This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And yet, still no answer....
    Gee, that was a glass of cold water to the face, I was under the misguided impression that I had answered your question about how how I got the text in my signature. No matter.

I think the confusion must have arisen from your use of terminology. "Signature" refers to the bit of text beaneath my post. I naturally assumed you were talking about my signature (from the use of the term "signature") and hence I spoke about my signature. Imagine that.

Could you be referring, perchance, to the section break character that plays the part of the "S" in my handle?

I can't tell whether that was a challenge
    I can honestly say "No", you asked about "the funny text" in my signature and I, thinking that anyone who has obviously edited their own signature must know what it is (unless someone else clicked the link for you) answered you and detailed its source and the "compilation" reference.

Another glib nonanswer...
    ..to another ambiguous non-issue.

That would inform my decision whether to buy the book or not, and whether to bother reading it.
    No, don't buy it, your friendly local library will stock a copy. Certainly read it, too, it's quite short and quick to get through.

So please, Lord Sokar, more content and less self stroking. It's unseemly.
    Do forgive me for presuming that you know how to use forum terminology properly.

How good a show does with the science also makes the "suspension of disbelief" easier.
    Which is why it's so damn difficult with stargate.

The book goes about explaining real world concepts relating to technologies in Trek, and that's the extent of it. It doesn't tell you, say, why there's a flash of light when a ship moves to warp. Sure, stargate has wormholes, too, but if you'll read the first post you'll notice it suggests that book info (ie real world things 'n stuff) can be applied to stargate. Given that stargate wormholes are completely removed from actual theory I don't feel that we can reasonably apply it.

EDIT: § = Alt+2+1
    Last edited by Lord §okar; 18 August 2005, 09:57 AM.
    Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Originally posted by Lord §okar
      Originally posted by Darth Buddha
      And yet, still no answer....
      Gee, that was a glass of cold water to the face, I was under the misguided impression that I had answered your question about how how I got the text in my signature. No matter.

I think the confusion must have arisen from your use of terminology. "Signature" refers to the bit of text beaneath my post. I naturally assumed you were talking about my signature (from the use of the term "signature") and hence I spoke about my signature. Imagine that.

Could you be referring, perchance, to the section break character that plays the part of the "S" in my handle?
      You guessed it. As for the cold water, I was just trying to get you off the manual override for a few posts. I still don't get what the scalps that dangle from your belt was intended for, but it didn't sound good!

If you were actually attempting to convey information, my apologies. We might have such a difference of writing styles that we end up talking past each other, rather than too each other.

Originally posted by Lord Sokar
      That would inform my decision whether to buy the book or not, and whether to bother reading it.
      No, don't buy it, your friendly local library will stock a copy. Certainly read it, too, it's quite short and quick to get through.
      Not so sure it'll be in any library nearby (currently in a Red County of a Blue State), but thanks for the answer. Hope it was worth wading through the detritus.

So please, Lord Sokar, more content and less self stroking. It's unseemly.
      Do forgive me for presuming that you know how to use forum terminology properly.
      A misunderstanding that could have been reached far more quickly but for what I presumed to be bluster... yep, I suppose the better word would be "handle" or "screen name". Thanks for the edification; more accurate terminology is always a good thing.

How good a show does with the science also makes the "suspension of disbelief" easier.
      Which is why it's so damn difficult with stargate.
      A point we agree on wholeheartedly. We do talk the same language at times, it would seem.

The book goes about explaining real world concepts relating to technologies in Trek, and that's the extent of it. It doesn't tell you, say, why there's a flash of light when a ship moves to warp. Sure, stargate has wormholes, too, but if you'll read the first post you'll notice it suggests that book info (ie real world things 'n stuff) can be applied to stargate. Given that stargate wormholes are completely removed from actual theory I don't feel that we can reasonably apply it.
      Well, then, I guess it is worth a read for me, a general science fiction fan, but probably not for a Stargate only fan. Thanks for the extra info. ... you even addressed my question of applicability to the Stargate universe in the absence of canon.

All is good, more or less. Again, my apologies if I took the retelling of your scalping exploits the wrong way. I should have asked for clarification.

Regards,

Deebs

Comment

§ = Alt+2+1

Comment

Sokar is your webpage analysing starships gonna come online?

Too bad there's never any 25-page long discussions about Ha'tak weaponary on GW, I would've loved to participate in those

Comment

Again, my apologies if I took the retelling of your scalping exploits the wrong way.
            Hmm, that was mostly for jadens benefit since I think he still lurks here even if he doesn't post, I can understand if it came off as gratuitous self-aggrandizement.

Sokar is your webpage analysing starships gonna come online?
            It's come and gone, I'm afraid. My host has disappeared off the face of the planet and I can no longer afford to pay for another one anyway.

I still have it here, it's a bit incomplete, though.

Too bad there's never any 25-page long discussions about Ha'tak weaponary on GW, I would've loved to participate in those
            How serendipitous, I'm making one on Wraith weaponry tomorrow.
            Last edited by Lord §okar; 21 August 2005, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Also there's the good site stardestroyer.net, which though centered on Star-Wars vs Star Trek, includes some useful things about the difference between "real" science (done by real scientists and engineers) and many concepts often found in sci-fi (read : hip technobabble that people eventually believe real or possible, just because they saw it in every show).

Comment

I am reading this very same book,it really touches on the same concepts and theories as Stargate does.! I really enjoy it actually!

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                  This is a book about the physics of Star Trek which focuses mainly on TOS and TNG as it was written in 1995

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...12609?v=glance

Many of the concepts such as Wormholes, time travel etc can also be applied to the Stargate Universe.

well yea these shows didnt event this stuff people like einstein, hawking, and kaku are the ones who thought of this **** not a bunch of writers
                  My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

I brought the book about 10 years ago (can't believe its been that long!), and I just never found any time to read it. As of this moment, I don't have any more time than I did before with the fact that I have 3 kids. So what I'm trying to say is that maybe one day I'll sit down to read it. Until then....
                    Just sitting here at the computer..typing my life away!

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                      This is a book about the physics of Star Trek which focuses mainly on TOS and TNG as it was written in 1995

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...12609?v=glance

Many of the concepts such as Wormholes, time travel etc can also be applied to the Stargate Universe.
                      Well thank you for the suggestion it looks interesting.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                        Well thank you for the suggestion it looks interesting.

Owen Macri
                        If you have an open mind are willing to believe that the science showed in sci-fi can be justified by real science in some cases and at other times real science does not allow some concepts shown in scifi then it is very interesting

The only thing is written in 1995 its a bit out of date
                        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                        love Torri

Comment

Well, one of my favorite quotes is by Albert Einstein, he said:

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

Owen Macri

Comment

My favorite is "Star Trek Science Logs". Really nifty stuff and the author puts tech-speak into everyday language so even I can understand it.

Comment

That sounds interesting too.

Owen Macri

Comment

I own this book. ...and others like it.

The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                                My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                                Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Working...
                                X