This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrimalAscended
    Yeah there was.......a good ole British series.......from the early '80s, saw it again recently.......a little dated now I admit but still brilliant!!!
    Ever read 'Salmon of Doubt'?
    [email protected]
    http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
    One nation under dog
    There of which I stand alone
    A face in the crowd
    Unsung, against the mold
    Without a doubt
    Singled out
    The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
      I bet that something biological would be easier modified to pass under the body's immunological radar than something like a nanobot.

I think some work has actually been done at MIT with modifying ameboas into primitive 'robots'.
      I personally think that nanobots would be more effective and safer, if you have a problem with them, then *ZAP* with an EMP, problem gone, with something biological you would need something that would attack only the organism and no surrounding tissue.

Owen Macri

Comment

A microbe could be destroyed by the body's immune system if it rejected the new technology, but a nanobot would be resistant. Plus the nanobots could be controlled better by an outside source. So they would be safer.
        Elando na coinya!

Comment

There are many situations that a micro-organism, would be impervious to the bodys' immune system, it could be "programmed" or genetically altered to defend properly against the the bodys' immune system, so yes nanobots would be far safer.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
            There are many situations that a micro-organism, would be impervious to the bodys' immune system, it could be "programmed" or genetically altered to defend properly against the the bodys' immune system, so yes nanobots would be far safer.

Owen Macri
            Before any responsable (thats not too say somebody won't try it prematurely) scientist would inject somebody with a biological nanobot they'd have to be extremely familiar with its construction, in order to build it in the first place, or at least modify something existing to make it do whatever its supposed to do now. This means they'd have to be able to control everything about it, right down to the genetic level. This means they could render it impotent, thus removing any chance it could have had to breed and mutate. This pretty much nullifies any possibility of it running amok.

The downside to mechanical nanobots is that nobody likes to talk about certain aspects of their construction, such as how their sensors can possibly be made that small yet give useful information about their surroundings, how they could process that information, what they could use for a power source, or how can they know where they are.
            [email protected]

One nation under dog
            A face in the crowd
            Unsung, against the mold
            Without a doubt
            Singled out
            The only way I know

Comment

Yes, you could try to control every aspect of the nanobots, but there is always the possibility that something will go wrong, especially when in the uncharted space that is the human brain.

Owen Macri

Comment

Yes, you could try to control every aspect of the nanobots, but there is always the possibility that something will go wrong, especially when in the uncharted space that is the human brain.

Owen Macri
                After all, we only really use 10% of our entire brains, and the rest is basically our subconscious, which stores all of the information that our normal conscience (did I say that right?) can't recall. The nanobots could possibly mistake a past memory as a recent and attack/disable/etc. the person.

I AM SUPREME COMMANDER THOR

Comment

I highly doubt that that would happen, they would be specifically programed with very advanced programming, they would be able to tell the diffrence between the diffrent types of memory. As well they would not likley mistake them, because they would be able to read the "time stamp" that is encoded with each memory.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Thor
                    After all, we only really use 10% of our entire brains, and the rest is basically our subconscious, which stores all of the information that our normal conscience (did I say that right?) can't recall. The nanobots could possibly mistake a past memory as a recent and attack/disable/etc. the person.
                    Nope, we use all the brain all the time. The whole 'you only really use 10%, the rest are dormant psychic powers just waiting to be tapped by (insert movie plot device)' thing was a misunderstanding waaaaaay back when th brain was first being examined.'
                    [email protected]

One nation under dog
                    A face in the crowd
                    Unsung, against the mold
                    Without a doubt
                    Singled out
                    The only way I know

Comment

I highly doubt that that would happen, they would be specifically programed with very advanced programming, they would be able to tell the diffrence between the diffrent types of memory. As well they would not likley mistake them, because they would be able to read the "time stamp" that is encoded with each memory.

Owen Macri
                      But we aren't even CLOSE to figuring out the time stamp...we're still arguing about how memories are stored (beyond the basic theory of RNA encoding, ect.)...
                      [email protected]

One nation under dog
                      A face in the crowd
                      Unsung, against the mold
                      Without a doubt
                      Singled out
                      The only way I know

Comment

Yes, you are completley right, but that doesn't mean that we can't theorize about it before it happens. All we need is the information and the technology, we have the plan. The brain is a very complex organ, the most complex, maybe the Ancients can help us with it...

Owen Macri

Comment

That'd sure make things a LOT easier.

Personally I'm of the mind that (barring alien help of course) we ourselves cannot ever unwravel our own minds, any more than my dog can figure out her own. Its 0k though, because we have at our disposal a powerful machine that can solve this problem for us. It is called a computer. How to build a 'smart' computer if we don't even know what makes US smart, you ask? Simple. Let it build itself. Give it a massive knowledge base, the means to improve on its own design (through the aid of an expert design system) and a good smack on the behind to get it moving.

It could take a while, but I think its our best option in the long run.
                          [email protected]

One nation under dog
                          A face in the crowd
                          Unsung, against the mold
                          Without a doubt
                          Singled out
                          The only way I know

Comment

I think we should make a guy a robot.

lol, nevermind I would explain it but it would be so far off topic!

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
                              That'd sure make things a LOT easier.

Personally I'm of the mind that (barring alien help of course) we ourselves cannot ever unwravel our own minds, any more than my dog can figure out her own. Its 0k though, because we have at our disposal a powerful machine that can solve this problem for us. It is called a computer. How to build a 'smart' computer if we don't even know what makes US smart, you ask? Simple. Let it build itself. Give it a massive knowledge base, the means to improve on its own design (through the aid of an expert design system) and a good smack on the behind to get it moving.

It could take a while, but I think its our best option in the long run.
                              A smart computer would be a great help to us in a way, but how would it help us cure diseases and figure out our brains' functionings? We'd need something that would fit inside the brain, unless we could somehow wire ourselves to this computer. And if the computer builds itself, we could not predict what the final result would be, it would be whatever the computer decided. Interesting thought, though. We can build a "Deep Thought" while we're at it.
                              Elando na coinya!

Comment

There would be one problem in letting a computer build itself, if it used all of the knowledge that humans possesed it would most likley become so advanced that even we could not understand it.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                                X