Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry, I am not sure that I understand your point. For the gate to lock onto a gate it has to calculate several things.

Owen Macri

Comment

Let me try and put it this way most people think of the Stargate addresses as being addresses as in locations. What im saying is that i think is is more reasonable to think of them as phone numbers and not a specific location. Now i know that there are things that contradict this but almost all of the facts we know about the Stargate can be contradicted by other facts. Hopefully u can understand that, it hard to explain

Comment

I understand, however we already know that they are locations, the stargate uses six point to create three lines which will intersect in the middle specifing a volume of space in which the stargate will search for the wormhole, this is said simply, I am not going to go into the more complex details when it is not necesary.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman
          Let me try and put it this way most people think of the Stargate addresses as being addresses as in locations. What im saying is that i think is is more reasonable to think of them as phone numbers and not a specific location. Now i know that there are things that contradict this but almost all of the facts we know about the Stargate can be contradicted by other facts. Hopefully u can understand that, it hard to explain
          not only are there things to contradict it, there is nothing to support it. it has always been that the address in not specific to the gate. if you move a gate, you get a completely new address, it has always been this way. no contradiction.

Comment

A half example of this was in the season two premier "The Serpents' Lair," when the SGC tried to redial the adress that O'Neill and his team went to, it didn't work because the ship with the gate had already left orbit. When it arrived at Earth Daniel was able to dial out to the Alpha site, fine because the point of origin symbol had been updated when they entered orbit around Earth. If Earth Burried its' two other gates, and then someone dialed Earth, the gate aboared Klorels' ship would have activated.

Owen Macri

Comment

Ok im kind of embarrassed i can't remember exactly what point i was trying to make. I guess i was just giving a better way of how the Stargates should be theoretically set up so that like for example the Atlantis Stargate could be used even when it is not on a planet.

On a side note i am exhausted i just got back from a mile long walk up and down up and down hills, and i am definitely not in good shape, im really tier and i don't have enough energy for my brain to function totally. So please for give.
              *head hits the desk* zzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Lol, that is ok, I have forgotten my point more than once as well. You are right, if each gate had a specific adress it would be more efficient because they could be used when not in orbit around a planet, however there would also be other factors to include that would make it more difficult and possibly impossible. First, instead of the gate searching a small area for a gate, it would have to search the entire galaxy, assuming that you are only going to use them in one galaxy.

There is also the Ancients to consider, they created the gate network to travel freely among thier worlds, not to use as mobile transporters on ships, they probably had other technology to do that.

Lol, next time put a pillow on your desk so you don't bang your head.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                  Lol, next time put a pillow on your desk so you don't bang your head.

Owen Macri
                  ok thanks that a good idea, i think my brain is starting to work again

Comment

Lol, that is good, give it a minute just to be sure you don't have any permanent brain damage! lol, you will be fine!

Owen Macri

Comment

I have been wondering something about points of origin: if the point of origin in the address changes for every planet, how is SG1 always able to dial home with the same address?
                      Elando na coinya!

Comment

Hey SmartEagle, welcome to the forum!

The reason that they are able to Dial Home using the same adress is because the adress of Earth won't change (not including coorelative updates), only the 7th symbol, the point of origin will, they can easily determine the point of origin by looking at the DHD or stargate and finding the one symbol that is unique to that gate, it would be the point of origin. This would require memorizing the other 38 symbols, but that wouldn't be hard if you tried. Actually it might be a bit hard. lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by SmartEagle
                          I have been wondering something about points of origin: if the point of origin in the address changes for every planet, how is SG1 always able to dial home with the same address?
                          The point of Origin doesn't actually change. The location of the gate itself may change, but it still uses the same PoO symbol on the gate. The first 6 symbols on the gate are specific to the location of the star system where the destination stargate resides. The seventh symbol (the point of origin) will always be different depending on which gate your using. Each gate has a unique origin symbol. You may use an address from any location, as long as you use the specific symbol of origin on whatever gate your using. That would be the only symbol that would change wherever you are. The 6 address symbols will remain the same, unless the destination gate has been moved to another star system. If that is the case, you'd have to find the gate to determine its new address, otherwise you'll never use that gate again.

So... to recap. The stargate address only changes if the gate has been removed from its star system, or many thousands of years have passed and you have to recalculate the address because of stellar drift. That is a catch to gate travel... you have to calculate new addresses for the gates evey few thousand years, because they've moved. However, if your a reasonably scientifically advanced culture (like ours) that isn't too big a deal. You just use your astronomic knowledge combined with the old gate address, then simply adjust the address to fit the stellar movements. Then, assuming your calculations were correct, you'll have the correct new gate address and can continue using that gate. Fortunately, you only have to worry about that every few thousand years... so it isn't like you have to constantly be updating your address list all the time. Just once in a very great while.
                          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Oh, was that what SmartEagle was asking, sorry if my post was not what you were looking for. And nice post Seastallion.

Owen Macri

Comment

So, in the movie, the reason why Daniel couldn't figure out the seventh symbol quickly was because he didn't know which one was unique? The other thing I was curious about was how SG1 frequently makes hasty escapes through the stargate, while it doesn't appear that they have taken any time to find the origin symbol, and just dials their home address automatically.
                              Elando na coinya!

Comment

I think that was part of the reason, the other reason was because in the movie the two gates had completly diffrent symbols, they were based constelations in the movie, so the gate on Abydos has constellations seen from abydos as the symbols, the gate on earth had constellations seen from earth as the symbols, they didn't have the whole "stellar drift" idea in there.

It is possible that the point of origin is allways in the same spot on the DHD, so even if they don't know the symbol they just push whichever button is there.

It is also possible that they had time to find the point of origin earlier, or really have them memorized well, and can find the point of origin in seconds.

The first seems the most likley.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                                X