This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Three PhDs
    That wasn't rock, that was just mud and dirt, as Teal'c was able to dig up through it and O'Neill down through it.
    Maybe what Teal'c was dealing with. But the layer directly on top of the gate was at one point molten naquada. After it was pushed back a few microns, the kawoosh was able to destroy it.

Edit:

Oh!
    Spoiler:
    It destroyed the Ancient Communication device in Origin, or Avalon, or one of those episodes. That was made of a very hard substance. Firing a gun at it didn't even make a dent.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain_kirk999
      Well if you notice, the Atlantis gate is wedged in the floor with no gap whatsoever:

http://www.southport58thscouts.co.uk...antis_gate.gif

and you'd think the kawoosh would eat it up in a second, but maybe the floor of the Atlantis gateroom is indestructable or something?
      The kawoosh happens higher than the floor, otherwise if you're caught up close to the gate, ducking won't help.
      Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
      Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Mabey if you stand right in the middle of the gate you'll be fine! lol.
        302's lead the way!

Comment

Originally posted by TrustNo1
          The gate can however stop atmosphere from going through a wormhole
          That fact is stange. In the episode "Watergate" (407), the Gate prevents the ocean to go through the horizon, but in "A matter of time" (216) the smoke done by an explosion go through the Gate because it is attracted by the black hole. I know what you are going to say, that because the black hole attracts it, the smoke is obliged to pass through, so it is just a question of movement. So the wind could pass through the event horizon, but it doesn't. Can somebody explain that to me ?
          Please forgive my English, I'm French

"The act itself never varies. But each kiss carries with it a meaning all its own. It can convey a husband's eternal devotion... Or a wife's enormous regret... It can symbolize a mother's growing concern... Or a lover's growing passion... But whatever its meaning, each kiss reflects a basic human need; the need to connect to another human being. This desire is so strong it's always amazing when some people don’t understand it." Desperate Housewives, "One more kiss"

Comment

I think it was explained in Watergate. The Stargate was the ability to sense the direction and velocity of a particle. It uses that to determind if the particle intends to pass through or not.
            This poster has a Superiority Complex. Apologies in advance.

Comment

The 'water' in Watergate was living, so it choose not to move through the Stargate.

As for the Ramp thing, it's probably just another one of those magical laws of physics breaking things.

Comment

If the event horizon is infinitely thin, then you wouldn't be able to see the slice it cuts into the floor.

Comment

This feels like a really stupid question, but then what about the iris? I think that if the gate has something over is or that would be in the path of the kawoosh, it just doesn't destroy it.
                  Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                  The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                  A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                  That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                  Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                  Caboose: They could be worse?
                  Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master
                    This feels like a really stupid question, but then what about the iris? I think that if the gate has something over is or that would be in the path of the kawoosh, it just doesn't destroy it.
                    You see, the kawoosh is actually made up of very nasty horrible destructive particle.

The iris is soooo close that these particles can't even form. If they can't form, then they can't do any harm.

If there was a fault in the iris, like, a section of it was moved a few microns further from the gate, then it would get a hole in it. But no, It's apparently perfect.

See 'A Hundred Days':

TEAL’C: If the Edoran STARGATE were truly buried, how then was the wormhole established?

CARTER: The meteor hit while the wormhole was active.

DANIEL: So, so?

CARTER: So it’s possible that the molten naquada hardened just above the event horizon.

DANIEL: Like an iris.

CARTER: Yes.

HAMMOND: Wormhole physics, a field, Major, that you pioneered, states that under these conditions, ordinary matter won’t even reintegrate on the other side. There’s no way to overcome that.

CARTER: I think there is, Sir. And I’m not the one who thought of it. SOKAR did.

HAMMOND: SOKAR?

CARTER: Yes, Sir. When he tried to breach the iris by bombarding it with a particle beam. Sub-atomic particles barely small enough to reintegrate produced energy as they decayed.

HAMMOND: Which caused the iris to heat up.

CARTER: Exactly. Now, if we could do the same thing we could melt the hardened naquada barrier just above the event horizon and create a pocket of superheated gas.

HAMMOND: And then what?

CARTER: Well, then all we have to do is open the Gate again, Sir. The unstable vortex it normally generates would then be allowed to expand into that pocket and create an even larger cavern. One person might be able to go through, Sir, and dig it out.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                      You see, the kawoosh is actually made up of very nasty horrible destructive particle.

The iris is soooo close that these particles can't even form. If they can't form, then they can't do any harm.

If there was a fault in the iris, like, a section of it was moved a few microns further from the gate, then it would get a hole in it. But no, It's apparently perfect.

See 'A Hundred Days':
                      Proper maintenance is all you need.
                      sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Siler.
                        I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

The water didn't pass through the gate in "Watergate" because it was an outgoing wormhole!! Way to over-analyze guys, and gals. The simplest, and most likely, answer is that the only thing that breaks down the matter is the kawoosh (we need a more scientific term for that thing), and that the ramp/floor never touches it, thus is not broken down, becuase it is below it. Very simple.

P.S. If the kawoosh only broke down soft/organic matter, then it wouldn't get rock, or even the guns carried by the SG-3(?) member that leaped into the kawoosh because he wanted more of "The Light."

Case sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by theStormWeaver
                            kawoosh (we need a more scientific term for that thing)
                            Try "Vortex Explosion."
                            This poster has a Superiority Complex. Apologies in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by theStormWeaver
                              The water didn't pass through the gate in "Watergate" because it was an outgoing wormhole!! Way to over-analyze guys, and gals. The simplest, and most likely, answer is that the only thing that breaks down the matter is the kawoosh (we need a more scientific term for that thing), and that the ramp/floor never touches it, thus is not broken down, becuase it is below it. Very simple.
                              Ummm they had to go back right?
                              I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

The show is self-contradictory, in some episodes if there is matter inside the ring the gate will not activate yet the ramp goes through the ring in nearly every episode and a lot of gates go underground a bit to make them look better, in the movie they had it right, the gate on abydos was in the ground but just enough so that the inner ring wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X