X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

x-303 whould not win a battlestar

x-304 (whit asgard thec) whould win a battlestar

Comment

Ha'tak's have survived direct nuke attacks.

So I am sure the Promethus shields will survive the nukes the Galatica sends at it.

But if the Prometheus decides to nuke the Galactica...it is all over.

The rail guns will do only some damage to the Galactica.

Galactica is outclassed due to shields.

Comment

The thing is I'm not sure how effective either of the two's weapons would be on each other. Battlestar's weapons will do virtually nothing to the Asgard shields of the Prometheus but the point defense of galactic will prevent nukes from being hitting the hull unless beaming is used.

If I was the Prometheus I would destroy Galactic by ramming it lol.
        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
          The thing is I'm not sure how effective either of the two's weapons would be on each other. Battlestar's weapons will do virtually nothing to the Asgard shields of the Prometheus but the point defense of galactic will prevent nukes from being hitting the hull unless beaming is used.

If I was the Prometheus I would destroy Galactic by ramming it lol.
          well thats one way LOL

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
          Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Beaming a nuke into another ship is something the Asguard Hermiod had to enable in order for it to start being used on the Wraith.

Originally posted by seige part 3
            DAEDALUS. BRIDGE. The second set of warheads also fail to destroy the hive ship.
            SHEPPARD: Well, now we’re 0 for 2. How many of these things have you got?
            CALDWELL: Only one needs to get through.
            SHEPPARD: Is there any way we can deliver a warhead the same way you plucked me out of the Jumper?
            CALDWELL: The Asgard have already considered that, Major. There are failsafes built into the system to prevent their use as a weapons delivery system.
            SHEPPARD: You’ve got one of these Asgard on board? Can he override the failsafe?
            CALDWELL: Why would he do that?
            SHEPPARD: Well, his butt’s on the line just as much as ours.
            (Caldwell thinks about it for a moment, then activates the comms.)
            CALDWELL: Novak, I need you and Hermiod to figure out how to get a site-to-site transport lock on a set of co-ordinates inside the hive ship.
            (In Engineering, Novak murmurs nervously into her mike.)
            NOVAK: No-no-no-no-no-no. Sir, Hermiod isn’t gonna like that.
            CALDWELL: Get it done, Doctor, that’s an order.
            It's more than likely that the ability to beam a nuke into an enemy ship would still be locked out of the prometheus' transporter via the Asguard safeguards.

Since they're not going to be able to get the easy win on the Galactica they're going to have to do it the old fashioned way, with their missiles.

Given that the type of missiles used by the SGC, even on the newer 304 class, have trouble getting through to hit a hive, which has no dedicated point defense weapons and is the size of a city, I don't find that likely. The galactica, by contrast to a hive, is studded with flak guns and and rapid firing machingun type anti fighter/missile turrets and it's also got fighters that are much more suited to intercepting missiles than darts.

Given that BSG ships trade shells the size of Hondas it's not going to have much to worry about from the prometheus railguns either, which are pretty much the same thing as it's own machinegun like anti fighter guns.

Now the question is though whether the galactica can threaten the prometheus back.

I don't think nukes will get the job done, even though we do know it has multiple silos now. The Prometheus has shields that are probably at least half as good as the ones on the Daedalus which should let it eat more than a few megaton level nuclear weapons.

What might be a problem for it though is galactica's large capital scale railguns. While they don't pack the same amount of raw energy as nukes they do have momentum on their side and this seems to be something that a lot of stargate shields have a problem with for some reason.

If you rememebr "beachead"

MARKS: Multiple contacts on multiple bearings, sir.

MITCHELL: What the hell are they?
            CARTER: They are about ten meters long. But sensors read no internal space, no life signs aboard.
            PENDERGAST: rail guns to defensive fire mode! Stand by launch fighters.
            MARKS: One of them is on a collision course.
            CARTER: I can confirm that. 1000 meters… 500.
            PENDERGAST: Sub-light engines to emergency thrust. Brace for impact!
            One of the hataks is destroyed, as the pieces zip upwards, the Prometheus taking several hits, shield holding. Flashes and shakes on bridge
            WOMAN: *in background* Thermal levels rising
            PENDERGAST: Damage report!
            MARKS: There's a hull breach on the hangar deck. Shields are down to 20%.
            PENDERGAST: Return fire. All positions.
            CARTER: Sensors are down.
            PENDERGAST: Take us out of orbit…… We can't stay here.
            The transcript scene description says the prommie took "several hits" but I only remember seeing one glancing hit and the actual dialog says only one of the things was coming at them which seems to agree with that as well.

The ha'tak that was hit full on was destroyed instantly and the Prometheus lost 80% of its shield strength and suffered hull breaches and sensor damage as the result of its glancing encounter with the 10 meter Ori supergate fragment. The fragment wasn't moving particularly fast from what I recall, not fractional c or anything which would place some fairly modest limts on the amount of kinetic energy it would have, even if we assume it's solid uranium.

Given its size and speed compared to the size and speed of Galacticas coilgun/railgun shells, which seem smaller but likely also faster, it's entirely possible that a barrage of shells could get similar results to what this one glance from the supergate piece did.

So basically the galactica does have the capacity to cause damage to the prometheus, despite the Asguard shields, since the shields are apparrently more vulnerable to impact from physical objects like the supergate piece or giant space battleship shells.
            Last edited by Ouroboros; 04 January 2008, 08:33 PM.

Comment

I think a x304 could destroy galactica easily but a BC-303 Prometheus may have some trouble destroying it.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                Okay, Asurans' knowledge = Lanteans' knowledge.

Lanteans = builders of Atlantis and designers of the cityshield.

Since (Lanteans = Asurans), then the Asurans would've known what frequency to shift to in order to blast through the shield. Since they didn't we can assume that isn't the answer.
                Ok so it isn't frequency, then so are we saying that the Asgard beaming technology can beam through any shield? Because they did beam through the cities shield at least once in that episode.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                  Beaming a nuke into another ship is something the Asguard Hermiod had to enable in order for it to start being used on the Wraith.

It's more than likely that the ability to beam a nuke into an enemy ship would still be locked out of the prometheus' transporter via the Asguard safeguards.

Since they're not going to be able to get the easy win on the Galactica they're going to have to do it the old fashioned way, with their missiles.

Given that the type of missiles used by the SGC, even on the newer 304 class, have trouble getting through to hit a hive, which has no dedicated point defense weapons and is the size of a city, I don't find that likely. The galactica, by contrast to a hive, is studded with flak guns and and rapid firing machingun type anti fighter/missile turrets and it's also got fighters that are much more suited to intercepting missiles than darts.

Given that BSG ships trade shells the size of Hondas it's not going to have much to worry about from the prometheus railguns either, which are pretty much the same thing as it's own machinegun like anti fighter guns.

Now the question is though whether the galactica can threaten the prometheus back.

I don't think nukes will get the job done, even though we do know it has multiple silos now. The Prometheus has shields that are probably at least half as good as the ones on the Daedalus which should let it eat more than a few megaton level nuclear weapons.

What might be a problem for it though is galactica's large capital scale railguns. While they don't pack the same amount of raw energy as nukes they do have momentum on their side and this seems to be something that a lot of stargate shields have a problem with for some reason.

If you rememebr "beachead"

The transcript scene description says the prommie took "several hits" but I only remember seeing one glancing hit and the actual dialog says only one of the things was coming at them which seems to agree with that as well.

The ha'tak that was hit full on was destroyed instantly and the Prometheus lost 80% of its shield strength and suffered hull breaches and sensor damage as the result of its glancing encounter with the 10 meter Ori supergate fragment. The fragment wasn't moving particularly fast from what I recall, not fractional c or anything which would place some fairly modest limts on the amount of kinetic energy it would have, even if we assume it's solid uranium.

Given its size and speed compared to the size and speed of Galacticas coilgun/railgun shells, which seem smaller but likely also faster, it's entirely possible that a barrage of shells could get similar results to what this one glance from the supergate piece did.

So basically the galactica does have the capacity to cause damage to the prometheus, despite the Asguard shields, since the shields are apparrently more vulnerable to impact from physical objects like the supergate piece or giant space battleship shells.
                  This is a really good assesment.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X