it explained again, just read my previous post again.

Thank You..!
                        The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                        My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                        Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Daniel SAID he escaped Apophis' ship trapped in Earths orbit by dialing another planet using Earth as the PoO. You can not ague this because that is what TPTB said and that is how it shall be.

In the movie Daniel said you NEED a PoO to dial the gate. Therefore, YOU NEED A POINT OF ORIGIN TO DIAL THE GATE. That is how the writers wrote it and that is how it shall be.

First, Daniel didn't explicitly say he had to dial the earth symbol in order to use Earth as a point of origin. But yes there is some confusion because of it, which I attribute to it being such an early episode.

The issue is that since theres only 39 symbols that would mean there's only 39 locations the gate can dial from. The show has also established that 38 of the symbols are common to all the gates.
                          "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

The PoO is differend for all the gates, but it works everywere as the PoO.

Comment

That was a waste of a perfictly good explination on me. You gould have said its magic and i would have said "OK".

I am just kidding i just wanted to use the quote. LOL

That does make more sence then anything else i have read about the 7th chevron.
                              http://www.alteranancients.com/
                              http://www.stargateworldswiki.com/

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. (Adam Savage - Mythbusters.)

Comment

It's magic

Comment

Working...
                                X