This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abiron
    Umm...no. Big enough for ships, yes. Planets, not even close. Carter said it was 300-400 meters across. At 400m, it's not even a quarter of a mile across.
    And I'd just like to add that the 400m supergate was powered by a black hole. So what would it take exactly to transport a planet? lol. You really want to mess with that?
    The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Why go to the trouble of building a gate that size? There are the Alpha sites too. Plus if they had that much time and technology why not build something equivalent to the Dyson Spheres they had in Star Trek. Granted that is reaching and might be completely out there, but an artificial planet?
      Heck even Star Wars utilized the concept when they built the Death Star.
      All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
      Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by pleed
        I was thinking today.
        If Earth was compromised, could they build a giant gate and send the entire planet somewhere else? Of course they would need a giant gate at the other end, it would be really confusing for the attackers too,

Also, a portable 'stargate net' would be a great weapon, just send your attacking foe miles away.
        Well, wouldn't it be embarassing if the planet was caught in the giant woosh?
        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Well, the Asguard could beam a whole building, maybe they could beam a planet. That way you wouldn't need to build a giant gate. you just build a giant buffer for the transporter and then transport the planet through the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkElfa
            Well, the Asguard could beam a whole building, maybe they could beam a planet. That way you wouldn't need to build a giant gate. you just build a giant buffer for the transporter and then transport the planet through the gate.
            The buffer would need to be as big as the object it was beaming.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Interesting: we have seen how an Asgard ship can use its transporters as a weapon and yet their entire race is impotent against the replicators. Ok, so maybe they've somehow blocked the effect exploited by the beamers, why do the ships have reactors? Factually any kind of reaction that can be conducted between matter in a vessel will be far less efficient than just dematerializing the same amount and feeding it into your ship.

The two exceptions would be if the transporter uses more energy/kg than would be yielded or if the generators live up the their namesake and somehow capture neutrinos.
              Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Even if you could transport an entire planet, you would have to insert in the right orbit of a star. too close *sizzle* too far *brrr* put it in the wrong insertion point and you could have major earthquakes and stuff. and not to mention what if the planet has a moon? wouldn't you need the moon to go with it to make sure that the lunar orbit doesn't change?

Pay it forward

Comment

Well theoretically, a race as advanced as the Asguard could make those kind of precise calculations.

Also I doubt you would need a buffer the size of a planet to beam one. They didn't need a building sized buffer to beam the building, did they?

Comment

They probably compressed it in a zip file.

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys

But seriously, it makes sense, doesn't it? They would obviously have to create a massive buffer, but it would be far less expensive and material intensiove than building a giant gate. It seems to me that if the Asguard were going to attemt something of that nature, this would be there route.

Comment

Well theoretically, a race as advanced as the Asguard could make those kind of precise calculations.
                        I could make them calculations with paper, pencil and a calculator. It's all basic basic newtonian laws of motion and a bit of gravitation.

Also I doubt you would need a buffer the size of a planet to beam one. They didn't need a building sized buffer to beam the building, did they?
                        You would, and I'll let you wonder for a while why you would.

Originally posted by skritsys
                        Nup, compression wouldn't work either.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Matter doesn't take up the same space when dematerialized.

Comment

How much space does it take up?
                            Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Matter doesn't take up the same space when dematerialized.
                              Keep thinking... don't trust what you see on the show and think.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Don't trust what we see on the show? Bummer...and I thought that the Jaffa were real and that Stargates had a telephone number. Does this mean Joe M. should quit his day job now?

Comment

Working...
                                X