Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the space where the wormhole will cross is called the Einstein-Rosen bridge or is that just another name for hyperspace?
    "Those who sow the wind might reap the whirlwind."

"Only God knows everything and he works for the Mossad."

Comment

Originally posted by vonbismarck
      I thought the space where the wormhole will cross is called the Einstein-Rosen bridge or is that just another name for hyperspace?
      The Einstein-Rosen-Podolski Bridge is the name for a Wormhole, hyperspace is the concept of a higher dimension of space (which the wormhole would presumably travel)
      "You get Two Hippies playing Drums on a lawn, the next thing you got is a College!" - Eric Cartman

"Nice!" - Jack
      "Well the Ancients like to fly in style..." - Daniel

Comment

Yes, that is correct. Hyperspace, is basically theorized to be something inside our universe.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg
          The Einstein-Rosen-Podolski Bridge is the name for a Wormhole, hyperspace is the concept of a higher dimension of space (which the wormhole would presumably travel)

yes thats were you get to have fun stuff like a hypercube

oh andowen not in our universe but co-existing in hmmm whats that place called agian oh yea subspace and this 10 (or however many you think it is) dimesional universe would exist but it exists much like our universe did before the big bang, but this of course all theory
          My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

Lol, I was going to say, that would make a good name for a movie, but there already is one, Cube 2: Hypercube.

well, yes, when you enter hyperspace, either real or Stargate, it does get quite interesting.

Owen Macri

Comment

^ Pity that Cube 2: Hypercube, whilst interesting, was rather lame in plot... Hypercubes are an intriguing idea, something that can be infinitely proportionate in size but equally non-existant in real space-time.

The only problem is the terminology of Hyperspace is that Hyperspace takes place outside of our dimension in a higher one, wheresas Subspace is a lower level of space that bisects our own. It gets worse when you talk about Hypersurfaces which are the regions of which Subspace operates on, which probably should technically be called a Subsurface... doesn't it just give you a headache?
              "You get Two Hippies playing Drums on a lawn, the next thing you got is a College!" - Eric Cartman

"Nice!" - Jack

Comment

I have not seen Cube 2, lol.

I find it all quite interesting, just thinking about subspace, and hyperspace is very interesting and when you go deeper into them...

Owen Macri

Comment

^Don't see it, if your a fan of Cube you'll reget it (and don't even begin to think about Cube 3) lol

It is very interesting and I think I've worked out the answer to the great Subspace vs Hyperspace debate: Subspace (which is used for Warp Drive in Star Trek) is far inferior to Hyperspace (ala Stargate).

(Yeah I was sad and worked this out from what Walter said in "Prometheus Unbound")

It would take the USS Voyager 70 years to travel 70,000 light years, but the Prometheus can go 50 light years in 20 minutes, meaning that in a day it can go 3600 Light Years. That means that the Promethus could make the trip in about 19 3/4 days...

And we've not began to talk about that the Daedalus managed in 20 days to get between Pegasus and the Earth suggesting even faster speeds...

*backs away from the keyboard* lol

"Nice!" - Jack

Comment

Lol, yes, but you forgot one thing. Warp Drive does not involve travel through subspace. Warp Drive has been researched in real life, by a scientist named Migeul Alcubierre, and he came up with the Alcubierre Drive. Basically it compresses space in front of the ship and expands it behind the ship. Here is a good link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Owen Macri

Comment

Good point, Alcubierre doesn't really mention subspace but hypersurfaces instead, which you could take as the same thing as its a lower spacial dimension.

You might wanna check out this link, Chris Van De Broeck came up with more reasonable energy requirements for the drive from Alcubierre's equations.

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9905084

"Nice!" - Jack

Comment

Thank you very much for the link I will check it out in more detail later. It looks very interesting.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                          Yes, the space which the wormhole will cross is called hyperspace. This is the real world hyperspace, in Stargate it is diffrent.
                          Are you saying the space that surrounds the bridge/throat of the wormhole is where hyperspace is to be found?

Comment

I believe that once you enter the gate through the wormhole you'd be in hyperspace but not before, as the connection between the "throat/bridge" of the wormhole would be the Event Horizon.

"Nice!" - Jack

Comment

I didn't think you would be in hyperspace before crossing the event horizon, that much I actually did know (even if it is all that I know). It is just that with everything that I have read, hyperspace doesn't really play a part in the lit., so I wanted to make sure where it was as Marci said it was the space the wormhole would cross which would be the space the bridge covers.

Comment

Originally posted by vonbismarck
                                Are you saying the space that surrounds the bridge/throat of the wormhole is where hyperspace is to be found?
                                Yep.

And I made that image all by myself, and it took a long time so appreciate it! lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                                X