Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NASA's "Prometheus" program in jeopardy.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helio9
    I wonder...wouldn't it be nice if they decided to power the ISS with a nuclear powerplant module?
    All the ISS systems were designed around using their solar cells for power. Putting a nuke reactor in the ISS would be overkill on many levels.

The ISS is a joke anyway. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see it decommissioned in the next 10 years.

That way, they'd already be developing a space version of a reactor and dealing with whatever issues that may bring with it, without haveing to immediately deal with survivng re-entry.
    They've been developing Radioisotope Thermalelectric Generators for the last 40 years. Going from those to a reactor isn't a far leap.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

They've been developing Radioisotope Thermalelectric Generators for the last 40 years. Going from those to a reactor isn't a far leap.
      Uh...what? an RTG is a device that gets its energy from radioactive decay, which is a fairly constant, non volatile reaction that doesnt have any large cooling requirements. The same can't be said for a full fledged nuclear reactor. The process by which an RTG generates electricity is passive, we dont have to do anything...a nuclear reactor requires complex regulation to generate usable energy safely...saying it's a not a far leap is well...misleading.
      The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Uh...what? an RTG is a device that gets its energy from radioactive decay, which is a fairly constant, non volatile reaction that doesnt have any large cooling requirements. The same can't be said for a full fledged nuclear reactor. The process by which an RTG generates electricity is passive, we dont have to do anything...a nuclear reactor requires complex regulation to generate usable energy safely...saying it's a not a far leap is well...misleading.
        You must be an engineer

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
          You must be an engineer
          Err...working on it. I'm a first year Electrical engineering student. You?
          The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

*decides he needs a RTG*
            how much power do those things put out?

Comment

I have no idea, I doubt there are public schematics for them. But I'd assume that for an array of them for a satellite or something, the whole array might put out a couple hundred watts maximum, and thats for a huge satellite like Cassini.

Oh and you probably don't "need" one of them, they're radioactive lol.

Comment

Err...working on it. I'm a first year Electrical engineering student. You?
                Sorry, I like to pick out engineers from the scientists. It's a game I like to play. I'm a 31 year student of natural philosophy.

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                *decides he needs a RTG*
                how much power do those things put out?
                Perhaps you should look here.

I have no idea, I doubt there are public schematics for them. But I'd assume that for an array of them for a satellite or something, the whole array might put out 100W maximum, and thats for a huge satellite like Cassini.

Oh and you probably don't "need" one of them, they're radioactive lol.
                Yeah, not for public consumption. For consumers, check out betavoltaics instead.

Comment

Perhaps you should look here.
                  Yeah, not for public consumption. For consumers, check out betavoltaics instead.
                  thanks

Comment

Betavoltaic cells could be used in a lot of things, but they just don't, because people don't like the idea of a radioactive isotope in their laptops and iPods. And its too close to the word "nuclear". Quite annoying.

Sorry, I like to pick out engineers from the scientists. It's a game I like to play. I'm a 31 year student of natural philosophy.
                    Ah. I have a vague idea, but I'd love to know how you can tell.

Comment

Betavoltaic cells could be used in a lot of things, but they just don't, because people don't like the idea of a radioactive isotope in their laptops and iPods.
                      Yeah, ignorance is pretty scary.

And its too close to the word "nuclear". Quite annoying.
                      Betavoltaics are 100% safe, as long as you don't eat them, course you probably shouldn't eat batteries anyway

Comment

Betavoltaics are 100% safe, as long as you don't eat them, course you probably shouldn't eat batteries anyway
                        hear that kids, no eating radioactive materials
                        people are too paranoid about the word nuclear. You mention it on something and they then refer the product as a dangerous thing. Yet if nuclear fusion is perfected it will be 100% safe, yet it will probably be marked for some time as a dangerour way of generating electricity purely because it has the word "nuclear" in the reaction name.

Comment

Yeah, ignorance is pretty scary.

Thank you! I've been trying to remember the term for this kind of battery to prove my point that the the naquida generators aren't generators but batteries to be more precise they're betavoltaic batteries

Comment

Yeah, you dont want a bunch of battery acid burning your insides. Beta radiation can be blocked by a thin sheet of metal, which essentially makes it ideal for batteries...since they're usually encased in metal. Who knows when public perception will change radically enough to allow for them.

Comment

Yeah, you dont want a bunch of battery acid burning your insides. Beta radiation can be blocked by a thin sheet of metal, which essentially makes it ideal for batteries...since they're usually encased in metal. Who knows when public perception will change radically enough to allow for them.
                              maybe in 2035 we could by them off the corner store (finally watch Back to the future one. Seen 2 and 3 ages ago). The oinly problem is convincing the public that they can't be used in nuclear weapons by terrorists

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                                hear that kids, no eating radioactive materials
                                people are too paranoid about the word nuclear. You mention it on something and they then refer the product as a dangerous thing. Yet if nuclear fusion is perfected it will be 100% safe, yet it will probably be marked for some time as a dangerour way of generating electricity purely because it has the word "nuclear" in the reaction name.
                                Well, let's fix that problem and change the name to something lile "fairyfloss generator" lol, something nice and sweet and avoid that nasty word "nuclear"

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Working...
                                X