Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, how odd. The impression that i had regarding dialling mechanics appears to be different to the one most experts believe. This might be about to become embarassing for me, though that's never stopped me before

Based on Daniel's comments in The Serpent's Lair , where he said that he used 'Earth' as a point of origin, i got the impression that Gates were interchangeable, the 7 symbols are entirely related to location, not gate. In this case, Daniel uses Apophis' gate (in Earth's orbit) to dial the six Alpha Site symbols and then the Earth 'A' as PoO symbol.

In Solitudes , Carter doesn't know where in the galaxy they are but she identifies what she believes is the PoO on the basis that one symbol is unfamiliar to her and it never crosses her mind that they might be on Earth. It is noteworthy that she is unsuccessful in dialling home. This is definitely not due to the 'no 2 wormholes from same planet' rule cause one of the times she dialled, the 'alpha' gate was clearly not in use. It could be because the PoO was incorrect or that the gate thought she was dialling itself (or as i see it, a combination of the two). The evidence, i believe, could support either perspective.

The cover stone that was on top of the buried Stargate (which provided the basis for the 'A' symbol) was located in Ancient Egypt. This implies that when the gate was used in Egypt that they used the 'A' as PoO. There has been stellar drift since that time, yet the 'A' remains valid. This lends credibility to the symbol been tied to the gate, not the spot in the galaxy.
    Until an episode called Avenger 2.0 came along.

It revealed that the DHDs periodically send data to one another, specifically to counter the effects of stellar drift. Daniel, however, used the Abydos DHD to dial old addresses with no success. So the DHD chatter isn't aimed at 'translating' old addresses into new addresses, probably to allow a new gate to be placed in the old spot in between system updates. So what does the update do ? Either it lets individual DHDs know there is no longer a gate at that spot or it updates the PoO to a new location or both (i suspect, given the effects of Baal's altered update, it does both).

If the DHD chatter translates the old actual position described by the PoO to the new position described by the PoO, then the Earth DHD could well have participated in the update whilst under the sands of Egypt or even conceivably done it whilst the gate and DHD were in the US and Russia respectively.

My theory is that the whole PoO system is in fact a back-up. Gates are interchangeable and can be put anywhere. It is the DHD that acts as the anchor in the system, keeping track of where the gate is, what exact location the PoO translates to, maybe even containing data on where every gate in the system is. Thus, when using a DHD, you don't have to (but you can if you like) punch in the PoO because the DHD already knows it. But when there is no DHD available, a gate is just a gate. It has to be told by whoever is manually dialling (which is what the SGC dialling computer does) where the gate is (i.e. the PoO). To help the manual dial out be as user friendly as possible, the Ancients tried to make PoO symbols fairly unique where possible.

Supporting the idea of interchangeable gates, in New Ground , a gate on another planet been excavated has the 'A' symbol. This implies that if that gate was brought to Earth, you could use that symbol as the PoO.

Comment

The symbols themselves don't change however the location that the symbol represents will, when Daniel dialed out from Klorels ship he used whichever point of origin symbol was on that gate, but it was within the orbit of the planet, so the symbol represented thier position in orbit around Earth, if this wasn't what you were saying please correct me.

Owne Macri

Comment

Actually, i'm no longer really sure what i'm saying

Yeah, that sounds right, where the exact location the symbol reflects changes.

My main contention (i think) was that PoOs aren't all unique to individual gates (which retcons the appearance of the 'A' symbol on the New Ground gate). After scanning my post, i realised there was only one actually interesting paragraph, which i shall repost now for convenience sake.

My theory is that the whole PoO system is in fact a back-up. Gates are interchangeable and can be put anywhere. It is the DHD that acts as the anchor in the system, keeping track of where the gate is, what exact location the PoO translates to, maybe even containing data on where every gate in the system is. Thus, when using a DHD, you don't have to (but you can if you like) punch in the PoO because the DHD already knows it. But when there is no DHD available, a gate is just a gate. It has to be told by whoever is manually dialling (which is what the SGC dialling computer does) where the gate is (i.e. the PoO). To help the manual dial out be as user friendly as possible, the Ancients tried to make PoO symbols fairly unique where possible.

Comment

You are right that the location of the symbol will change while the symbol does not. As for your other theory, it is a good one. Allthough I am not sure that it is true, basically the point of origin is there because the Ancients wanted it there, and until they tell us in the show, we will not know. So your theory is as good as mine.

Owen Macri

Comment

I would just like to point out that the reason the "New Ground" gate had the same simple is propably because they didn't want to waste money on making a new gate and they might have left it in as a joke.

Comment

I am sorry, what is the "New Ground Gate," I think I missed something... sorry!

Owen Macri

Comment

In "New Ground" people unearth a Stargate that has the same "A" symbol as our gate.

Comment

Oh, thank you, I had a feeling it was an episode, now that I know which, episode it was, I remember, I haven't seen that one in a while.

About the gates, I belive that in SG-1 they only have two gates, the one in the SGC, that is permanent, and then another smaller one that they use on location. The "A" was probably a mistake. But they could have done it on purpose as a joke.

Owen Macri

Comment

Probably a budget thing.
                    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                    VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                    MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                    LANDRY
                    : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                    Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                    Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                    Mmm... Green...

Comment

It is possible, however it doesn't seem likley, the "A" symbol shouldn't even be on the "location gate" unless the prop guys don't know the show very well, which I doubt.

Owen Macri

Comment

Hence the need for fanatical fans to come up with an explanation in-universe

Perhaps the Ancients try to make PoOs unique, but the limitations of having only 37 usable symbols means that a couple also get used as regular destination symbols and Earth drew the short straw, been such an old location.

If we take what we see onscreen as fact, then we have actually seen two gates besides the alpha with the 'A' symbol : both New Ground 's and the 'beta' gate (Apophis' might not necessarily have one as long as it was on the DHD).

Comment

The beta gate had a diffrent point of origin. There are not only 37 useable symbols there are an infinite number, because you can make them look like whatever you want. The gate has 38 symbols and a 39th for point of origin. However the 39th will change for every gate, and with an infinite number of possible symbols there is only one possible reason why we would see the "A" on the "New Ground Gate." The Ancients, and or Asgard, Fulings, and Nox, moved our gate from Earth to the planet in "New Ground" and back again that it could be in two places for the necesary amount of time needed to dial the gate, so bassicaly, the gate was moving so fast between Earth and New Ground Planet that it could dial that area and connect with itself. The times that we saw it only on the New Ground planet, they just moved the gate there and implanted memories into everyone in the SGCs' brain of everything runing as usual, so no one suspected a thing.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                            Oh, thank you, I had a feeling it was an episode, now that I know which, episode it was, I remember, I haven't seen that one in a while.

About the gates, I belive that in SG-1 they only have two gates, the one in the SGC, that is permanent, and then another smaller one that they use on location. The "A" was probably a mistake. But they could have done it on purpose as a joke.

Owen Macri
                            I read somewhere that botht the gates they used on SG-1 were the same size.

Comment

I don't remember I just slightly remember hearing that the location gate was smaller, but I could be wrong.

Owen Macri

Comment

Whoops, i meant 38 useable symbols (however many there are besides the PoO).

And yes, there must be an 'A' symbol on the Antartic gate because we see that gate in use at the SGC throughout Seasons 4 and 5. I'm pretty sure that we've seen them lock in Chevron 7 at the 'A' during Seasons 4 and 5.

If you see a symbol that you haven't seen before, than it's more likely that the symbol in question is the PoO for that location. SG-1 lucked out in Prisoners where that happened to be the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X