This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
    In the early days of the space race, the US government spent millions of dollars on a pen that would work in space(cause the ink would leave paper b4 the ink could dry), or anyother zero gravity environment, giving birth to the "space pen"(which you can now buy btw). The russians looked at the problem of writing in space alot simpler and spent under a dollar on a pencil.
    The US used those pencils too. They didn't like the pencils because in a pure oxygen environment dry wood catches fire very very very very very very very very easily (remember the Velcro on Apollo 1. It wouldn't catch on fire in a standard earth atmosphere). Hence, because of the huge safety concerns (the pencils WOULD eventually have caused a fatal fire), they spent millions to develop a safer alternative. There were also problems with pieces of lead breaking on and sticking in instruments, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65
      The US used those pencils too. They didn't like the pencils because in a pure oxygen environment dry wood catches fire very very very very very very very very easily (remember the Velcro on Apollo 1. It wouldn't catch on fire in a standard earth atmosphere). Hence, because of the huge safety concerns (the pencils WOULD eventually have caused a fatal fire), they spent millions to develop a safer alternative. There were also problems with pieces of lead breaking on and sticking in instruments, etc.
      Dang, I guess that prooves my "Russians do things better" theory out the window...also, Mckay, good diagram
      Question is: How the hell would they put the SG (stargate for those who...oi!) back together? Or even take it apart for that matter.

My theory is, they slid in each section seperately, and jerry-rigged (don't ask me how!) it to open and close.
      Also, is the Iris a prop? or is it CGI?

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended Times.2
        Dang, I guess that prooves my "Russians do things better" theory out the window...also, Mckay, good diagram
        Question is: How the hell would they put the SG (stargate for those who...oi!) back together? Or even take it apart for that matter.

My theory is, they slid in each section seperately, and jerry-rigged (don't ask me how!) it to open and close.
        Also, is the Iris a prop? or is it CGI?
        In reality, the iris is a prop. It could be CGI sometimes. I was thinking that they put it in the Big O in seperate sections just before where the event horizon is created. Then they don't need to open up the SG. I don't even know how they would open it up without causing any damage to it.
        Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
        Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
          In reality, the iris is a prop. It could be CGI sometimes. I was thinking that they put it in the Big O in seperate sections just before where the event horizon is created. Then they don't need to open up the SG. I don't even know how they would open it up without causing any damage to it.
          When the Iris is closed, it's a prop. When it's opening, or closing, it's CGI.
          "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
          "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
            When the Iris is closed, it's a prop. When it's opening, or closing, it's CGI.
            Yes, that's true IMForeman.
            Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
            Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

read the snopes explination of the pencil thing with nasa

Comment

Yeah and spacecraft don't use pure oxygen environments so...

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                  In the early days of the space race, the US government spent millions of dollars on a pen that would work in space(cause the ink would leave paper b4 the ink could dry), or anyother zero gravity environment, giving birth to the "space pen"(which you can now buy btw). The russians looked at the problem of writing in space alot simpler and spent under a dollar on a pencil.
                  Seems that would by my first thought too. But you know how the government is. Have to complicate everything.

24/7 Wake - KrackHouse server: 69.28.221.211:16567
                  24/7 Groundpounders - Krackhouse: 69.28.221.210:16567
                  Both heavily admined.

Comment

Seeing as you can buy those pens these days maybe they even made profit out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyMckay
                      How do they store the Iris inside the gate?
                      Originally posted by Gaterholic
                      why do all the aliens speak english?
                      Uh?...[blink,blink]
                      LOL
                      O'Neill: They didn't go for it.
                      Carter: They didn't approve the mission?
                      O'Neill: Oh, no they did that. Once they knew the stakes and the whole fate of the universe stuff. Both the President and Hammond realized we had no choice. He sends good luck, godspeed, all those things he says when he thinks we're gonna die.
                      Carter: So what didn't they go for?
                      O'Neill: The name I suggested.
                      Carter: For the ship?
                      O'Neill: Yeah.
                      Carter: Yeah. Sir, we can't call it the 'Enterprise'.
                      O'Neill: Why Not?!
                      -Unnatural Selection

Comment

they speak basic!!!

nah they speak english cuz of budget and time issues. they don't wanna spend 20minutes each ep learning a new language

Comment

IMO, They could of modified the gate
                          The gate is virtually indestructible. It's apparently made of Naquada, but the Ancients must have figured out a way to make it harder, (some kind of treatment, like how we heat treat various metals to alter their hardness, maybe?). It can survive being surrounded by liquid naquada, meteor hits, being enveloped by materials hot enough to be at a plasma state, etc.

Cutting into it would be impossible with our level of technology.
                          sigpic

Comment

How do they store the Iris inside the gate?
                            Sellotape...Strong Sellotape.
                            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Obviously they never heard of plastic/rubber pencils!

Comment

you can't cut the gate!!!! it's made of naquada so it'd be really hard to cut . plus it's a giant super conductor so you'd probably ruin it's "superconducting abilities". and like anyone would wanna mutilate a beautiful stargate.

Comment

Working...
                                X