Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And still yet there are undiscovered aspects of science of which we have not scratched the surface, that we don't know even exist.

Owen Macri

Comment

You know what's really amazing? Owen Macri's signature has added 773 kilobytes to this thread. If he replies a couple more times (more than likely ) he'll have added more than a megabyte of signature to the thread.

Have a heart; disable your sig after posting the first time. The dial up users will be thankful
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Lol, have I posted that many times! My signature is only 48.32 kilobytes. I appoligize to anyone who this has inconveinienced. Do you mean that it has added 773 kilobytes to the thread or to the forum?

I am sorry, I don't know how to disable it after posting for the first time.

Since we are on the subject of signatures, I thought that I would mention blingaway. blingaway was the one who made my signature possible, I thought some recognition was deserved.

Owen Macri

Comment

Do not be worried. Since it is the same picture in Owen's signature, your computer will only have to download it *once," even though it *displays* multiple times.
          "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

Thank you, that is good, I didn't want it to be slowing down peoples' computers, I know that gets very annoying.

Owen Macri

Comment

In Season 2 (i think) of SG1, Anubis' ship is travelling to earh about 40X the speed of light, Sam says so herself.
              In Reality, if you travel faster than light, you are theoretically going back in time.

Comment

I think you mean Klorels' Ship, and I believe that she said 100 X the speed of light. There is no evidence to support that you would go back in time, you are making a huge assumption. Technically, they were not traveling 100X the speed of light, (actualy they were traveling much faster but that is not the point) they were traveling the equivilent of 100X the speed of light. To find speed you can use the distance traveled and the time it takes to travel that distance, because they were traveling in hyperspace, which allows you to travel a significantly greater distance depending on what layer you are in, in a shorter amount of time, while still travel at sublight speeds, to travel that large a distance in that short a time in normal space they would need to be going incredibly faster that the speed of light, which they weren't doing at all.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                  That's the entire basis of scientific theory; it's not amazing, it's a requirement.

Theories are supposed to make predictions of future events. If they don't then they're not theories.
                  I think the conspet of the term "theory" has gotten a little distorted. In the scientific and mathematical realm, a theory is a fairly solid concept, proven over emperically and quallitavely over time. While they are never a 100% garaunteee, theories are as close to the term "law" as one may ever get. If someone comes up with an idea of how to bend space and time, for example, then it's not really a theory, it's just a hypothesis. Only after years of mathematical proofs and emperical data gathering that supports said proofs, does the idea become a theory. Even then, as I said earlier, it's not 100% perfect, but it's a good solid start.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                    I think the conspet of the term "theory" has gotten a little distorted. In the scientific and mathematical realm, a theory is a fairly solid concept, proven over emperically and quallitavely over time. While they are never a 100% garaunteee, theories are as close to the term "law" as one may ever get. If someone comes up with an idea of how to bend space and time, for example, then it's not really a theory, it's just a hypothesis. Only after years of mathematical proofs and emperical data gathering that supports said proofs, does the idea become a theory. Even then, as I said earlier, it's not 100% perfect, but it's a good solid start.
                    You are absolutely correct on all counts.
                    However, even in scientific communities, the term "theory" is not always used with such rigor.
                    "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

I think we are going a bit off topic.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                        A theory can never be guaranteed by its nature. Until someone invents a means of proving that e=mc^2 then Einstein's theory will remain a theory. Only when a theory is proved by a repeatable experiment does it become a law.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just a little off topic, lol, but I agree. Back on topic, no a ship can't travel faster than the speed of light, as far as we know.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
                            A theory can never be guaranteed by its nature. Until someone invents a means of proving that e=mc^2 then Einstein's theory will remain a theory. Only when a theory is proved by a repeatable experiment does it become a law.
                            That is not correct.
                            Theory and laws in scientific terms have entirely different meanings.
                            E=mc^2, for instance, indeed has been *repeatedly* observed in experiments. One such observation is, in fact, matter and anti-matter annihilation of single particles. Therefore, along with numerous other experimental observations, the theory of relativity is regarded as a true scientific theory.
                            A law, despite its common definition, is not definite in scientific terms. A law, in scientific terms, is simply a empirical observation. In fact, we KNOW certain laws in science will break down under many circumstances, but we may STILL call it a law. Two common examples are the Boyle's Law and Beer-Lambert Law.
                            Boyle's Law states that the product of pressure and volume of a gas is a constant. In fact, we KNOW the law is not exact. This law is absolutely true only for "ideal gas," and is only an approximation for real gas.
                            Beer-Lambert Law states that the concentration of a substance is directly proportional to the absorbance. We KNOW this statement is true only at low-enough concentrations.

Comment

Another one is Murphys Law, that isn't even a Law, I don't know why people call it that, just by typing this post and not having my computer go up in flames I am defying Murphys... whatever, it isn't a law it isn't a theory it's a joke basically. Lol, that was soooooooooo off topic. Sorry.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X