Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its official!!! Ronon Dex will be played by...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teal'c
    Then how come they won't accept my film when I submit it?
    Because even IMDB isn't stupid enough to believe you.

And there could be a difference between adding entries to an actor's filmography and creating an entirely new category/product.
    Last edited by ShadowMaat; 18 February 2005, 07:09 AM. Reason: stupid typo

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      And there could be a difference between adding entries to an actor's fimography and creating an entirely new category/product.

I'd have thought they wouldn't really care about an actors profile that much, but an actual movie .. that's a completely different story. Sorry Teal'c - not this time.
      __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Butterfly-Dreamer
        According to many sources, the new season 2 regular character of Ronon Dex will be played by Jason Momoa.

Here is a link to his imdb listing.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0597388/

I think he certainly looks the part.

OMG, they're replacing MY AIDEN with THAT?!?! He was on BAYWATCH for heaven's sake! That doesn't exactly scream "Diverse Actor"! Oh, jesus I think I'm gonna throw up....
        Officially Certified Obsessive Fangirl

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Damion Starr
          OMG, they're replacing MY AIDEN with THAT?!?! He was on BAYWATCH for heaven's sake! That doesn't exactly scream "Diverse Actor"! Oh, jesus I think I'm gonna throw up....
          Yeah, and RDA started off on General Hospital. He seems to have recovered well.

I'm not too keen on a Baywatch washashore getting added to the cast, but I'm not THAT dramatically against it. But I still don't think he should be a regular character, regardless of who's playing him. TPTB have enough on their plate as it is. If they can't handle what they've got, they shouldn't add another element into the mix.

Comment

I'm not familiar with the fellow but I would think that a criteria for hiring should be acting ability and I'm unsure whether anyone from Baywatch fulfils that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
              I'm not familiar with the fellow but I would think that a criteria for hiring should be acting ability and I'm unsure whether anyone from Baywatch fulfils that point.
              Can't wait until Pamela joins the cast

Comment

ok, i must admit i kinda hope this isn't true... and not just because of baywatch or whatever else.... but well if it is, i guess i could get over it....

and he does look like a cross between rainbow and the guy who played tyr on andromeda.... why is it that the token warrior guys are almost never white???

Comment

Originally posted by emily_reich
                  and he does look like a cross between rainbow and the guy who played tyr on andromeda.... why is it that the token warrior guys are almost never white???
                  It's one of these overused SF clichés...
                  Life is short. Eat dessert first.

Comment

Originally posted by emily_reich
                    why is it that the token warrior guys are almost never white???
                    [sarcasm]Well, obviously the only thing non-whites are any good for is fighting. Blacks in particular are nothing but a bunch of savages, so they make the perfect "warriors". [/sarcasm]

Sorry, but sometimes I really wonder just how far we've come when cliches like that are still so prevalent in the genre. It's a bit depressing.

There are ways to make white people look "exotic" too, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      Sorry, but sometimes I really wonder just how far we've come when cliches like that are still so prevalent in the genre. It's a bit depressing.

There are ways to make white people look "exotic" too, you know.
                      Exotic? Hmmmm...isn't that what they tried to do with Bo Derek in "10"? For some reason folks have a hard time believing that someone who looks like their next-door neighbor could come from another planet/culture/something. Star Trek always had to do some little facial distinctive thing - Bejorian noses, Phlox's eyes, etc. to make someone believable as exotic. Why can't a normal looking person be exotic? Or a warrior?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom
                        Exotic? Hmmmm...isn't that what they tried to do with Bo Derek in "10"? For some reason folks have a hard time believing that someone who looks like their next-door neighbor could come from another planet/culture/something. Star Trek always had to do some little facial distinctive thing - Bejorian noses, Phlox's eyes, etc. to make someone believable as exotic. Why can't a normal looking person be exotic? Or a warrior?
                        I think someone who looks different from your next-door neighbor is always going to seem more "different" or "exotic". And these days you really have to look different to seem "alien". A few tatoos doesn't cut it, since half the people at the mall seem to have them.

Gary Jones, as cute and funny and talented as he is, would never be believable as a warrior from another planet to today's audience. Although it would be darn amusing. On the other hand you're probably not going to see a dread-locked Keith Hamilton Cobb playing a lawyer anytime soon. (Although I understand he cut his hair and shaved so he could play the part of a businessman on Y&R.)

I do think it's interesting when they go against type. I remember that old Star Trek episode where they ran into the menacing floating head in space. Ended up that was all a projection of the real alien - a very childlike figure with a soft voice who smiled a lot. Of course Gene Roddenberry liked to send a message with his shows.

Unfortunately, in today's scifi shows, they tend to make the alien warriors exotic and sexy with abs of steel. And apparently they don't have good tailors because their clothes are usually skimpy.
                        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I dunno. I think it's mostly conceit that leads to the assumption that white skin isn't exotic. And why not go in the extreme with that and make someone albino? Fishbelly pale skin, maybe with the veins showing through, pale white hair, black or red scleral lenses on the eyes (covering the whole eye).

One or two little tattoos might not be very interesting, but a full-body (or visible parts of the body) tat done in a bright color with lots of swirls and spots could be interesting, too. Didn't Celtic warriors do that for "protection"? Or someone did, I'm pretty sure.

There are ways around the stereotype, but modern scifi doesn't seem to bother trying very often.

Comment

Just go with David Hasselhoff. He meets the Baywatch criteria (the only criteria seemingly required by tptb), is older and would hope wiser thus more believable, and can be exotic if you slap an eye patch on him. At least there would be a better than 95% chance that his shirt will remain in tact and in place. Plus he probably needs the work and will work for cheap unless those European album sales are his cash cow.

Okay. Seriously. I’ll give this new character and actor a chance, but I really don’t see the point in adding another character while demoting another. They need to write for the ones they already have. Save this guy for later when you need something new in the story. Though maybe the demotion for Ford will be to his benefit. As reoccurring characters, Dr. Beckett and Dr. Zelenka have made more of an impact when they are on screen than Ford has as a regular.

Remember it’s all in the eye patch.

Last edited by LoneStar1836; 24 February 2005, 07:25 PM. Reason: I'm joking about DH but not the eye patch, maybe ;)
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

Maybe a tad bit longer hair. Not dreadlocks. Long and unkept, like he's been running for so long he desn't really care what he looks like.

Oh and a few scars, like one extending from the eye patch.

Rough and rugged.
                              *Insert something really cool here*

Comment

Scar up that "perfect" chest of his. Show evidence that a Wraith has tried- and failed- to feed on him.

Comment

Working...
                                X