Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a good point, and, yes, the posible number of galaxies with gates could be extremly large.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
      That means that you only have 38 possible 8-chevron addresses on a single seven-chevron address. If your address is 1-2-3-4-5-6-PoO. To change that to an 8 chevron address, you have 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-PoO or 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-PoO, or 1-2-3-4-5-6-9-PoO, etc. That means that you'd have 38 more possible addresses when using a single six-chevron address. It would be even less, if you cant use the same symbol twice.

Using an 8-chevron address would add quite a few more addresses, not just 38. Thats quite a few extra addresses.
      (Pegasus only has 36? didn't know that.)
      You know, I've been thinking that the distance modifier was like a galactic symbol, similar to a point of origin symbol. I don't know where I got that idea, but you're right. If 7th symbol in an 8 symbol address is a distance modifier, then you'd be able to travel quite far away.

If the base distance multiplied is the diameter of the Milky Way (~100,000 LY), and the symbols for the distance modifiers were exponents, an 8 symbol address could cover the entire universe with alot of room to spare.

Hmmm.
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Ya, I have been thinking along the lines of this. Instead of the eighth symbol being a specific symbol for a specific galaxy, it represents a distance, the stargate then claculates this distance so one symbol could represent a group of galaxies, instead of a single one.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
        X