This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord §okar
    What about if the galaxy was compromised, we could build a gate and send it away, too!

Of course they would need a giant gate at the other end, it would be really confusing for the attackers too,
    I daresay it wouldn't be especially confusing to the attackers, what with the enormous ring filled with blue swallowing the planet.

Also, a portable 'stargate net' would be a great weapon, just send your attacking foe miles away.
    ...and ask them to fly through it?

I fail to see the point of this thread. It has nothing to do with stargate discussion since it's essentially fan fic and there's nothing really scientific about pondering the merits of constructing a 13 thousand kilometer ring (unless, of course, you're the Forerunners, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_%28megastructure%29).
    You know, I agree with you, it would be very diificult to gate an entire planet for several reasons, but there is no requirement for the intense sarcasm you have included in your post. You can very simply state your opinions without attacking other forum members for their ideas.

It would be very difficult to gate an entire planet for several reasons, but nevertheless it is very possible and is a very interesting concept. Great Idea!

Owen Macri

Comment

You can very simply state your opinions without attacking other forum members for their ideas.
      Very well.

I think the premise of this thread is vapid. It's so fan-y, it doesn't ask a question it's just "ZOMG wouldn't be so awesome if we had a gate the size of a planet!!!111@2"

It would be very difficult to gate an entire planet for several reasons, but nevertheless it is very possible and is a very interesting concept.
      It's possible, is it? Do go on.
      Last edited by Lord §okar; 07 November 2005, 09:48 PM.
      Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
        It would be very difficult to gate an entire planet for several reasons, but nevertheless it is very possible and is a very interesting concept. Great Idea!
        That seems conceptually contradictory. In the first part, you call the act of beaming a planet "very difficult". That seems to indicate that you acknowledge that scientifically (not just in the make believe stargate world) such a feat would be, well, impossible. But then you go on and say that it is "very possible". Now you lost me. Is it very possible on the show? Hey, at least it could technically be done on the show through the magic of CGI. But scientifically, "very possible" is hardly a way to describe the act of beaming a planet.

I'm not trying to attack you personally, I'm just wondering where you're coming from.
        The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by hyzmarca
          Instead of describing an oxygen molecule 5 times you could just as easily note is as 5*(Oxygen molecule). Persuming that the gas isn't alive, you only need to know the number of molecules, not their positions. The same can be said for water and other liquids. 5*H2O is much more space friendly than H20 H20 H20 H20. Solutions and unstable liquids would pose more of a problem, of course.
          The problem I have with that is "how do you encode 5"? Any storage medium, no matter how efficient, will take up a great deal more molecules to store the number five. The effect would be like adding all the text in the Bible to your shopping list.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sokar
            Very well.

I think the premise of this thread is vapid. It's so fan-y, it doesn't ask a question it's just "ZOMG wouldn't be so awesome if we had a gate the size of a planet!!!111@2"
            I think the idea is very interesting. To gate a planet to a new location would be a difficult feat it would be interesting to try it out. lol.

Originally posted by Lord Sokar
            It's possible, is it? Do go on.
            Of course:

We take an Asgard ship we combine the power of all of the transporters and input the information required to rematerialize a much larger transporter. We hook up a fully charged ZPM to the transporter matrix to guarantee the power is available. After we have materialized the bigger, more powerful transporter we input the information required to materialize a zero point module, we materialize as many as we need and hook them into our brand-spankin'-new transporter. We then program our brand-spankin'-new transporter with the information required to materialize our giant gate. We then take our transporter and we go to the region where we want to move our planet and we materialize another gate. as well we materialize a star equal to ours. We then move our first gate into Earth's path and wait for it to go through the gate. Meanwhile our second gate is the exact same position as our first gate relative to our brand-spankin'-new star.

Sound good? Well not to me, unless we want to flood the Earth we are going to need the moon too. So we scan the moon and we send the information to our brand-spankin'-new transporter, which is in orbit around our brand-spankin'-new sun, then we materialize a new moon in orbit around our new sun and use the Asgard tractor beams (I am sure they have tractor beams) to set the moon in an orbit around where the Earth would be and start it in an orbit around the sun as well. So when the Earth gets there there are no tidal effects.

Boom, bam, Earth! It would take precision timing and a lot of energy but it could be done.

Originally posted by helio0
            That seems conceptually contradictory. In the first part, you call the act of beaming a planet "very difficult". That seems to indicate that you acknowledge that scientifically (not just in the make believe stargate world) such a feat would be, well, impossible. But then you go on and say that it is "very possible". Now you lost me. Is it very possible on the show? Hey, at least it could technically be done on the show through the magic of CGI. But scientifically, "very possible" is hardly a way to describe the act of beaming a planet.

I'm not trying to attack you personally, I'm just wondering where you're coming from.
            lol, that is ok, I don't mind answering questions.

Well it would be difficult based on our present level of technology, however, it is still possible, and in terms of possibility it is very possible. Difficulty has nothing to do with possibility. In our universe, I doubt we could do this without some kind of intervention by a superior race, however, in the Stargate universe it is unlikely that we COULDN'T do it. lol.

Understand?

Owen Macri

Comment

After we have materialized the bigger, more powerful transporter we input the information required to materialize a zero point module, we materialize as many as we need
              Therein lies the problem. If you could just magic up ZPMs, you wouldn't need to.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

In theory, you can just "magic up" ZPMs, that is after we understand how they lock onto their particular self-contained region of subspacetime. Allright perhaps that is the one flaw in my idea. So instead we build a couple Dyson Spheres and uses the energy from a couple of humongus stars.

Owen Macri

Comment

In theory, you can just "magic up" ZPMs, that is after we understand how they lock onto their particular self-contained region of subspacetime. Allright perhaps that is the one flaw in my idea. So instead we build a couple Dyson Spheres and uses the energy from a couple of humongus stars.

Owen Macri
                  In theory I can dance a merry jig roud Sirius and return before I left, but let's stick to the science we know now to be true.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

In theory you can, but what is science without theory, if all scientists only focused on the facts at hand and a theory was never accepted then where would we be? Yes, you could come up with a theory, but you would immediately have to get rid of it because you wouldn't beleive in theories and no one would believe you because they don't believe in theories.

Owen Macri

Comment

Way to miss the point.
                      Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

I didn't miss any points, I was theorizing, and that is a way of gating a planet. You asked me to explain, I did.

That is a perfect example of what not to do, you are using sarcasm to insult me, to put me down. You don't need to do that, that is not the point of the GateWorld Forum, if you want to insult people, this is not the place to do it. All I am asking is that you respect the forum rules and post politely.

"Owen, that wasn't what I was talking about, I was actually saying..."

or

"Owen, that is exactly my point..."

Owen Macri

Comment

Owen Macri
                          Even if humans in the Stargate universe gain an understanding of how ZPMs are created, based on the fact that the Ancients had so few of them, it's reasonable to assume that the process involved in creating them is actually quite difficult. If they could in fact be "magicked up", Atlantis would probably have had a stockpile instead of just the three.

Comment

That is not necesarily true, the Ancients didn't have "so few" they had just the amount that they needed, think about it. What would the point be of having a stockpile of ZPMs you aren't using. It is more likely that the Ancients could create them like we do pencils and whenever they needed one they made it, they had no need for a stockpile.

Owen Macri

Comment

That is not necesarily true, the Ancients didn't have "so few" they had just the amount that they needed, think about it. What would the point be of having a stockpile of ZPMs you aren't using. It is more likely that the Ancients could create them like we do pencils and whenever they needed one they made it, they had no need for a stockpile.

Owen Macri
                              Lol. Nice. Got spare batteries in the house? Why? Why not just go and buy them when you need them? Maybe cause at that particular point in time, it may not be convenient to go buy some.
                              If it were easy, of course the Ancients would have had a room full of them. If for no other reason, then as a "rainy day" supply.
                              The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

That is not necesarily true, the Ancients didn't have "so few" they had just the amount that they needed, think about it. What would the point be of having a stockpile of ZPMs
                                Maybe erm, to defeat the Wraith?

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Working...
                                X