This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hatcheter
    And lastly, why does everybody beat on "TPTB" so much, throwing out that acronym like you would "commies"? They're the writers and directors and producers whose lives are far more wrapped up in this show than the fans' lives could ever be. (Or should ever be, at least. It would be pathetic if a fan was more wrapped up in a show than the people who made it were.) Even if they screw up, they really do have the best intentions.
    Yes, I think they want to produce a successful show that gets good ratings and makes money for all concerned. If they can be proud of their creative endeavours at the same time that's a plus. No, I don't always think they make the right decisions. That doesn't bother me - it's sometimes hard to see how things will come together and they have a lot of issues to consider.

I'm always impressed when the producers can admit they made a mistake - "hey, that storyline just didn't work the way we wanted". Sometimes you hear a few comments on the DVD's (Martin Wood, etc.) like that and I always appreciate those. But rarely from the "big guys". The producer of Alias has talked about how that show went off course last season and the mistakes that were made. How he hopes to bring it back up to snuff this season. I like his honesty and after swearing I wasn't going to watch Alias anymore after last year's dismal season, I'm going to give it a shot.

We're a little instantaneous, wacky, obsessive focus group for them. I wouldn't be shocked if these latest "names" were leaked just to see what the reaction was. I'm content to wait and see what they come up with. Just like I was with Atlantis. If I don't like it I'll quit watching.

I just thing these are some of the biggest changes that SG-1 has had in some time - we may actually have more unfamiliar faces than familiar faces in the first few episodes of S9. I think it's natural that people are going to have strong opinions and be a little leery of the changes.

ETA: I do think TPTB get unfairly criticized at times. It's not like they have unlimited resources and choices and I know compromises have to be made. "TPTB" consists of more than BW and RCC and company. You have to add in the MGM execs and the Scifi execs. Those people may all have different opinions about casting choices.

There used to be a phrase "Trust TPTB" that was often thrown out over the last couple of years. You don't see it much anymore. Don't know if that means the fans are less trusting or not. I know I trust the writing talent of Brad Wright. And I hope that the rest of TPTB still love the show as much as they used to and that they are excited about the changes and anxious to get back to writing for the show. I guess I'm just not sure anymore.
    Last edited by keshou; 03 January 2005, 08:58 AM.
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
      Stacy Keach is married to Jane Seymore, who played Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman on the show of the same name.
      No that's James Keach, brother of Stacy Keach, who's married to Jane Seymour. James Keach often directed episodes of Dr. Quinn.

The only personal thing I remember about Stacy Keach is that he was arrested for possession of cocaine in the London airport back in his "Mike Hammer" days. Spent some time in prison. It was quite the scandal at the time. As far as I know he kicked his drug habit and has been a model citizen since then.
      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
        I think Keach would be good as the new general. Hopefully, he'll bring some new humour into it and let Jack go back to beating the blue blood outta the Goa'uld and anyone else ... heh, does that sound stupid.
        I totally agree with you. I think Stacy Keach could bring
        a whole new dimension of fun to the show. Very interesting,
        can't wait to find out who they choose -Louis Gossett is an
        interesting choice as well.

Comment

OK I just realized the best commander for SG-1. since he now lives in Canada since his son is playing hockey.

ready .....

Kurt Russell.
          The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
            No that's James Keach, brother of Stacy Keach, who's married to Jane Seymour. James Keach often directed episodes of Dr. Quinn.
            Thanks for the correction Kes. I always get the brothers mixed up.

Comment

To BackStageJim:

so more or less what I suggested back on page 3?
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                what next?

A very special episode of stargate where ryac confronts the perils of the dating scene????
                Didn't that special episode already air during the first half of the season?

Later,
                Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by GateTraveler
                  Why is everyone assuming that Keach or Gossett will cost a lot of dough? I mean while their names are known, what has either of them done in the past 10 years? Movies of the week? I believe both tried their luck at network TV and failed. No disrespect to either gentleman but while both are very good actors, I don't think they are "A list" anymore. I believe Gossett would be very good in the role and I'm more than willing to give either the benefit of the doubt.
                  Both Stacy Keach and Louis Gossett Jr. have lengthy acting resumes. I first saw Keach on Caribe (bet no one else remembers that) and Gossett has a lengthy resume (Enemy Mine, with Dennis Quaid, for one). Neither are "A" list actors if you go by who "A" list actors are -the ones who are popular and overpaid (Ray Romano, Brad Pitt, etc.) However, Keach is now more of a character actor (which isn't as glamorous, but is much steadier work). Most leading men never go to character acting, they just sorta vanish.

What I have noticed in the last season is that they're getting in more US-based actors - before it was mostly Canadian actors. Now we've got Charles Shaugnessey, Robert Picardo, etc. Bringing in US actors who have already done their own shows can bring in new audience, plus they're new faces. I'm sure they'll have more Trek actors on in next season; they all seem to guest star on sci-fi shows these days (the horrors of typecasting).

So far they seem to have avoided 'stuntcasting' - bringing in a name of some sort and then doing an ad campaign.

But it really doesn't matter who you have an actor (for the most part). If the writing is subpar, then nobody can save cheesy dialogue.

Comment

Who was it who made the joke about Canadian shows recycling the same five actors?

Of course, if Stargate decided to stick solely to Canadian actors, that could lead to more fascinating fic about Daniel's father, and other mysterious clones in the Stargate universe...

Later,
                    Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by graculus
                      Who was it who made the joke about Canadian shows recycling the same five actors?

Of course, if Stargate decided to stick solely to Canadian actors, that could lead to more fascinating fic about Daniel's father, and other mysterious clones in the Stargate universe...

Later,
                      Graculus
                      yeah, Narim

Comment

Gossett would be awesome as the new general..and I don't think he'd be that expensive..not even close to how much they pay for RDA. Gossett hasn't been in anything for a while..nothing big.
                        It feels good to be alive.
                        Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

From what I understand, some of the bigger paying actors/actress want to have a part on SG-1. For example: I had read that Mr. Ronny Cox, who can pick what he wants to be in, likes playing Sen. Kinsey and would keep playing him.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                            From what I understand, some of the bigger paying actors/actress want to have a part on SG-1. For example: I had read that Mr. Ronny Cox, who can pick what he wants to be in, likes playing Sen. Kinsey and would keep playing him.
                            Yeah I read in a interview he gave can’t remember where but it was interesting I think the environment and the people at stargate who very friendly and welcoming and that what makes actors wanting to star in stargate.
                            "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Sadly, Gosset has had a hard time getting decent work of late, with the roles he used to land going to Morgan Freeman and Samuel T. Jackson. Consider some of his later films: Iron Eagle 3 was so bad I was embarassed for the poor guy even though I only watched five minutes of the show.

Stacy Keach hasn't had that great an acting career either. He was an up and comer with his Mike Hammer role, but his drug bust for marijuana possession and subsequent jail time really stopped him cold. He's done a few lesser roles since, and a LOT of narration, but he's no longer able to command the great roles either.

Both of these guys are names that people will recognize, guys who have successfully played military commanders and authority figures before, guys who can pull off a high testosterone/father figure touch that is somewhat akin to Don S. Davis's gravelly General Hammond, and guys who can be bought on the cheap.

Sure, if they can get Don S. Davis for the same money.. BY ALL MEANS BRING BACK GEORGE HAMMOND. As is watching Season 9 sounds more and more like it will be tuning into a completely different show.. and that's too much of a difference.

If they can't get D. Davis back, then either of these choices would be fine. Both of them have aged enough that they won't be typecast as "Mike Hammer" or some other prior role, and both of them would do an admirable job, I am sure.

Comment

Louis Gosset; Yes. Stacey Keach; eh..maybe.

They could also use Robert Foxworth (Bab 5, DS9). He always plays a good, taciturn General or Admiral, etc <CORRECTION> oooo wait...just realized
                                much later that he was the "President" of that planet in SG-1 Episode 620 "Memento". And he is looking a bit more mature than an Active Duty General. Features are "softer". Nevermind on that one.

I also wonder how Andreas Katsulas would do?

They could also bring back Gen West (Leon Rippy). Though it may be far enough in that character's career; that he would concievably be retired by now. He may be retired as the story goes. But he played the character well. A total hard-ass. Favorite quote: "Any time..."

I liked the evolution of Gen Hammond's character...it was interesting...but one should not be chummy with flag officers. I was more comfortable with the earlier Hammond.

Gen Vidrine was a good character, but putting him in SG-C would be a demotion as he was chairman of the Joint Chiefs last we saw him. Or was that in Daniel's fantasy in "Absolute Power"? He was at least Air Force Chief of Staff if I remember correctly.
                                Last edited by Hohenzollern; 06 January 2005, 06:30 PM.
                                "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

Working...
                                X