X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smurf
    Ta muchly.

Now is this a uniform void between galaxies or are there galaxies which kind of butt up against each other? In relative terms. Say, the distance between the galaxies being the same or less than the distance between one end of the MW to the other.
    Yep. The Large and Small Magelanic Clouds are small galaxies that are relatively close by. Galaxies also collide with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
      Do you remember which ones?
      In addition to the above list:

Rodney wanted to do it in 'Home'.
      sigpic

Comment

See, never believe anyone who says TV doesn't expand your mind.

Originally posted by PG15
        Yep. The Large and Small Magelanic Clouds are small galaxies that are relatively close by. Galaxies also collide with each other.
        So, going back to the original question. If those galaxies were both on the Stargate network it would be theoretically possible to hop between those galaxies using the equivalent power it takes to hop within a galaxy?

Here's a thought.
        We know that the DHDs automatically update to compansate for planetary drift, and it would be fair to assume it takes a bit of power to do so within a reasonable amount of time or the information would be outdated before it hit the next DHD.
        Now in order to dial another galaxy the DHD would also need the information on planetary drift in those galaxies which must take far more power to achieve than updating MW only.
        So there must be at least one (master) DHD in each galaxy powerful enough to dial direct to any other galaxy.

Does that make sense, or should I go stand in front of an incoming wormhole?

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
          We know that the DHDs automatically update to compansate for planetary drift, and it would be fair to assume it takes a bit of power to do so within a reasonable amount of time or the information would be outdated before it hit the next DHD.
          DHDs force the gates to dial each other to communicate these updates. So, communication between two DHDs is nearly instantaneous. But we've seen the entire gate network update itself in just a day or so.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wedge11
            they said in "the fifth race" that the device that o'neil built only worked once

i reckon that what he built was a crude one time only ZPM.
            I agree. However, I don't think that naquada generators have the capacity to supply enough power to keep the wormhole open. Maybe they can dial, and maybe if they dialed Atlantis the city should take over with handaling the power, but its like opening a stabal hyperdirve window in REDEMPTION with the naquadria, it will open, but its not stable and cant be maintained. I think the ZPM is really just a huge amount of energy stored in a small space and thats why they need one to dial the Pegasus Galaxy. Any one else understand what im trying to say here?
            To the Prometheus...

The first...

She will be missed

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
              Or that the gate was trying to draw the power at a gradually increasing rate. Like, first ten times, then 50 times, then who knows. We can't be sure.
              I agree thats a definite possibility, although too much power and its doubtful earth based materials at the time would be able to with stand the power going through them. There is also only so much power that can be extracted from such a small amount matter and even if the conversion is 100% it was still supposed to be nothing close to the power requirred to create hyperdrives and shields as inferred by things said in the show which put these power requirements as completely off any known scale.

With regards the debate over the device in the 5th race. Im confident that O'neil was the one how built it and it was just a continuity error by the writers especially since the contradicting episodes were written by different people.
              The device was created before any direct contact with the asgard was made and goes hand in hand with the ancients repository of knowledge being downloaded in to O'neils head that has been discussed in subsiquent episodes and so again im confident the device is of ancient design not asgard.
              It is also my understanding of the device that although it can only be used once initially, once it has been recalibrated which carter learned how to do, it can be used again and again and with a high number of staff weapons about there should be no problem powering it.

Comment

Originally posted by midnitespider
                I agree. However, I don't think that naquada generators have the capacity to supply enough power to keep the wormhole open. Maybe they can dial, and maybe if they dialed Atlantis the city should take over with handaling the power, but its like opening a stabal hyperdirve window in REDEMPTION with the naquadria, it will open, but its not stable and cant be maintained. I think the ZPM is really just a huge amount of energy stored in a small space and thats why they need one to dial the Pegasus Galaxy. Any one else understand what im trying to say here?
                Ah naquadria! That seems to be a good solution. Isn't the problem with naquadriah that it is difficult to regulate the released energy, that is you often get too much energy, often the exploding type?

But hasn't it also been established that the stargates do an excellent job regulated and absorbing all sorts of energy?

So you power you intergallatic stargate with naquadriah. The Naquadriah starts to act up, it sends more power to the gate, but the gate is able to store the energy, besides it using massive amounts of energy to maintain the wormhole, besides which how much power can a properly small amount of naquadriah emit at one time anyway? The Naquadriah trys to a different tactic, it reduces the power to the gate, well the gate is fine it has some energy all ready stored.

The usefullness of a naquadriah generator to power an intergallactic gate depends a number of factors:

The energy storage capacity of the gate.
                The frequency response of the gate.
                The characteristic instability of the naquadriah.
                The reponse of a small naquadriah generator to maximum loading.
                The step down response of a naquadriah generator from high loading to low loading.

For example, say we know that the stargate can store enough energy to establish and maintain an intergalactic wormhole for 5 minutes, then we can simply chose an amount of Naquadriah that will give up that amount of energy within an acceptable time range (be it a minute, 10 minutes, an hour, and so forth). We charge the gate, then we can use it for five minute wormhole. In this example we do not really mind so much what the characteristic of the naquadriah are.

Now another example, suppose we know that the gate will be able to draw enough energy from the naquadriah to establish a connection, and that following the connection we know that the generator will provide an unstable flow of energy. If the characteristics of this generator are such that any power provided above the amount needed to maintain the connection does not averaged over the duration of the connection deposit within the stargate
                an amount of energy greater than its capacity.

Basicly it comes down to statistics, given the power distribution and the expected stored energy, we ask ourselves what is the probability that a duration of time will occur that the capacity of the stargate is exceeded, or the stored energy is drained and the connection lost.

When Prometheus used a Naquadriah generator it used a buffer to make its use acceptable. My arguement is that the gate is itself a much better buffer, and by using an appriately bounded naquadriah supply, the gate could maintain inter-galactic wormholes.

--

More Fun with Naquadriah,

The Atlantis shield generator seems to very accepting of its power source as well. Might not Naquadriah be useful there as well. What could be a more unstable power source than the intermittant strikes of lightning?

Comment

Let me just start off by saying that since a wormhole is 0 distance to begin with, why should a wormhole from me to my coffee mug next to my monitor require any more power than a wormhole from me to Pegasus?

It's called a plot device folks, and most plot devices DON'T make sense under intense scrutiny. The point of it is to keep us interested and doing exactly what we're doing...filling up the internet with convo about it.

But seriously, if for SOME REASON UNEXPLICABLE it did indeed require more power to dial the gate system in the next galaxy, then why not employ this idea...

Obviously, the power source in a DHD is capable of establishing a wormhole to a destination 100,000 light years away, then why not just tie 25 DHD's together on one planet to provide the necessary power to establish a wormhole to a destination 2,500,000 light years away? All you need it the power supply from the DHD's, you don't even have to seriously screw with the hardware to pull it off.

I guess the writers thought that having 25 DHD's stacked in a corner of the embarkation room at the SGC would just look to trailer trash (not to mention the headache of explaining in the show where they got all them DHD's).
                  "For truth hath better deeds than words to grace it..."

Comment

Working...
                  X