Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats a good point why dont they use the beaming tech to mine things or create stuff they need?

one reason for them not doing is maybe the asgard didn't give them that ability? maybe they only let them move things from one place to another not keep energy patterns stored in buffers or create new things from raw energy.

this might cut down on problems us youngings might have like people or things getting trapped or us using that to kill hundreds of people at a time with no effort, they didn't even like us beaming nukes to one of our worst enemies.

one thing that would support this is in sg1 Ex Dues Machinea
    Spoiler:
    they beamed the building into space for it to blow up why not just keep i it suspended in the energy buffer and erase it, no explotion and no chance of anyone seeing that explotion

Comment

Originally posted by CueBa'al
      Not what I had in mind. Example: An SG team finds an ancient weapon. They use the beaming tech to grab it, analyze it, and possibly even fabricate one of their own. For instance in Trinity, McKay could have beamed the cannon itself aboard the Daedalus's computers in order to obtain its technology. You see what I'm saying? In other words, if O'Neill can use Asgard beaming tech to fabricate the disruptor weapon, then obviously the technology's uses are varied and many.
      he didn't use beaming tech to fabricate the disruptor weapon Spoilers for New Order 1 and 2
      Spoiler:
      his consiousness was uploaded into an asgard computor and he still had access to the repository knowledge. The computer put the weapon together, not beaming tech.

Best Stargate quote:
      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
      Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by cozzerob
        If your transporter records the energy patterns of the object, and then converts the transmitted energy back into matter, then it would technically be possible to synthesis another item. For instance, in the episode 48 hours, the stargate had the energy pattern for teal'c stored, but it didn't have a dhd to create an event horizon -wormhole and the energy to reconvert into teal'c - it never made it back to earth. That's why they connected the dhd and a naquada generator (if i remember correctly, the big wires). And even if they didn't connect one, we know already that the dhd supplies power, co it could suipply power in this case -generator (but i thought i saw a generator there too...)

Anyway, the point is that if you have the energy pattern for the item, you shopuld just need to supply more power to turn into this object. Again. Imagine hooking up your portable power generator and pumping out a load of tollan ion cannons, etc.

The problem with this is that 1)you need to supply power to convert into mass, and e=mc^2 means you need alot of power for very little energy. 2)it makes getting tech too easy for the show. 3) the cizilisation you're copying the tech from must be happy for you to copy their tech. 4) you'll need to figure out how to power your snazzy new device, and 5) you don't understand how it works, just that it does the job - until it breaks down, at which point you have to make a new one...

The up side is that its really easy, just temporarily de-mat and re-mat the object in question (in the same position, so it dissapears for a sec then reappears again in the same place), don't erase the energy pattern and get a power source.
        I am not exactly sure how you are saying this should work. With Teal'c, they couldn't send anything else through as it would erase his data (I believe). Also, once Teal'c came out, there was no more info for him so they couldn't keep spitting out more of him. I guess if you found a way to keep said item in the memory buffer even after spitting one out but you probably wouldn't be able to keep more than one item at a time in memory or probably have enough memory to store an item.

Originally posted by Three PhDs
        False economy. It's like designing a machine that costs £1,000,000 and uses 2GW of power that you install in toilets to check your flies are done up after you go.
        That would be a great idea for an invention. Think of all the embrassing situations that could be avoided. For that alone it would be worth the time, money and resources.
        "Those who sow the wind might reap the whirlwind."

"Only God knows everything and he works for the Mossad."

Comment

I wasn't saying you use the stargate specifically to do it - the stargate has too many saftey precautions for that to work. I'm talking about the principle, which could then be applied using another transporter device... ie, an asgard transported, connected to a power generator which has been rigged to store the memory pattern, not erase it after each transport cycle as is the norm...
          "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Originally posted by CueBa'al
            Not what I had in mind. Example: An SG team finds an ancient weapon. They use the beaming tech to grab it, analyze it, and possibly even fabricate one of their own. For instance in Trinity, McKay could have beamed the cannon itself aboard the Daedalus's computers in order to obtain its technology. You see what I'm saying? In other words, if O'Neill can use Asgard beaming tech to fabricate the disruptor weapon, then obviously the technology's uses are varied and many.
            Remember that Thor said that O'Neill used the ship computer to fabricate the weapon so I don't think it was the asguard's beaming technology but rather a different energy platform all together used for synthesizing things.

Comment

didnt Thor say he was designing the device not building it

Comment

Working...
              X