Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, that is pretty cool, what is the source of that information, I am curious.

Also what is the source that the antarctic gate is among the oldest, I vaguley remember this from an episode, but I can't remember which.

Actually, it is theoretically possible to have more than one gate in a solar system, it is not however possible, to have more than one gate on a planet, the way that the gates are currently set up. For example, if the gates were set up as short range transportation devices identifying each individual gate then you could have more than one on a planet, however that is a little off-topic.

Back to my original point, it is theoretically possible to have more than one gate in a solar system, if you have any evidence, or an idea that could say otherwise, I would like to hear it.

Owen Macri

Comment

we know for a fact that there is at least one system with more than one gate in it. see "Maternal Insitinct"

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
        Oh, that is pretty cool, what is the source of that information, I am curious.

Also what is the source that the antarctic gate is among the oldest, I vaguley remember this from an episode, but I can't remember which.

Actually, it is theoretically possible to have more than one gate in a solar system, it is not however possible, to have more than one gate on a planet, the way that the gates are currently set up. For example, if the gates were set up as short range transportation devices identifying each individual gate then you could have more than one on a planet, however that is a little off-topic.

Back to my original point, it is theoretically possible to have more than one gate in a solar system, if you have any evidence, or an idea that could say otherwise, I would like to hear it.

Owen Macri
        I got the info from here at Gateworld. The episode your looking for is 'Frozen'. You can have more than one gate in a single system... (you could have thousands), but if they are at different immediate locations than it makes using them impractical. If they are all in the same area, it could be done effectively enough. Otherwise, you won't know which gate you are going to return through. (What would have happened if Sg1 returned to Earth through the Russian stargate by accident??... you get my point.) So you see... you can have 2 or more stargates on a single planet. (Remember 'Watergate'??...I would've thought you'd remember that.) You just can't travel from gate to gate on the same planet. The Stargates are strictly interstellar in nature. It would be theoretically possible to set up a similiar device that could be set up for intraplanetary transport. However, it wouldn't be a stargate...more like a 'city-gate'...or something.

The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
        My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
        Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Hey, I dont know if this is the right section to post.... but:

My question is this: Why the hell do the Stargates have nine chevron's? We know from the movies and the series that 7 are used for travel throughout a galaxy. 8 are used to travel between galaxies...... what does nine do? different universes?... dimensions maybe? dunno, but i was just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
            we know for a fact that there is at least one system with more than one gate in it. see "Maternal Insitinct"
            There has been some debate about that, but untill we know for sure we can't use that episode as evidence, however we can use scientific fact, please see my next post, which is in response to Seastallions last post.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
              I got the info from here at Gateworld. The episode your looking for is 'Frozen'. You can have more than one gate in a single system... (you could have thousands), but if they are at different immediate locations than it makes using them impractical. If they are all in the same area, it could be done effectively enough. Otherwise, you won't know which gate you are going to return through. (What would have happened if Sg1 returned to Earth through the Russian stargate by accident??... you get my point.) So you see... you can have 2 or more stargates on a single planet. (Remember 'Watergate'??...I would've thought you'd remember that.) You just can't travel from gate to gate on the same planet. The Stargates are strictly interstellar in nature. It would be theoretically possible to set up a similiar device that could be set up for intraplanetary transport. However, it wouldn't be a stargate...more like a 'city-gate'...or something.

Are you saying that in "Frozen" they established that Earth was not the ancients homeworld, I don't remember that. If not what are you using "Frozen" as an example for?

Actually the number of possible stargates in a solar system is directly proportional to the number of orbiting planetary bodies that do not switch places (Neptune and Pluto, for example) if you have twenty-five planetary bodies in a solar system you can have twenty-five stargates in that system that may all be used simulatniously and individualy. You can not have more than one gate on a planet, that will work individualy. I do remember "Watergate" however, in this episode it proved that you can not succesfully use two stargates on the same planet, this, however does not apply to two stargates in a solar system.

Know, I belive that we all know the Stargate uses six points in space to identify an area, where the stargate is located. To find a stargate, you can't simply identify, the exact point where the stargate is, this is because the planet rotates, and because it orbits around a star. Now, if a planet were stationary, or not orbiting around a star, but simply rotating is space, you could identify only the planet, using six points, to find a stargate. However this is not the case, the planets do orbit around stars, so you need to identify the entire orbit of the planet around its mother star, to identify the gate, this is because the planet will never leave its orbit, if it does, bad things have happend.

Now to identify a volume of space using six points you need those points to actually be areas, instead of points, by definition a point takes up no space, so, somehow, those points need to expand to encompass the entire orbit of the planet around the star. You do this by including a mathematical formula, along with other information that says, point 1 expands out this far, in this direction, to form this shape, point two expands out this far, in this direction, to form this shape, etc. Then when the six, newly formed, areas, meet after intersecting, they will identify a volume of space, the planets orbit around its star.

Now if you only want one gate in a system, this is all that you have to do, however if you want more than one gate in a system, there is one more step. First we know that the stargate searches the identified volume for a stargate, if it finds one that is not active the gate will activate. Now if you want to have more than one gate in a system, you need to identify a smaller volume, the current volume that you have identified encompases the orbit of the planet, the star, not the entire star beacause the volume exands vertically only as far as the planets' vertical diameter, it also encompases anything between the planets' outermost point and the star. To identify a smaller volume, more specifically, only the volume of space that the planet orbits, nothing more nothing less, then you include the dimensions of the planet, more specifically things like, the circumfrance along the equator, the diameter, things like this, then the gate will only identify a sort of "tubical volume," if you will, around the star, the planet never leaves this "tubical volume," it is the planets orbit. With the modifications that you have made, now the gate will only search that "tubical area" around the star for a gate, nothing more, nothing less. If you have planets furthur out you will have larger tubical volumes farther out from the star, if you have planets closer to the sun with a gate, you will have smaller tubical volumes, closer in to the star. This makes it theoretically possbile to have more than one working, useable, stargate in a solar system at the same time, however it makes it impossible to have more than one useable gate on a planet at the same time.

Now do you understand what I am saying?

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by DominionGrey
                Hey, I dont know if this is the right section to post.... but:

My question is this: Why the hell do the Stargates have nine chevron's? We know from the movies and the series that 7 are used for travel throughout a galaxy. 8 are used to travel between galaxies...... what does nine do? different universes?... dimensions maybe? dunno, but i was just wondering.
                There are several other threads on this topic, but I am happy to explain it to you anyways.

So far in the show, it hasn't been established what the ninth chevron does, we know that since the eigth chevron is to expand the gate network, and to expand the power of the Stargate, this is the only logical assumption that we can make for the fuctionality of the ninth chevron, anything else is guess work.

However if you would like to hear some of the "guess work" there are several threads on it, including this one,

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=8025

( I started it )

I hope that I could help you, and welcome to The GateWorld Forum, enjoy.

Owen Macri

Comment

I was saying the spoiler came from here at Gateworld. (about where the Ancients are from?) The episode "Frozen" was where we found out the Antartic gate was among the oldest in gate network. On to the rest...

I understood everything you said. Everything. However...

I'm sorry to tell you... you are incorrect. The Russians managed to successfully operate their stargate concurrently with our own... ON THE SAME PLANET. You just can't use 2 stargates at the exact same time. (within the same star system) EVER. If you remember "Watergate", then you should remember that the SGC couldn't use their stargate, because the Russian gate was active. This means only ONE wormhole can be used in a single star system at any one time. The wormhole travels completely outside of 'normal' space-time...therefore there is no theoretical limit (planet based, or otherwise) on how many stargates could exist (and work) on a single planet. It is mostly just ineffecient to use more than one stargate on a planet, particularly if the stargates are on different parts of the planet. When you are returning, you can never be certain as to which part of the planet you are going to return to. It was never established on any episode that the number of stargates a solar system can have is proportional to the number of planets. That is something that you simply mistook to be the case. Or made up. In any case, it is a moot point. No matter how many gates you have in a star system, you can only use them one at a time. (also...if you are using more than one stargate on more than one planet, in the same star system...you have the exact same problem if you have more than one stargate on a single planet. You can never be sure which planet your going to return to. So that is why there is generally only one stargate per star system.)

There is only ONE stargate address per star system... not multiple...so it would be impossible to specify a single planet to go to inside the destination star system. When the SGC (or any one else) uses a gate address to determine a planets location... they are in fact only finding the star system's location. They have to find the correct planet once they get there... although that is usually obvious, because it would be rare for there to be more than one planet with a breathable atmosphere.

As to 'areas'...*groan* you completely missed my point. You don't use areas... You use the intersection of three axis, to identify the location of a single star system. Not a planet, or moon, or any other terrestrial body in space. Just stars. The 'points' are not anywhere near the star system your trying to reach. The 'points' are WAY outside the star system. (the 'points' are stars themselves...very far away stars from the destination star.) Ok... You know the Earth spins on an imaginary 'axis'. The axis the Earth spins on, is formed by a line drawn between the N. Pole, and the S. Pole. The axis that are used to identify a star system are imaginary also. The 'points' are based on actual celestial objects (other stars) to form an imaginary line between the 2 stars to form an 'axis'. When you take three of those axis, and intersect them (forming a six pointed 'star' of sorts), you will find a star system at the center of the intersection. THAT is your destination. (not any terrestrial body orbiting the star...just the star itself)

Your under the impression that the stargate can identify an area as small as a single planetary orbit. No. The 'tubical' stuff... you can toss that. It isn't related, what so ever. As I said before... the Stargate is intuitive, meaning it searches the entire star system for ONE inactive stargate. If none is found...NO Lock. If one is found...anywere...within the star system (that isn't buried)... LOCK..!! It is like a cowboy tossing a lasso. He's throwing to a given area (as identified by the intersection of the three axis...the entire star system) and is hoping to 'rope' a gate.

You need to look at my drawing (on my above post), and look closely. The 'axis' lines are crossing enormous distances. The 'axis' cross the height, width, and depth of the entire galaxy. HUGE. The 'cube' I made is larger than the entire galaxy. You use the cube as an imaginary reference...nothing more. The 'axis' lines are drawn between 2 of the sides of the cube (those 'points' on each side of the cube), and when you combine the three lines, or axis you get three-way intersection. The axis use the 'points' to figure out where they should cross at, for a specific location within the cube. The lines, or axis move according to the 'points' (the 38 stargate symbols), and where those three lines intersect (according to the symbols in the gate address), is where the wormhole will travel to looking for an inactive stargate. I wish I had an animation... it would make explaining so much easier.

The 'points' don't form any geometric shape for there to be any volume or area to. You cannot identify a single planetary location (unless you have a highly detailed virtual astrograph model which will calculate a planets position around a star. For that you have to know the exact distance of the planet and it relative orbit time, which the stargate doesn't need for it's operative purposes) All you are dealing with are 3 lines, and those lines happen to cross one another, giving you the position you want to arrive at. The hollow cube thing...(just a reference tool, nothing more) Those lines are 'connected' to a point (anywhere on the cube's side...of which there are 6), so that the lines intersect anywhere within the cube. Not neccessarily the center of the cube... it could be closer to any side of the cube than another. Up, down, or all around. Just so long as the three 'strings' (if that helps, or lines, or axis) are crossing one another giving you the location your looking for. (the point where all three strings are crossing each other.)

*whew* I'm tired. LOL So... No area, no volume (as it applies to a single star system or planetary orbit)...just an intersection of three lines. Three very long lines. That's it. Galactic long lines. clear??

did I mention I was tired??
                  The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                  Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

So for the rest of us, who like to skim through posts:

Owen Macri's thoery: The gate uses the address to target a specific planet, or the outer rim of the planet's orbit. If there are two or more gates on a planet, only one will connect, but if there was on, say, Mars, it could activate at the same time as the Earth 'gate. You can have as many gates around a star system as you want, as long as they are a few million/hundred thousand miles apart, and in different orbits.

Seastallion's theory: The stargate uses an address to find a star. The 'gate then jumps to the highest priority 'gate(The one with a DHD, if both have DHD's, the last one used) in the proximity of the star. Gates within the same system cannot be active at the same time.

6thMonolith's theory: Each 'gate was given an address when it was made. When an address is dialed, the specific gate is hunted down, like a phone book, and then is activated. My theory falls to bits when you have more than one 'gate in a system, for both the addresses would be the same(The Antartic/Egyptian gates have the same address).

In my oppinion, I like Seastallion's theory a bit more. It means that each address caries enough information to find a star, but not enough for an orbit. That seems a bit more reasonable to me.

Side note: I don't think that the SGC knows how to find a 'gate based off the address. They had no idea where Atlantis was when they found the address. Wait... They found the address in Atlantus, right? That means that either the Ancients knew exactly where they were going with Atlantis, exactly to the star system(unlikely) or that they had already assigned an address to the Atlantis gate. Or someone just reported back through the 'gate system with the address.
                    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                    VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                    MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                    LANDRY
                    : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                    Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                    Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                    Mmm... Green...

Comment

Ok, i'm not even sure where to start, this would be so much easier if we could talk face to face, but I guess I will manage.

First of all, there were several areas of your post were you went way off topic, making it difficult for me to focus on your main point, and the evidence you have backing up your points.

I guess I should start with a, thank you for the clarification on the episode reference, and could you possibly tell me exactly where on gateworld it was that tells where the ancients were from?

Ok, next the only reason the Russians managed to run a stargate program was becuase they had detailed intel about our gate program, however it is not practical to run to gates on a planet for the exact reason that you said, you wouldn't be able to tell where you would come back, and you wouldn't be able to use two gates at the same time. I agree with you on that. Next.

Your point that you can't use two gates in a solar system at the same time, and the example of "Watergate" are flawed. In "Watergate" the gates were on the same planet, they never established that more than one gate in a system can't be used at the same time, and if they did, they would have been wrong.

I know they never said in an episode that the number of useable gates in a system is proportional to the number of planets thats' orbits don't cross, but it is the truth, I will go into furthur detail in a minute.

Your point that if you have more than one gate in a system has no evidence to back it up. As well as your point that there is only one adress per solar system. You make it seem as though the team has to physically look at each planet and then pick one, this is not the case, the stargate searches the specified volume of space that is identified for a useable stargate. I know you don't think i'm right about this but I will explian furthur later in this post. It is also not rare to find more than one planet in a solar system with a breathable atmosphere, the ancient terraformed most of the worlds that they put gates on, so that they were suitable to support human life.

First of all, you are correct, you don't use an area to identify a planets orbit, you use a volume, an area is two dimensional, I don't know of any two dimensional planets. You do however use areas to identify the volume, I will go into this furthur later in my post. I assume when you say axis, you mean line. Yes, it is true, you use three lines to identify the gate, the three lines are a result of the intersection of the six points. I agree with the next point also, the points in space are not close to the gates, for the gate system to work they would have to be very far away. However I disagree with the next point, the 38 points used to identify a gate are not stars, by definition a point takes up no area, and no volume, I believe that a star does take up volume.

Now I am not quite sure about your next point, if you are saying that the three intersecting lines just end up somewhere in the solar system, then you are wrong, and I will go into this later in my post as well. If, however you are saying the the intersection of the three lines, encompass the entire system then you are right, and this is a big misunderstanding, and we are both arguing the same point. I somehow doubt this. Then you go on to say, "just the star itself" if you identified only the star then the gate would have to be, in the star, if you are suggesting that somehow the gate searches the space around the star for a gate, that would be impossible, with no boundries, the gate would have to search the entire universe, to find a gate outside the star, you need boundries, this is were my volumes come in.

Ok, the next point, The Stargate can, theoretically, identify an volume, as small as a planets orbit. Now even if you just wanted to search the solar system for a gate, you would need a volume, it would be a volume, sperical in nature, the tubical volume is an offshoot of the spherical volume. If you are going to argue that there is no spherical volume either, then you would also have to argue that the gate network is impossible as it is currently set up. Without a volume of space to search there is no way to find the gate without searching the entire universe, or randomly searching.

I agree with you, the gate does search for a stargate, however, weather it searches an entire solar system or simply the orbit of a planet, is the way the ancients set it up, if the ancients set it up to only have one gate in a system, then yes, the gate would search the whole system for a stargate, however it would only take a slight modification to allow more than one gate in a system, also if you set it up with the tubical volumes, then there is less space for the gate to search allowing for a faster lock.

Now I am seriously getting the impression that we are arguing the same point. Ok, instead of continuing this one sided argument, how about we try to clear things up, I am going to ask questions and you ask if you agree or not, ok?

1. do you agree, the gate uses six points to find a gate?

2. Do you agree, the six points intersect to form three lines?

3. Do you agree, the three lines intersect in the middle to identify a volume of space, ex. a solar system)?

4. Do you agree, the gate searches the identified area for a gate that is not in use?

If you said yes to number one and two, then you also agree with three, because for the gate to identify a solar system, as you said in your post, than the gate needs to identify a volume of space, weather the information is stored in the dhds and is updated along with the co-orelative updates, and simply says, at the intersection point of the three lines, that point extends out, this far, in these directions, then the gate searches. Or if the gate says that each of the six points expands out so far to have a volume of space identified at the intersection.

If you agree with this than we are arguing the same point, the only thing that our views differ on are which way the ancients designed the gate network, in this case the only thing that can tell us the correct answer, is the show. Also, we both have to agree that each others point is, theoretically possible, if you agree with what I said, than I agree, you point is theoretically possible, and you should also agree that my point is theoretically possible, because, theoretically, they are both possible.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion

Actually, there has been three differnt gates in this solar system at the same time. "Inside the Serpants Grasp" there was the SGC gate, the Antartic Gate as well as the Apothis had on his ship- which Daniel used to escape the exploding mothership. That gate didn't work after the jump to hyperspace because the POO was invalid. It did work in this system bacuse it was able to use the same POO as earth.

Now here's an intresting question. Lets say that the SGC did have a fully functioning DHD attached to its gate. What would have happened if someone had decided to gate to earth after the motherships had entered they system? there would have been two gates with attached DHD using the same adress. Which one would have received the wormhole or would the wormhole even from in the first place?

:EDIT:
                        P.S. I just realized that that gate might still be floating around out there. we've seen the gate survive near hit from an metor, a directed nuclear blast, and a couple of minuets near the "surface" of a sun. Surly a puny 2 mothership explosion wouldn't do much more than scorch the pain job.
                        Adam:"I reject your reality and subisute myown."

O'Neill:
                        "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

Carter:
                        "It took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

CARTER: You made [this]?
                        ORLIN: You wouldn't believe the things you could make from the common simple idems lying around your planet. Which reminds me...you're going to need a new microwave.

Weir: You destroyed 3/4 of a solar system!
                        McKay: Actually 5/6, its not an extact science.

Slashdot:
                        "Well railguns are neat and all, but I'm still not joining the Army until they invent the respawn point."

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
                          Side note: I don't think that the SGC knows how to find a 'gate based off the address. They had no idea where Atlantis was when they found the address. Wait... They found the address in Atlantus, right? That means that either the Ancients knew exactly where they were going with Atlantis, exactly to the star system(unlikely) or that they had already assigned an address to the Atlantis gate. Or someone just reported back through the 'gate system with the address.
                          Your right...partly. The SGC can't find a stargate based on a gate address...but they can find the star system where the stargate is located. If you remember in Prometheus Unbound, they were able to calculate the location of Atlantis in the Pegasus galaxy because of the Stargate address they had. Meaning, they could fly to the star system and go to the breathable atmosphere water planet...and voila! They find Atlantis, and subsequently the stargate there. (but they weren't really looking for the gate afterall, were they?) They found the address to Atlantis in the Antartic oupost. The most likely explanation, is that when Atlantis arrived at the planet it settled down on, they opened a wormhole back to Earth and transmitted the new gate address back to the outpost. They didn't need to assign a specific gate address upon their departure, they just needed to calculate the address after their arrival to 'Lantia' and simply open a wormhole back to Earth to let them know, the new address.
                          Spoiler:

Comment

In reply to Owen:

I believe it was in the Joe Mallozzi thread... I think. (the spoiler)

Your point that you can't use two gates in a solar system at the same time, and the example of "Watergate" are flawed. In "Watergate" the gates were on the same planet, they never established that more than one gate in a system can't be used at the same time, and if they did, they would have been wrong.
                            Just so you realize... you just made a critical error. If the show says it... then it is right. Never wrong. (despite any theoretical impossibilities we might apply) We have a major disagreement point here. You believe that more than one stargate can be active in the same star system (just not on the same planet), and I'm telling you that you can not.

I know they never said in an episode that the number of useable gates in a system is proportional to the number of planets thats' orbits don't cross, but it is the truth, I will go into furthur detail in a minute.

Your point that if you have more than one gate in a system has no evidence to back it up. As well as your point that there is only one adress per solar system. You make it seem as though the team has to physically look at each planet and then pick one, this is not the case, the stargate searches the specified volume of space that is identified for a useable stargate. I know you don't think i'm right about this but I will explian furthur later in this post. It is also not rare to find more than one planet in a solar system with a breathable atmosphere, the ancient terraformed most of the worlds that they put gates on, so that they were suitable to support human life.
                            Actually, my point about there being only ONE gate address per star system is well established. "You make it seem as though the team has to physically look at each planet and then pick one, this is not the case, the stargate searches the specified volume of space that is identified for a useable stargate.-Owen" On the contrary... That is your argument, not mine. I'm telling you, the SGC (or anyone else) doesn't have a choice as to where the stargate will send them within a solar system. They cannot refine the address to a single planetary orbit. They can ONLY choose an entire star system to travel to. The wormhole connects to a stargate there, and they are stuck with it, unless they physically get in a spaceship go to the planet where the stargate is located, and actually move it themselves to another place. Even if there were more than one stargate in a single star system, they wouldn't have a choice as to which one their stargate connected to. It would be random at best.

Yes, it is true, you use three lines to identify the gate, the three lines are a result of the intersection of the six points. I agree with the next point also, the points in space are not close to the gates, for the gate system to work they would have to be very far away. However I disagree with the next point, the 38 points used to identify a gate are not stars, by definition a point takes up no area, and no volume, I believe that a star does take up volume.
                            No it isn't. The three lines do not identify a gate. They do identify an entire star system. The six 'points' do not intersect. The 'points' are used to create 3 axis, which do intesect. The 'points' are imaginary, but they use actual objects (stars) as physical markers. However, since all stars move... the stargate dialing program must continually be updated (with the new star positions) in order for the gate to be able to continue dialing out. So you see... your point about stars taking up volume is moot. The 'points' are imaginary...the stars, are simply markers...sign-post. Nothing more.

Now I am not quite sure about your next point, if you are saying that the three intersecting lines just end up somewhere in the solar system, then you are wrong, and I will go into this later in my post as well. If, however you are saying the the intersection of the three lines, encompass the entire system then you are right, and this is a big misunderstanding, and we are both arguing the same point. I somehow doubt this. Then you go on to say, "just the star itself" if you identified only the star then the gate would have to be, in the star, if you are suggesting that somehow the gate searches the space around the star for a gate, that would be impossible, with no boundries, the gate would have to search the entire universe, to find a gate outside the star, you need boundries, this is were my volumes come in.
                            The three lines are imaginary... they don't actually exist anywhere. However, the lines intersect at a specific position...the star closest to the intersection is the destination star system. As I said before (and again), the Stargate is intuitive... thus the wormhole seeks out any inactive stargate anywhere near the star. IF, and I stress if, the stargate were on the surface of the sun, then yes...the wormhole would activate there. However, that is unlikely to happen. Remember the lasso analogy? Imagine the bulls head being an entire star system... the cowboy is aiming for it. However, the cowboy's aim isn't entirely exact, so... he'll just settle for a general 'roping'. When his lasso makes contact, it then quickly tightens and locks on to the bulls neck. The same is true of how stargates connect with one another. If you can imagine... the lasso (the circular part at the end of the rope) has a 'preset' boundary to find the bulls neck. The distances between individual stars is very vast. So if a stargate searches every ounce of space between pluto's orbit and the center of the sun... if there is a stargate, it will be found. Keep in mind the stargate works at hyperluminal speeds...so searching for a stargate in that kind of 'volume' would take mere seconds, or less. Also, I imagine the the gate has an 'attractor' or beacon of sorts to guide an incoming wormhole right to it. Thus making search time, much shorter, because the stargate is screaming, "Here I am...!!!"

Ok, the next point, The Stargate can, theoretically, identify an volume, as small as a planets orbit. Now even if you just wanted to search the solar system for a gate, you would need a volume, it would be a volume, sperical in nature, the tubical volume is an offshoot of the spherical volume. If you are going to argue that there is no spherical volume either, then you would also have to argue that the gate network is impossible as it is currently set up. Without a volume of space to search there is no way to find the gate without searching the entire universe, or randomly searching.
                            Theoretically, maybe. Actually, no. That isn't how stargate addresses work. They can only be used to identify an entire star system... not the individual planets within. You would need a much more complicated address to identify the inidividual planets, and the current address system simply does not work that way. I understand why your using the 'tube' analogy...but it doesn't work. Star systems don't neccessarily operate on the same plane of rotation. Meaning one star system planetary rotation, could be completely inverted or vertical to another star systems planetary rotation. Heck, just in our star system alone... Pluto's orbit is not in the same orbital plane as the other 8 planets. (suggesting it could've been a rogue planetoid caught in our suns gravitational pull.) You can use the sphere if you want, but it makes thing needlessly complicated. It is easier to simply say, that the wormhole searches everywhere within a certain radius of the suns location. That much is true... (my lasso analogy?)

I agree with you, the gate does search for a stargate, however, weather it searches an entire solar system or simply the orbit of a planet, is the way the ancients set it up, if the ancients set it up to only have one gate in a system, then yes, the gate would search the whole system for a stargate, however it would only take a slight modification to allow more than one gate in a system, also if you set it up with the tubical volumes, then there is less space for the gate to search allowing for a faster lock.
                            Your talking theory now... not actualities. IF, is not is. The Ancients did not make the gate system interplanetary, they made it interstellar. Which ever planet they happened to set the stargate on (usually for good reasons), is the only place in the star system your going to go. Your talking about modifications, which leads me to think you know the truth of the matter. Stargates do not look for planetary orbits. Just a star system itself, and then locks onto the gate where ever it is, within the star system. Hopefully, on planet you can breathe on. (there have been examples, where the planet wasn't... remember the one they where they had to use spacesuits? or 'Watergate' for example)

1.) I agree the stargate uses 6 points to find a star system... not a gate.

2.) I agree the 6 points are used to form 3 axis which intersect to locate a specific star system. The 'points' themselves, do not intersect. How could they?

3.) 'Middle' is a subjective term. The intersection is not neccessarily at the middle of anything. In fact, the intersection could be on the far end of an axis, as opposed to the center of an axis. It just depends on 'how' the axis are intersecting. There are nearly an infinite possible number of axis intersection combinations. Combination... key word there... which is how the gate address works.

4.) More or less.

We have a very basic difference of views. You want to believe that the stargate network is set up to identify specific planets (or a planetary orbit, which is the same thing), based on the gate address. I'm telling you that is impossible. You would need more than six gate symbols to accomplish that. Probably more than 9 chevrons on the gate too. The stargate is dealing with incredibly vast amounts of space...you are asking for precision beyond reason. Also it is unneccesary. It would be like asking some one to shoot a fly off of the wall on the Empire State building on the 53rd floor from the ground, with a rifle. On the other hand, you could use a bazooka and do the same job. Less precise, but at least you get the fly. (nevermind the imperfections of the analogy, and the damage to the building )

*whew* I'm tired again.
                            Last edited by Seastallion; 09 May 2005, 02:21 AM.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

I don't have time right now to argue every point in your post, I have to go to school, so I will just argue one. You would not need more than six points or more than nine chevrons to identify a planets orbit as I have said before. We already know that the stargate stores information, the coorelative updates. I will say again, even if you wanted to set up the gate network your way, you would still have to identify a volume of space, otherwise the gate would search almos endlessly, randomly, until one was found. Now it is possible to identify a single orbit of a planet, first the six points contain information saying how far they expand, than they extand until they meet, the larger they are the greater volume they will encompass. If the volume that they identify starts at the outermost edge of a planets orbit and extends in all that you would need to do to identify only the planets' orbit would be to include the diameter of the planet and a program that compensates for that.

Owen Macri

P.S. I will get back to the rest of your points later, as well as those post previously made by other people.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                                I don't have time right now to argue every point in your post, I have to go to school, so I will just argue one. You would not need more than six points or more than nine chevrons to identify a planets orbit as I have said before. We already know that the stargate stores information, the coorelative updates. I will say again, even if you wanted to set up the gate network your way, you would still have to identify a volume of space, otherwise the gate would search almos endlessly, randomly, until one was found. Now it is possible to identify a single orbit of a planet, first the six points contain information saying how far they expand, than they extand until they meet, the larger they are the greater volume they will encompass. If the volume that they identify starts at the outermost edge of a planets orbit and extends in all that you would need to do to identify only the planets' orbit would be to include the diameter of the planet and a program that compensates for that.

Owen Macri

P.S. I will get back to the rest of your points later, as well as those post previously made by other people.
                                *shake's head*...*sigh*... I'm not going over any of that stuff again. You can go back and read it, if you want. You really need to get off this endless volume kick. I know what your saying, but you haven't understood me yet. Think like O'Neill for a second... Magnets. It works by using magnets. Or, more seriously... the stargate itself attracts the wormhole to it. Everything in the universe operates on energy waves, which in essence means that everything is connected, like a great fabric. (you've heard the saying, 'the fabric of space'.) Anyways... this means that the wormhole isn't without some guidance... the stargate address points the wormhole in the general direction it needs to go... but the gate itself is like a guy waiting for the wormhole to arrive with a bull-horn, and signal-flasher...saying, "Here I am...hey, you...wormhole...over here!!!". And then, the wormhole runs straight to the gate.

It would be like me sending you down the road with some basic directions...but telling you when you get to where your going, someone is going to meet you and say, "Over here". Thus, you know exactly where to go... same for the stargate. The inactive stargate acts like 'chafuer', getting the wormhole to where it needs to go, once it arrive in the star system. Not before. The gate address is just a generalized set of directions...the connecting stargate does the rest. No specific planet locations, or anything like that. The off-world gate does that part. Ok... I'm done.
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X