Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Matter if the ancients had fighters or not. The Warships and PJ had to be constructed somewhere and Atlantis doesn't seem to me to be able to construct them. I think there's got to be some sort of shipyard hidden somewhere in the galaxy. I would like to see the atlantis team find one next season. but it should be out of power. dead in space.

Spoilers:
    I would also like to see rodney get the aurora ship they find in inferno working

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Leader
      No Matter if the ancients had fighters or not. The Warships and PJ had to be constructed somewhere and Atlantis doesn't seem to me to be able to construct them. I think there's got to be some sort of shipyard hidden somewhere in the galaxy. I would like to see the atlantis team find one next season. but it should be out of power. dead in space.

Spoilers:
      I would also like to see rodney get the aurora ship they find in inferno working
      Yeah but the shipyards would most likely have been destroyed, if not by the attacking wraith then by the retreating Ancients. I for one wouldn't like to leave my advanced shipyard(inc all tech) for my enemies to get their hands on.

And as for :poiler::
      Rodney getting the Aurora Class Warship operational
      I highly doubt it'd last as it would give the team a HUGE advantage over the wraith.

Comment

well thats not true the ancients still lost and i qoute our ships won almost every battle but no matter how many wraith we destroyed more cept coming
        so why have loads of unsheilded fighters which pack lets say 20 drones to a warship that in my view could hold thousands???no i am not goin over the top the alteran outpost on earth was smaller that a aurora warship and it had thousands.
        poiler::
        i hope that the aurora in inferno will survive for a little while maybe they will keep it in stratigic reserve...
        tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
        yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
        Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

::poiler::::
          "i hope that the aurora in inferno will survive for a little while maybe they will keep it in stratigic reserve..."
          I garuntee that they will get it flying but the weapons and Hyperdrive will be totally unsalvageble. I'd say the most TPTB will allow is that they might be able to retrieve drones from it to resupply Atlantis's bays.

Comment

i think the ancients had fighters, especially due to attack signature. A fighter would hav an attack signature several thousand times less than a capital ship. For example, the US airforce doesn't just use bombers, sure they can fire anywhere and do huge amounts of damage and transport people, but two fighters are more than enough to destroy a bomber.

Comment

I agree with Neros comments, just because they had the crew numbers to fill a warship does not mean they have the numbers to fill fighters. We are also working on the assumption that drones are the primary weapon which i kind of doubt since they are kind of limited due to ammunition. More likely perhaps smaller versions of the defence satelittes beams.

Also you must remember that essentially the atlanteans were a race of scientists, war was something they had never experienced until the Wraith War. This combined with their peaceful nature meant that the idea of putting a member of their race into small fighter sized ships would be a waste of life. PJs are one thing since they are technically armed shuttles which were not designed for fighter duties though could fulfil that role in a manner. I mean if i were an advanced race why would i want to put my people into fighters? sure they are fast and military like but they would be a waste of life unless you dont care about your people.

Also on the theory about drones being not usable if the control ship is destroyed well same can go with fighters if the carrier is destroyed. So not much of a difference between the two except fewer lives are lost. Fighters are mainly used by younger races or races who do not care much about their own peoples lives, many advantages but can be seen as more barbaric by advanced races. I mean i doubt the Asgard have fighters, if they did they would be automated more likely.

Not only this they suffered a population problem, meaning there were fewer ancients due to them being a splinter group from the MW and the fact that the plague diminished their numbers.

Not saying its the perfect tactic or doctrine but saying that is a reasonable idea.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                i think the ancients had fighters, especially due to attack signature. A fighter would hav an attack signature several thousand times less than a capital ship. For example, the US airforce doesn't just use bombers, sure they can fire anywhere and do huge amounts of damage and transport people, but two fighters are more than enough to destroy a bomber.
                We are talking about highly advanced races here, whether a craft is smaller and has less of a signiture doesn't matter. they are stil detected and all too easily destroyed. Sure look at the prometheus, its original Radar could detect the smaller Go'auld Death gliders. I don't think Wraith sensors would have trouble detecting Ancient fighters if there were any. The Daedalus can track the wraith darts aswell.

And as for the U.S not just using bombers, simple fact is bombers are vunerable to fighters. However you don't see them stationing Fighters on their Destroyers or Cruisers now do you?......

Comment

As it has been pointed out, a well equipped ancient WARship will never need any squadron of fighters and bombers.
                  When you consider the Ancients' weapons and defenses, when they really go berserk, the use of fighters would be futile.

Multiple drone banks, laser batteries (satellite cannon in the Sieg Part I) and pulse cannons (ancient defense turret in Trinity), with ZPMs and their nice shields would be enough.
                  All this used on conjunction with time devices (you'll understand what I mean) and eventually the mother of all bombs, the ZPM-bomb, and you've got a very nice ship here.

Fighters will be of no use.

The only thing the ancient warships would need is some sort of long range scout unit (see Star Wars droids in TESB or any spaceship on cloak and with good sensors, like, haha, a gateship, which are already armed with drones), and armoured transports for personnal and supplies.

The only advantage of using fighters is that they can eventually fly below the point defense grid, and attack a Wraith ship without being hit. But then Wraith darts would scheme in and track these ancient fighters.

Wraith darts are no menace to capships. Any Wraith capship, hive or cruiser, will be utterly destroyed by any well equipped ancient warship. Instant long range guns, autoguided missiles which ignore shields and eat through matter, and pulse cannons which can shred entire fleets to bits is plenty enough here.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Technically, the Wraith Darts can be abit of a menace should they resort to ramming. While carrying no heavy weapons the ramming itself would cause significant damage though shields would protect a cap ship from most of the harm.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Unamed
                      ok I posted this question in the ask joe thread already but i decided to make a dicussion about it here too.
                      Are/were the puddle jumpers just ment to be a means of transportation for the ancients of atlantis, as in civilian vechiles opposed to military fighters? To me it seems they wer'nt ment for military purposes and just had drones on board in case of emergencies and self defence. Are we ever going to see purpose built ancient fighters similar to the death gliders or darts?? Or do you think that its just going to be jumpers.
                      I also wondered about ancient warships like the Aoura(sp) did they have fighter bays and would they have again been pj's or purpose built fighters.
                      I believe it was the woman in the ancient hologram who said "although Atlantian ships were superior they could not cope with the vast numbers that opposed them" or something to that affect, if the ancients did have fighters superior to the wraith darts onboard there ships, then theoretically speaking they shouldn't have lost the war!

But dont take my word for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
                        Technically, the Wraith Darts can be abit of a menace should they resort to ramming. While carrying no heavy weapons the ramming itself would cause significant damage though shields would protect a cap ship from most of the harm.
                        Hm yes, like any fighter which velocity would tend to near c, representing a huge level of kinetic energy. But then the energy used to propel the fighters at such speeds could directly used on weapons.
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

We should probably have a definition posted that we can all work from for different devices in aerial combat. I'll do that using wikipedia. This hopefully will clear up whether the ancients needed fighters when they have the drones (drones=missile).
                          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                          Caboose: They could be worse?
                          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Here are some linkshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomber
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighter_aircrafthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmanned_aerial_vehicle
                            This should clear some stuff up (I might post the ship stuff later)
                            Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                            The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                            I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                            A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                            That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                            Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                            Caboose: They could be worse?
                            Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master
                              Here are some linkshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomber
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighter_aircrafthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmanned_aerial_vehicle
                              This should clear some stuff up (I might post the ship stuff later)
                              it dosent...
                              tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
                              yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
                              Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

Well I personaly think ancients had ships all types and sizes. I imagine they had fighters. I imagine they were not enough capital ships to defend every planet they lived at and just fly in orbit all the time. Drone weapons are powerful but have limited ammo. I wonder if some ancient fighters were controled by a chair device were the person in the chair could fly several at once similar to the aerofighters the race had in the stargate sg-1.In the episode were they should them Jack controled a squadron of the aerofighter with his mind.
                                http://www.stargatetechworld.com/gif...f302launch.gif

Comment

Working...
                                X