• Show
Clear All

Quote an instance of it.
    Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Sokar is wrong in this case.

Originally posted by Moebius Pt. I
      CARTER: The Daedalus. It has a few advantages over the Prometheus. The more advanced alien technologies were integrated into the original design rather than tacked on after the fact.
      The Daedalus is a BC-303 that was built around what they learned from the X-303 program, Project: Prometheus.
      The BC-303 hull configuration is mostly unchanged, but the position of the hangers, size of the command tower, number of engines, and change in armor configuration might make one think that it was a totally new class of ship; it looks different, but it's only cosmetic.
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
        Sokar is wrong in this case.

The Daedalus is a BC-303 that was built around what they learned from the X-303 program, Project: Prometheus.
        The BC-303 hull configuration is mostly unchanged, but the position of the hangers, size of the command tower, number of engines, and change in armor configuration might make one think that it was a totally new class of ship; it looks different, but it's only cosmetic.
        Those lines were written before the VFX-team designed the Daedalus, if you remember that episode the computer screen also shows the Daedalus to look like the Prometheus.

Even so, The US Navy has used the same hull for different classes of vessels, so that doesn't make the Daedalus a 303.

Comment

Can't threads like this just stay in Fan Fiction?

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

You sound like a grumpy old man
            I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

interesting....I just read on a stargate site about the daedalus and apparently it's size gives it a shed load of draw backs. As it's so small (in comparison to other ships) the full extent of asgard technologies culd not be included, this explains why it is so slow in comparison the asgard ships, also said sumthing about if it woz the size of an asgard ship is wuld have better shields.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit
                interesting....I just read on a stargate site about the daedalus and apparently it's size gives it a shed load of draw backs. As it's so small (in comparison to other ships) the full extent of asgard technologies culd not be included, this explains why it is so slow in comparison the asgard ships, also said sumthing about if it woz the size of an asgard ship is wuld have better shields.
                Link?
                Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

All she said is that Daedalus is like the Prometheus with some new tech. The same could be said of any successor. Daedalus is not a 303.

Comment

The promethius was an experimental ship, the daedulas and other ships in its class are the production version.

Comment

No. They. Are. Not.

They don't look remotely similar, they are described as Daedalus class ships (Americas naming conventions dictate that the class takes the name of the lead ship), the production versions of a ship are the same as the experimental one otherwise they'd have a different number! They aren't of the same class!!!@@!!!1111oneAGITATED

Not once is the Daedalus *ever* described as a 303, what is the sodding debate here?

***http://www.designation-systems.net/u.../aircraft.html***

Comment

Originally posted by Lord §okar
                        No. They. Are. Not.

They don't look remotely similar, they are described as Daedalus class ships (Americas naming conventions dictate that the class takes the name of the lead ship), the production versions of a ship are the same as the experimental one otherwise they'd have a different number! They aren't of the same class!!!@@!!!1111oneAGITATED

Not once is the Daedalus *ever* described as a 303, what is the sodding debate here?

***http://www.designation-systems.net/u.../aircraft.html***
                        Oh I'm so going to regret wading into this.......

Point #1

the USS Jimmy Carter, although some argue differently, is officially considered to be a Seawolf class sub, despite the fact that its 100' longer with a wasp-waist ocean interface

The USS George H.W.Bush is considered to be a Nimitz class carrier, despite an entirely different superstructure, as well as numerous changes within the hull intended to make it a bridge to the CVNX

USS Oscar Austin and subsequent ships are considered to be Arleigh Burkes, despite the completely revamped aft hull and weapons fit

And if you want to argue that we're talking air force equipment, not navy, compare the YF-22 and F/A-22, the B-1A and B-1B, the F-15A and the F-15K/F-15ACTIVE, the F-16A and F-16XL, the YB-52 and B-52H.

My point inj all of this? Late/Production models can differ dramatically from prototypes/early production models due to changes made in light of issues discovered during testing and new requirements. Class designation is all a matter of semantics and technicalities.

Point #2

The BC-303 program covers the development and production of a capital ship for use by the USAF in the role of planetary defense. The Prometheus is the prototype/test/developmental vessel for the program and is its own subclass of vessel within the BC-303 program....the Daedalus is the production vessel built with lessons learned from the Prometheus and is the lead ship for the production variant which also is its own subclass within the overall BC-303 program. The BC-303 designation itself is a project designator interchangeably used with the class designation much like the designation DD(X) is used by the Navy to describe the overall program developing the DD(X) Multimission/Land Attack destroyer, CG(X) Air dominance cruiser and Littoral Combat Ship "Family of Ships" as well as when referring to the DD(X) destroyer program itself...convoluted and insane, yes, and personally I get annoyed with it (DD(X) and BC-303 both) but thats the way it is

And the Daedalus WAS referred to as a 303, just indirectly, in the episode Enemy Mine
                        Last edited by alaskannut; 31 October 2005, 06:09 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
                        "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

And the Daedalus WAS referred to as a 303, just indirectly, in the episode Enemy Mine
                          Just curious regarding this statement!

Did they actually mention Daedalus in this episode. I sure as heck don't remember hearing it.

As far as I can recall they were talking about, production of new BC-303's. This was over two years ago. Whereas back then all they had was Prometheus. That was still using Asgard designed weapons, Shields & a crappy HyperDrive.

They obviously didn't have the tech back then, Otherwise Prometheus would have been outfitted with it then. Especially since Anubis was taking over the galaxy. As far as I'm concerned, Because of Earth helping rid the galaxy of Anubis & helping the Asgard with the Reps (yet again). They decided it was time for a little tech upgrade, Thus came proper Asgard technology, instead of the Asgard designed tech that was currently being used. So since no mention of Daedalus was said, then you can not assume that they were making an indirect reference to it. For all anyone knows, they were most likely referring to building more Prometheus's.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                            They obviously didn't have the tech back then, Otherwise Prometheus would have been outfitted with it then. Especially since Anubis was taking over the galaxy. As far as I'm concerned, Because of Earth helping rid the galaxy of Anubis & helping the Asgard with the Reps (yet again). They decided it was time for a little tech upgrade, Thus came proper Asgard technology, instead of the Asgard designed tech that was currently being used. So since no mention of Daedalus was said, then you can not assume that they were making an indirect reference to it. For all anyone knows, they were most likely referring to building more Prometheus's.
                            Considering the fact that it takes 3 yrs to build a 9000 ton guided missile destroyer and ~1.5-2 yrs to build a ~3000ton Littoral Combat Ship for the navy, I would think it's safe to say that Daedalus has been in construction since late season 6 at least, perhaps even earlier. As such, if this is correct then, I believe it was General Vedrine, would have been referring to it when he mentioned BC-303.

They would not have stopped building Prometheus class ships that were already under construction, scrapped them and then restarted from scratch building Daedalus class ships....they(the fictional USAF) could not have afforded that monetarily or otherwise--they needed those ships NOW! As such what they had on the construction line was simply retrofitted, with some necessary redesigning of some of the ship's stuctural elements, to carry the new techs that you mentioned. Take a good long look at the forward portion of the Daedalus' hull. That's an original Prometheus type hull with some changes--no forward entrance to the hangar bay, what I consider to be the primary railgun Caldwell mentioned in Aurora, and the missile cells which prometheus also has as per Beachhead--which was likely in construction at that time. The major technologies obtained since then (ion engines and Asgard hyperdrive) have been incorporated into the redesigned aft portion of the hull on which work likely began in early season 7, immediately after we got the Serrakin ion engine. This new aft section was then likely spliced on with the original aft portion being removed--stuff like this has been done in real life with Navy ships--and if we really want to get insanely fanboyish here, it could be argued that this work is responsible for the ship not being available before late S8/S1.

I admit, this is merely extrapolation and inference mixed with a little logic , but can you do better with the information at hand while remaining within the limits of credibility and what is physically possible?
                            Last edited by alaskannut; 31 October 2005, 07:13 AM.
                            sigpic
                            Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
                            "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

Alaska makes a good point...once the shakedown on the prototype was finished work began on the upgraded full scale production model that would become the Daedalus..

Comment

Originally posted by alaskannut
                                Oh I'm so going to regret wading into this.......

Point #1

the USS Jimmy Carter, although some argue differently, is officially considered to be a Seawolf class sub, despite the fact that its 100' longer with a wasp-waist ocean interface

The USS George H.W.Bush is considered to be a Nimitz class carrier, despite an entirely different superstructure, as well as numerous changes within the hull intended to make it a bridge to the CVNX

USS Oscar Austin and subsequent ships are considered to be Arleigh Burkes, despite the completely revamped aft hull and weapons fit

And if you want to argue that we're talking air force equipment, not navy, compare the YF-22 and F/A-22, the B-1A and B-1B, the F-15A and the F-15K/F-15ACTIVE, the F-16A and F-16XL, the YB-52 and B-52H.

My point inj all of this? Late/Production models can differ dramatically from prototypes/early production models due to changes made in light of issues discovered during testing and new requirements. Class designation is all a matter of semantics and technicalities.

Point #2

The BC-303 program covers the development and production of a capital ship for use by the USAF in the role of planetary defense. The Prometheus is the prototype/test/developmental vessel for the program and is its own subclass of vessel within the BC-303 program....the Daedalus is the production vessel built with lessons learned from the Prometheus and is the lead ship for the production variant which also is its own subclass within the overall BC-303 program. The BC-303 designation itself is a project designator interchangeably used with the class designation much like the designation DD(X) is used by the Navy to describe the overall program developing the DD(X) Multimission/Land Attack destroyer, CG(X) Air dominance cruiser and Littoral Combat Ship "Family of Ships" as well as when referring to the DD(X) destroyer program itself...convoluted and insane, yes, and personally I get annoyed with it (DD(X) and BC-303 both) but thats the way it is

Very well put I have to agree with you. I have been reading Sokar's posts and although I can see he really believes what he is thinking about the BC-303 and the ded. Being a BC-304.. However I must agree with you on this. I personally have worked on coast guard vessels that where the same class ship yet had some features that other ships of its class did not have (tack on and such). I know you are from Italy Sokar and me being 100% Sicilian I know where the stubbornness of your claim comes from and normally id agree with yah just because your Italian however regardless of what your reading on the web and what its making you believe about the Sci-Fi channels show I know from personal experience working on ships that just because it looks a little different or has completely different features doesn’t mean it has to be a new class.

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Working...
                                X