Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think the daedalus is better and IF we get a new ship i think it will be of a better design and should have primitive asgard energy weaons

Comment

Yes, I do not believe we would just rebuild the same ship, especially at this point on the technological scale. Perhaps, when we reached a level of technology where we had no really large developments in the future, we might build a fleet. But with all of the technology out there, by the time we built a fleet the technology would be outdated.

Owen Macri

Comment

Why other countries don't build space cruisers ? For the same reason they don't build (large, US Navy size) aircraft carriers : because its frigging expensive !

BTW, at the time of the Iliad and Odyssey, Turkey did not exist. The area was generally refered to as Asia Minor or Anatolia. There weren't even Turks there until the central asian nomads called Turks invaded and conquered what is now Turkey but was at the time part of the Roman Empire of Constantinople. The inhabitants were greek and celtic people.

Comment

Originally posted by iBorg
          Why other countries don't build space cruisers ? For the same reason they don't build (large, US Navy size) aircraft carriers : because its frigging expensive !

or it could be the fact that no other countries hve access to naquadah (sp) and other material only available offworld
          this namibg of the cuisers reminds me of the matrix movies, all there ships were named after mythology

Comment

I am sure russia which is the only country to have people constantly in space can afford spaceships even if it is only f-302s.
            Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
            Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
            - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
            - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
              Yes, I do not believe we would just rebuild the same ship, especially at this point on the technological scale. Perhaps, when we reached a level of technology where we had no really large developments in the future, we might build a fleet. But with all of the technology out there, by the time we built a fleet the technology would be outdated.

Owen Macri
              Yes although the US is building a fleet of BC-303 i think that its just a generic term for the ships as with all the new tech that is being found researched invented and backwards enginered no two ships of this class will be exactly the same as each one will have some improments built in to the design and others added on. As for the mitholigy it is cool but i hope they don't just use Greek mitholigy as names for the ships.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
              O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

check out my naming theory in GD 'figured ship naming out......'
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by iBorg

BTW, at the time of the Iliad and Odyssey, Turkey did not exist. The area was generally refered to as Asia Minor or Anatolia. There weren't even Turks there until the central asian nomads called Turks invaded and conquered what is now Turkey but was at the time part of the Roman Empire of Constantinople. The inhabitants were greek and celtic people.
                  You are right, in fact I didn't even think of cost before.

Owen Macri

Comment

As quickly as we have advanced, I rather we didn't build many Daedalus class ships right now. We should work on a ship that's easy to produce and has tremendous firepower. A la Star Trek's Defiant. Small, powerful ships that are (relatively) easy to reproduce with a minimal personnel risk. Besides, the fewer humans we risk to capture by the Wraith, the better off we are.

Comment

I think we need very powerful, large ships. lol. While they will take longer to build, in the end they will have the advantage, with more space, there is potentially more room for technologies.

Owen Macri

Comment

And more room for error.

I'm advocating divergence. Spreading out the wealth and minimizing the risk of loss.

The larger, more poweful ships take time to build, so perhaps we should diversify while simultaneously working on consolidating our strengths. Imagine if we put all our efforts into one or two major ships and it (they) was (were) destroyed? Remember how we destroyed that massive ship Apophis was building? (Upgrades, Ep 403)

Too much emphasis one one endeavor could spell our doom.

I say diversify.
                        Last edited by Quartz; 16 August 2005, 12:00 AM.

Comment

the cruisers when built are in a very secure location deep underground, the general public dont know of their existenceso it would be hard pressed to see earths enemies find them

Comment

Our enemies would be most interested in our homeword. After all, we are the Tau'ri. If we were to have a shipyard, it would not be on Earth. And the alpha site is only a failsafe, a mere backup location. Think about it: would you risk exposure (or worse) by localizing your efforts? The best strategy is to diversify. No single target, no single emphasis. That way if we were compromised, we'd at least have a chance of surviving.

Ther's probably a gamma site out there...

Comment

next things we need are a bomber ship alqesh style

and an extraction ship tel'tak whith asgard beams

i say each country should get one bc 303 whithout fighters so they can go get there own stuff for there own ships
                              Alt+F4 is a Magical key!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderic
                                I don't remember Zipacna but she is Mayan
                                Zippy is a he...

I think it is cool that Earth is getting a third ship to add to the bunch. I know what folks are talking about with the tragedy thing (the greeks were a bit of a tragedy ), but I think the names were chosen for the more positive aspects of the characters.

Prometheus gave man fire, thus giving man unprecedented control of his environment. The ship 'Prometheus' gave man his first interstellar capable craft to allow us to explore the stars without the limitations of the stargate.

Daedalus was a great inventor that gave man flight. The ship 'Daedalus' gave man intergalactic flight, allowing us other means to get to the Pegasus galaxy besides the stargate.

Odyssey (Or perhaps Odysseus?? I prefer that...) was a great hero, with great cunning and wit. Perhaps the 'Odysseus?' will allow Earth to operate with broader reach and greater flexibility.

In any case, the more ships the better. Earth will need them... I just hope they get better offensive weapons soon. Those missiles suck. Maybe they could equip the missiles with shields so they can actually reach their targets. That would be cool... yeah they can get shot at, but they keep on coming.
                                The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                                My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                                Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Working...
                                X