Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my theory on the extra chevrons. The Ancients put a LOT of time into the gate system, and probably knew that it would need to be upgraded sometime. I think that the gate system is just a huge computer, and once a gate is dialed, it looks up where the wormhole's supposed to go, and engages. It might make sense why more power is needed for more chevrons--the gate needs to access the 'gating computer for instructions. The purpose for the ninth chevron could be programmed, or changed, if need be. Then again, if Anubis knew about the gating system, he could have disabled it, or scrambled the addresses to planets. But hey, at least there wouldn't be any protogates
    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
    VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
    MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
    LANDRY
    : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
    Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
    Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
    Mmm... Green...

Comment

Here... So many of these chevron threads oipen... I'm gonna post this again...
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the inputs of the glyphs being contellations, which doesn't make sense since at different places in the galaxy, constellations would be different... but regardless, the ninth chevron could not be used to pin point anything more specific than another gate because it chooses an area and the present gate homes in on the other gate.

So here are other possiblities?? In list form!
      1. Ninth chevron can be used to open a gate between two worlds Meaning make it open both ways, permenantly perhaps? It would opening a gate between two communities without having to dial all the time and works two way. It isn't used because requires a lot of power. Or more simply, reverse opens the gate meaning opens the gate for the other end for the otherside to travel through.
      2. Another dimension, something like the dimensional mirror (I don't remember if it was Ancient in design)... but this would be awkward again considering the inputs for the SG and DHD.
      3. Designating which Stargate on a planet/system/area having two or more gates needing a more specific entry making the the glyphs to take on new meanings, a numbering system of sorts.
      4. I really like the idea of it being a selector of power supplies. It chooses the offworld gate to supply the power rather than the other way around. This would make it possible for people at Atlantis to travel home if Atlantis ran out of power provided the Earth gate had enough power. This would again force the glyphs to take on a new numbering system. Although this can work corresponding with No. 1.
      5. Time travel... Again, inputs would be awkward.
      6. Further off the wall, it opens two separate gates none of which is the one dialing. Meaning that the ninth chevron acts as the PoO for another gate. Why would anyone do this? I have no idea, maybe the DHD was broken and a supplementary way to do it was made... but they could do it manually... So again, I have no idea.
      7. Farthest off the wall, it opens a larger worm hole for large things like ships and what not to travel through and opens one of the same magnitude on the other end. Instant teleportation of sorts, but the power needed would be absurd since it has to sustain a worm hole without a gate. I don't even support this one...
      8. Alternate path for a worm hole to take to avoid situations where the worm hole would travel through a sun and cause destruction like in that SG1 episode. Or may act as an override to a world that has been locked out by the DHD like the blackhole planet.
      9. Uhhhh.... fine to a farther galaxy...
      10. To another gate on the same planet!!

Yay! I'm done.
      ~Fin

Comment

I like the idea that the 9th chevron has to do with gating to another gate on the same planet.

Comment

Yup, IMO it's the best sounding reason. I don't think TPTB have a reason for it atm, so it could just as easily be anything. I like the idea, how would it work do you think? It would just be another chevron, and I remember Carter saying something about each chevron adding a new distance calculation co-ordinate. If so, that would mean a 9 chevron gate would be in some whole new wacky place, that needed the gate to discern between something bigger than galaxies...

Comment

So... Many... 9th Chevron... Topics... I think... We... Should... Merge... Them...

The problem is that as soon as one of the 9th chevron topics (there are more than 10 now) falls off the one of the forums front pages, someone starts a new one, with all the bad 'theories' having to be refuted again and again.

Admins, or mods:

Please, make one official 9th chevron topic.
            Please, make the topic sticky on this forum (science and tech).

Thank you.
            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I sure hope the 9th Chevron causes the gate to transport itself into the sun and then cause a supernova. Poor SGC when they dial a 9-chevron adress. Atleast they'd have an mindblowing ending for the final episode

Comment

Maybe there were gates with a nine cheveron address, but the Ancients destoyed them. Like they found out that something goes wrong when you dial a nine chveron address or there were in another galaxy with an even stronger enemy than the Wraith and decided that no one should go there.

Comment

there are two possibilities, the ancients could have easily destroyed and replaced them but, that seems to easy, but we know that the ancients always did things big, they were the ancients, they could have planned for decades what they were going to do with the gates, and not build them until they were completly satisifed, if they were completly satisifed then there would be no need to change them.

Comment

Working...
                  X