Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, as long as an 8 or 9 chevron address hasn't been dialed, the PoO will always be the symbol on top of the gate under chevron 7.
    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
    VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
    MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
    LANDRY
    : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
    Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
    Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
    Mmm... Green...

Comment

Ya, that sounds right.

Owen Macri

Comment

OK, it's making a lot more sense now, thanks.

I was doing some calculations yesterday. Since there is a unique point of origin for every stargate, it would seem that from other gates all you would have to do would be to dial that point, and your point, to establish a wormhole. However, that would mean having a stargate with thousands or millions of symbols, because there would have to be one for every other world.

If every gate just had a random address assigned to it, 6 symbols from the 38, there would be 1,987,690,320 different addresses possible.

If the gates do use three intersecting lines to find a point in space, there would be only 248,461,290 different addresses. It wouldn't matter the order you entered pairs of points; they would still give you the same line. Many of those lines would be skew lines, though, so not all of those addresses would work. That would still be one huge stargate.

Just thought that was kind of interesting.
        Elando na coinya!

Comment

The gates would work with only 38 symbols plus the point of origin. The possible permutations of the symbols are 38X37X36X35X34X33 seeing as there are 38 symbols and 6 chevrons. Even with three intersecting lines formed by six points, there would be the same amount of permutations.

Owen Macri

Comment

With 38 symbols and 6 chevrons, the number of permutations is 38P6, which is also the same as 38x37x36x35x34x33. It equals 1,987,690,320.

If the order of the pairs did not matter, you would use combinations, so it would look like this: (38C2)x(36C2)x(34C2), which equals 248,461,290.
            Elando na coinya!

Comment

Ok, ok, sorry I did not understand what you were trying to say in your original post.

Owen Macri

Comment

That's alright. I guess I was a little too vague.
                Elando na coinya!

Comment

I probably just didn't read it very well.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by SmartEagle
                    With 38 symbols and 6 chevrons, the number of permutations is 38P6, which is also the same as 38x37x36x35x34x33. It equals 1,987,690,320.

If the order of the pairs did not matter, you would use combinations, so it would look like this: (38C2)x(36C2)x(34C2), which equals 248,461,290.
                    Sounds right to me. I'm still wondering why they call it a combination lock, and not a permutation lock, as order does matter with those pesky things.
                    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                    LANDRY
                    Mmm... Green...

Comment

There are lots of people who might not know what permutations are, but technically you aare right.

Owen Macri

Comment

And there are probably tons of people that don't know that the order in combinations don't matter. But if everything was named like that, we wouldn't have any double quarter pounders with cheese. Just half pounders. With cheese.
                        LANDRY
                        Mmm... Green...

Comment

lol, double quarter pounders with cheese!

Owen Macri

Comment

newbie here.. Just wanted to say this thread has been really interesting to read as this has been the exact question running through my mind recently.. I just couldn't figure out how the gate addresses worked if they were in fact based on constellations, due to shift and different viewpoints. All the theories seem to make sense, some of which I had thought of too (but on simple terms.. no calculations going on in this head at the moment), and its just nice to know I'm not the only one who was concerned about this!

Atlantis Base offers greetings from the Pegasus Galaxy
                            "Just when you think you're not in Kansas anymore, it turns out you are."

http://babyseals.care2.com/
                            www.stopthesealhunt.com

Comment

Welcome to the Forum StarDreamer! I hope you enjoy it here, if this thread interested you than try reading some of the others in the Science and Tech section, who knows, you might be interested in them too...

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by StarDreamer
                                newbie here.. Just wanted to say this thread has been really interesting to read as this has been the exact question running through my mind recently.. I just couldn't figure out how the gate addresses worked if they were in fact based on constellations, due to shift and different viewpoints. All the theories seem to make sense, some of which I had thought of too (but on simple terms.. no calculations going on in this head at the moment), and its just nice to know I'm not the only one who was concerned about this!
                                New blood is always welcome... So... Welcome..! I suppose you could think of Owen as the 'unofficial' curator of the Science and Tech forum. He's posted in nearly (if not completely) every thread, usually has the last word, and always tries to keep the coals alive. I personally, don't have the patience to do that...

The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                                My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                                Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Working...
                                X