Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I can't see the picture, could you post a link?

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
      Sorry, I can't see the picture, could you post a link?

Owen Macri
      I think the picture is on his computer ROFL

Comment

WoW! so are some of them being used in the military today or are they just tied up in a lab somewhere?
        Do you know what those plastic Asgard-ish things were or are you thinking?
        Or you have NO idea what I'm talking about. That's always a possibility

They're not in use but the physical principles behind their operation are incredibly simple (I studied them in the first year of high school physics). You have a pair of conductive metal rails between which sits a conductive projectile. The Lorentz force felt is responsible for accelerating the projectile out of the barrel. The electricity supplied need be of extremely high current.

a rail gun simply takes a magnetic projectile, and uses alternating charges along the barrel to launch and spin it.
        That's incorrect. THe projectile does not spin and it specifically must contact the barrel. You're referring to a coil gun, see above.

no they dont...the slug just moves so fast it generates a purple color...
        Explain to me why fast motion would create a purple colour.

FYI: if you can see them moving they're going no where near fast enough to glow.
        Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

here's a thought; they should put rail guns on 302's and let em tear up darts and w/e else anyone has t throw against us. this is one of the best ways to maximize the 302's potency, along with shield generators... that would be one mean fighter
          Those who know the truth must rise up boldly and be a light into the darkness, if the truth bearers stay quiet, then the lost are already gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sokar
            Explain to me why fast motion would create a purple colour.
            It doesn't necesarily have to be purple, I thought it looked blue, but whatever. Anyways, the immense speeds of the projectiles within an oxygen rich atmosphere would convert the surrounding gas to plasma.

Owen Macri
            Last edited by _Owen_; 21 July 2005, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
              FYI: The round goes in the clip. The clip goes in the magazine. The magazine feeds the weapon.

That is a clip of railgun ammo from The Seige II. Not the best picture, but it's the best I could conjure.
              Thanks Jarnin for the clip,-doesn't look so Asgardish now does it , anyway on some shots I think it looks more advanced, when I described it as plastic I meant those things inside the case (I suppose they're rounds), sorry 4 the confusion, thanks for the answers.
              I won't bother to go back and quote but it was said that these rail guns would work real good on the x-302, I don't know, but they seem pretty big for the fighter ship. Is it possible? Is it feasible? Would TPTB ever put it into writing (IMO as of yet most likely not)?*edit* is there another thread on putting rail guns on our fighter ships or are those about Prometheus?*edit*
              Last edited by !Dorentus!; 20 July 2005, 10:28 PM.
              Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
              1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
              2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
              3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

Comment

Oh, is that the things you thought looked Asgardish? Yes, that is what I thought it was. Anyways, problem solved.

You might be able to put a rail gun on an X-302, but you are right it would not be practical for the size of the ship. Unless you just used one on top, or managed to decrease the size.

Owen Macri

Comment

yeah i knew he was talking about that

Comment

So did I but he wasn't sure. That's allright, problem solved now.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                      Oh, is that the things you thought looked Asgardish? Yes, that is what I thought it was. Anyways, problem solved.

You might be able to put a rail gun on an X-302, but you are right it would not be practical for the size of the ship. Unless you just used one on top, or managed to decrease the size.

Owen Macri
                      but is not most of the bulk off the rail gun weapon taken up by the power source and seat and the F-302 should be able to run them of the excess power from hiperspace drive or if this has been removed put a power source where it was situated to do the job and it has no need for the seat so it might be acheivable using the current one.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
                      O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

Originally posted by valha'lla
                        but is not most of the bulk off the rail gun weapon taken up by the power source and seat and the F-302 should be able to run them of the excess power from hiperspace drive or if this has been removed put a power source where it was situated to do the job and it has no need for the seat so it might be acheivable using the current one.
                        ya, that's it, just put 2 under or in the wings. the 302 isn't a small bird. there shouldn't be any size issue
                        Those who know the truth must rise up boldly and be a light into the darkness, if the truth bearers stay quiet, then the lost are already gone.

Comment

Yes you are right, the Rail Guns, the actual rail part could be removed, it would greatly decrease the required space. Assuming that each X-302 has a naquadah or naqadria generator to power the hyperspace window generator, then the rail guns could be hooked into that. Sorry, my mistake.

Owen Macri

Comment

yeah i think that would be sweet because they could still hold missles and save em for the capital ships and own the smaller craft with the rail guns. they could hold a lot more ammo too. this addition to the 302 would make it a lot better and more efficient imo

-the col.

Comment

I agree, it would probably help significantly, and while they are add it, make antimatter projectiles with phase shifting capabilites, the 302, while they are at that, they could give the ship itself phase shifting capabilities. With these additions, plus my redundant shielding and flawless inertial dampeners. I believe that 1 X-302 could take on the entire fleet of Wraith hive ships, Darts, and Cruisers. I am not over estimating.

Owen Macri

Comment

While you're at it, why not use the blackhole blowing up sun trick to take out a Wraith fleet. Kind of how
                                Spoiler:

The Daedalus intercepted the wraith fleet coming out of hyperspace. Assuming they were near a sun and depending on the range for the remote activation of the gate, they could possibly have dropped a gate towards the sun and dialed the black hole planet. Even though it's in a different galaxy, I think I can safely guarantee that a star would be able to provide MORE than enough energy to dial out. The wraith ships appear and seconds later the sun explodes, boom! No more wraith fleet. Nobody really knows what happened, the assumption is just bad timing. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X