This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Owen Macri
    If they used one of the 38 symbols as a point of origin it was a simple mistake by the producers, there is supposed to be a uniqe point of origin for every gate.

Owen Macri
    thats what i was thinking too

Comment

Yup. I think I found the Atlantis PoO once on a fan site. The Pegasus symbols look pretty wierd--just connected points.
      JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
      VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
      MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
      LANDRY
      : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
      Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
      Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
      Mmm... Green...

Comment

I noticed that, what I want them to do most in season two is explore the gate itself, it is definetly diffrent than the other gates, there must be some reason that they are diffrent.

Owen Macri

Comment

constellations or something maybe

Comment

Well, all of the symbols on all of the gates seem to be constellations. Atlantis only seems to confirm this.
            JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
            LANDRY
            Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
              Well, all of the symbols on all of the gates seem to be constellations.
              didn't they mention that the symbols were constellations at some point, im not sure though, it just seems that they did

Comment

It's never really been mentioned in the show. Check out http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=11800
                LANDRY
                Mmm... Green...

Comment

Okay then, how do you smart folk explain what Catherine said in TBFTGOG: (Daniel, AU Sam and AU Catherine are trying to figure out where the warning came from)

Danny: "Or at least a...Military base. They must have assigned a number to each symbol of the Stargate, it's a code! All we need to do is find out which symbol the Aliens represented as one and start counting from there!"

Sam: "Well the only unique symbol they would have is the point of origin, on 233!"

Cat: "But that symbol may not even be on our Stargate!"

Was this a plot hole, then? Because what Catherine said makes it sound like Earth might not be able to dial 233 if 233's PoO was not on Earth's gate. I always took that to mean that if you were dialing , say, 233 from Earth, that 233's Poo would figure into the addy, as, say the first symbol of the 7 symbol code, with Earth's PoO being the seventh symbol dialed (from Earth).

If I'm wrong, pleeeease set me straight, because I hate not understanding what seems to be so straightforward for everybody else.

'Cause if I'm right, then the gate system shouldn't work beyond 38 or 39 different gates.
                  Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                  "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                  One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                  resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                  confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                  A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                  The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

hmmm... that seems like an error to me. You don't need the /\ symbol to dial to earth, and you shouldn't need 233's PoO to dial to 233. But hey, its an alternate universe after all
                    LANDRY
                    Mmm... Green...

Comment

I know where you made a mistake, that conversation was about finding which number represents which symbol, and the reason that they mentioned the point of origin was because since that was the only unique symbol that was the only logical place to start counting, they simply wanted to find which symbols corespond with which numbers. The reason that they said that the symbol wasn't even on thier gate was because since it wasn't on thier gate they wouldn't know what it looked like or where to start counting, then of course Daniel pulls out his camera.

Owen Macri

Comment

They reuse the sam Po0 because of costs + they use the same gate on location which has the Earth Po0, a mistake which the produces mad and it probbly costs too much to change it

Comment

Ya, I agree, it is just a matter of cost. I didn't know that the gates used on location had the Earth point of origin, maybe in an episode you can catch that.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                            I know where you made a mistake, that conversation was about finding which number represents which symbol, and the reason that they mentioned the point of origin was because since that was the only unique symbol that was the only logical place to start counting, they simply wanted to find which symbols corespond with which numbers. The reason that they said that the symbol wasn't even on thier gate was because since it wasn't on thier gate they wouldn't know what it looked like or where to start counting, then of course Daniel pulls out his camera.

Owen Macri

Okay, but... if SG-1 wanted to dial 233 - or anywhere else, for that matter - from Earth, wouldn't the symbol unique to that gate have to be part of the addy for 233?

BTW, I'm really not trying to be confrontational; the dialing system has confused me from the Movie, onwards.
                            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

No, you see, the unique symbol, the point of origin, is unique to only one gate, it isn't on any others, the adress uses six points in space to identify a volume of space for the gate to search to send the wormhole to, the point of orign represents a single point, assumably in the center of the gate, so the gate knows exactly where it is, not within a volume of space, but exaclty where it is. The point of origin is not required to dial because you are not using that specific point, you are using six others which will form three lines which will intersect to identify an area of space, the gate would not use the specific point where the other gate resides to dial it, this is because that point is constantly changing, as the planet rotates, and as it orbits around its' mother star, or possibly stars, but the gate only needs to know where it is for a very limited amount of time, and incredibly small amount simply so it can activate a wormhole, from that point, which will be that stargate.

Owen Macri

Comment

Hi everyone,
                                Newbie here... Well, new to this forum anyway. I've been watching the show since the beginning and have seen the movie dozens of times, but one thing still confuses me.

The constellations. How is it that they are (supposed to be?) all the same on each gate in the system? (Except for the PoO.) Considering that the universe is such a huge place, how can all the constellations be the same on every gate. Shouldn't the distance alone dictate what symbols are on the gate? Not to mention the differences in each galaxy? It just seems to me that the further away you go, the constellations should start to change at some point. Wouldn't that make for several jumps from one gate to another in order to reach very distant places? Or are the places that they are going to just not that distant? I suppose that would seem logical. Maybe.

I would appreciate any comments on this.

Or does this need to go to another thread?

Thanks.

Edited:
                                Ah, sorry... I think I just found my answer on another thread.
                                Last edited by GateWarrior; 31 May 2005, 12:29 AM.

~ I have a LiveJournal !. ~

Comment

Working...
                                X