Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um, they've had an Alpha Site since at least the start of season 2.
    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
    VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
    MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
    LANDRY
    : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
    Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
    Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
    Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
      Um, they've had an Alpha Site since at least the start of season 2.
      but SOLITUDES is in season one

Comment

sorry, I was thinking of Small Victories. As for any other address, who's to say that Carter had any memorised? Daniel had a hard time keeping track of the first few addresses.
        JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
        LANDRY
        Mmm... Green...

Comment

As for any other address, who's to say that Carter had any memorised? Daniel had a hard time keeping track of the first few addresses.
          well good point i never thought of that

Comment

Also, wasn't the DHD running out of juice? Maybe that had an effect.
            (Trying to resist poiniting out that first line in your sig )
            LANDRY
            Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
              This isn't a big deal as Jack and Sam were trying to dial out using a DHD. On a DHD, the red button in the middle serves as the seventh symbol. The only reason they needed to find the seventh symbol in the movie was because the Abydonians didn't find their DHD for a while post-movie!
              Umm no its not. In Solidute Sam points at a specific symbol on the DHD and says this is the point of origin. Also in 'gate keeper' we can see a unquie PoO. It's like the symbol on the program exit.
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

hmmm... When people dial out with a DHD, we only see six symbols dialed, like in Rising. It's eigther an error, or an interesting feature of DHD's.
                LANDRY
                Mmm... Green...

Comment

hmmm... When people dial out with a DHD, we only see six symbols dialed, like in Rising. It's eigther an error, or an interesting feature of DHD's.
                  The DHDs are telepathic. ::nods sagely::
                  sigpic

Comment

No, even if you don't know where you are you can dial out. Each gate has a unique point of origin symbol, and I stress, symbol. Two symbols may represent the same location for example two gates on the same planet, but the symbol would still be diffrent. So even if you didn't know where you were but you did know what all of the symbols on the DHD look like, you could dial out, simply by finding the one symbol that is not on any other gate, as Carter did in "Solitudes."

Owen Macri

Comment

I still feel that that is an oversight in design. The stargate should 'know' where it is in the galaxy relative to the other points in galaxy. Granted, the Ancients could have placed it as a security device to ensure use of stargate was limited to those who should be using the gate technology.
                      The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

Originally posted by BackStageJim
                        The stargate should 'know' where it is in the galaxy relative to the other points in galaxy.
                        My thoughts exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                          No, even if you don't know where you are you can dial out. Each gate has a unique point of origin symbol, and I stress, symbol. Two symbols may represent the same location for example two gates on the same planet, but the symbol would still be diffrent. So even if you didn't know where you were but you did know what all of the symbols on the DHD look like, you could dial out, simply by finding the one symbol that is not on any other gate, as Carter did in "Solitudes."

Owen Macri
                          Okay, this gate symbols thing always confuses me. Does this mean that there are 38 symbols that are the same on every gate in the galaxy(or the local stargate dialing system) and that the 39th symbol is unique to each gate?
                          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

That is exactly right, I however am not sure if it is applicable to all galactic groups there is some talk that there are only 36 symbols on the Pegasus Stargates.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                              Okay, this gate symbols thing always confuses me. Does this mean that there are 38 symbols that are the same on every gate in the galaxy(or the local stargate dialing system) and that the 39th symbol is unique to each gate?
                              Bingo. Other galaxies may have a different number of symbols, but each gate has a unique PoO. Here's RDA's site. Nice view of the Abydos DHD. The PoO is at 10 O'clock on it.
                              LANDRY
                              Mmm... Green...

Comment

Yes this has been stated in the show and on websites, that is one of the more certain points the stargate network.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                                X