This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Owen Macri
    throught the series, the shutdown times have changed, for example, in one episode, while a Jaffa is running through the gate, he makes it through the event horizon, but the end of his staff doesn't and the gate shuts down and it gets chopped off, however it is commonly known that when matter is in the event horizon the gate will not shut down.

Owen Macri
    Ah ha - but there is a difference here - thestargate is designed not to shut down with matter only half through - but like near to all the stargate's safety features it is controled primarily by the DHD/dialling device, therefore, the device can override it - just like major Carter overrides the safety features many times (Red Sky, etc...).

my point is that althought there isn't anyone explicitly shows deactivating the stargate, its very possible - not a scripting error.
    "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Actually, in one episode they show them deactivating the Stargate, Red Sky I think, to trap the material in the Sun of that system. I always wondered why, shortly after, in Hathor, when they let her leave they didn't shut the gate down after she stepped through.

Comment

Yep - that happens too - but the stargate didn't wan't to engage the wormhole for safety reasons - Major carter overrode it to get a lock - the SGC dialler allows the team to override the safety measures of the stargate if they see fit...

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Comment

Originally posted by cozzerob
          Ah ha - but there is a difference here - thestargate is designed not to shut down with matter only half through - but like near to all the stargate's safety features it is controled primarily by the DHD/dialling device, therefore, the device can override it - just like major Carter overrides the safety features many times (Red Sky, etc...).

my point is that althought there isn't anyone explicitly shows deactivating the stargate, its very possible - not a scripting error.
          The Stargate will only not deactivate, if there is matter patially through the event horizon, if the thirty eight minute threshold is not passed.

As well, in this episode, I believe there was no one, or no one who would have been able to alter the functions of the gate in that way, in the control room, I will check if I can remember the episode.

Owen Macri

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by QuiGonJohn
            Speaking of this, a related issue. When the IDC signal comes thru, it seems the time before they open the iris varies somewhat. Sometimes it's almost immediate, other times a delay, like chevron guy looking at Hammond, and Hammond not sure. I thought they should have a way to send a signal back to the IDC Remote to indicate the iris is open, so the team can step thru and know they'll be safe. It could just be that it lights a green light on the remote, so if the remote fell into unfriendly hands, they wouldn't be sure what that meant. As it is, it kinda seems they just send the signal, wait a couple seconds and then go, and hope for the best.
            It seems as though they can send a singnal back to the GDO, in "Gemini" we learned that the GDO has an instant messagin feature, so it is quite possible that the computer automatically sends a singal back to the GDO, when the Iris opens.

Owne Macri

Comment

Originally posted by QuiGonJohn
              As it is, it kinda seems they just send the signal, wait a couple seconds and then go, and hope for the best.
              This kinda reminds me of Dr. McCoy in Wrath of Khan.

McCoy: "Suppose they went nowhere"

Kirk: "Then this'll be your big chance to get away from it all"

Comment

Lol, you're right, it kind of does.

Owen Macri

Comment

I wonder if anyone ever had a bit of their but taken off when going through a wormhole.

Comment

I doubt it, but Daniel almost did, in "Crystal Skull." When he was unseen by the others he came through and the gate shut of very close to the time he exited, he actually yelled at the people in the control room, even if they could not hear or see them.

Owen Macri

Comment

yeh - that's true but therre's a slight problem with that - the gate can only be deactivated from the other side - the outgoing side. so the ppl in the control room had nothing to do with it. In fact there's a slight plot hole there because if he can still use the stargate in his weird out-of-phase state then the stargate should have detected him and not shut down before he was safely out.

Comment

You are 100% correct. Absolutly. However it was still the third season and they did have some "bugs" to work out, such as the Stargate deactivation procedures, so I think we can forget this infraction in the laws of Stargate.

Owen Macri

Comment

Yeh - we wouldn't want to sacrifice viewing pleasure for being annoying, petty and scientific nitpickers, would we? Well - not that much... nitpicking is fun, or more accurately, it rids you of the frustration of seeing an obvious and disgusting plot hole that makes you cringe... or is that just me?

Comment

You are right, I hate plot holes, I would rather forget about something, than analyze it down to a neutron, if I know it cannot be solved and is simply a plot hole, it makes the show more exciting. Now, questions with answers, I will analyze those down to a gluon any day.

Seriously, there are a lot of questions that need answers, but don't seem to have them, I would really like to find the answers, but I realy don't let it ruin the episodes, I just let myself forget about it.

Owen Macri

Comment

crtl-alt-delete?

Help!
                              My emojournal

Comment

Lol, seeing as the computers control the power to the stargate, shutting down the computers would probably disrupt the power to the gate, unless they have safegaurds, which they probably do. So it would be more like,

"deactivate safeguards-ctrl-alt-delete"

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                                X