This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David85
    How many times do people have to say this...

A quantum mirror person is not the same as the one we know. The one we know are still died, just like Janet will still be dead if they show an AU one.
    You can say it as many times as you like. The character's name was still Kowalski, played by the same actor... etc. For all effective intents and purposes, the same guy... and even written as such in the given plot.

Should they re-introduce any other characters, such as Janet, she would be called Janet, portrayed by the same actress, behave in much the same fashion, and so on. For all intents and purposes, Janet.

If you want to have a fanwank snit-fit over the differences of some sort of fictional pseudosciences technojabber, be my guest. The net effect is "bringing a character back." But please, ignore the entire purpose of the plot device... and lecture me some more.

Treat it not as a story, but treat it as some sort of objective reality. Treat it not as a mechanism to return an actor to a show, but some cosmic means of literally bringing an alternate version of the same person to another reality. I need the laugh.

Edited to add:

And as the quantum mirror was ordered destroyed by Hammond when it last appeared, I suppose that plot device is laid to rest anyway.

Characters come back from the dead far too often. Sometimes HUGE efforts are involved (Star Trek III: The Search for Spock) and it doesn't seem to be quite so cheap. On the other hand, a "temporal shower scene" (cleverness borrowed ... but I can't recall from where) that would cheapen the very concept of a character dying to the point of making it no longer dramatic.

If they're going to do it... better it be something dramatic.
    Last edited by Darth Buddha; 29 December 2004, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Even if it was an AU Janet, her name might not be Janet. She might not be a doctor, she might not be in the airforce, there might not even be one. And frankly she could be played by a different person. What if the mom and dad had a son somehow instead of a daughter and named it Jason.

They are not the same person, the Janet we all love is dead.
      Last edited by David; 29 December 2004, 07:20 PM. Reason: Unnecessary language
      It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

I don't think that they will bring back Janet by using Mobius time line changes. Mobius S8
        Spoiler:
        I think that the orignal SG1 will screw things up in ancient Egypt and the alternate time line SG1 (probably Daniel) will discover something (a puddle jumper with intact logs?) to indicate that somethings not right. They go back and fix it and the original SG1 is back... So no Janet.

S9 first five eps with CB/Daniel story line and BB backstory in flashbacks would be sufficient story to cover AT's absence. In the BB backstory flashbacks, he could have been at the SGC and met with Janet... Physical for flight ops of the X-302? Anyone training in X-302's would probably need to go off world to do it. Keep them off world so as not to cause any suspicions among the unsuspecting humans? That would be plenty to cover AT for five eps. They could film short scenes at a later date with her to cut into the eps if necessary.

Okay, I'm rambling.... So shoot me. Not you, Shadow... You've already shot me once...

Comment

Oooh, shippy thought. What if Ben Browder's character dated Janet?

Edited to add: so many possibilities for angsty memories, making use of Teryl Rothery...

Later,
          Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by graculus
            Oooh, shippy thought. What if Ben Browder's character dated Janet?

Edited to add: so many possibilities for angsty memories, making use of Teryl Rothery...

Later,
            Graculus
            Oooh, horrible thought!! BB's character is the "this man's Air Force, honey buns" ex-hubs! LOL! ROTFLMAO!! Oh, no, that would be to horrible for words!!

Comment

I do tremble in fear of the Soapgate hue and cry, but it would give Janet back as a character while keeping her dead. On the downside - any shippy memories devoted to her would subtract from possible other character ship. ::cough:: Daniel/Vala ::cough::

Later,
              Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                Even if it was an AU Janet, her name might not be Janet. She might not be a doctor, she might not be in the airforce, there might not even be one. And frankly she could be played by a different person. What if the mom and dad had a son somehow instead of a daughter and named it Jason.
                Hmm... making the "gee, nifty" effect of the parallel universe less and less. Even in Trek's mirror universe (one of the earlier uses of this plot device) evil Kirk was still recognizably Kirk.

They are not the same person, the Janet we all love is dead.
                Again with the reality complex. Nice to have in the living breathing world, but odd in a consumer of fiction.

As it is a scifi story, people are dead only so long as the writers and producers don't develop an overwhelming need to bring them back. Sometimes the exit to "death" is intentionally iffy (Daniel's Ascension being a classic example) to make the process easier if it becomes necessary, but it is laughable that I must point out the shower scene in Dallas to make it clear that in fiction... fictional things happen, like reversals of death of characters.

Comment

Just keep in mind the source of this information.

These people have argued that Asgard is spelled Asguard, Azguard and various other stupid ways

Comment

Well, I've actually published an article on Norse mythology, and Asgard is the only spelling for the location I've ever seen.

I've often wondered, though, why there isn't MORE of the Norse mythos embedded in the show. The people of Asgard should be called the Aesir and the Vanir (Thor, Odin, etc. being Asgard while Freya and Freyr being the Vanir... and Loki being a Jotun), they should be referring to earth as Midgard, and so on.

Comment

If it's an AU Janet or an Alternate timeline Janet - no probs
                      If it's ours...Hope they've got some good writers!
                      sigpic
                      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                        If it's an AU Janet or an Alternate timeline Janet - no probs
                        If it's ours...Hope they've got some good writers!
                        I thought that they had the Quantum Mirror destroyed after POV.

Wouldn't that sort of destroy the idea of an AU Janet?

KK

Comment

There could be more than one Quantum Mirror...

Later,
                          Graculus

Comment

The Quantum Mirror would just be too easy of a way to get her back though.... it would be much more interesting if something medical happened in which the SGC *needed* Janet to solve this major problem (say something that she had been working on before her death and that she would be able to solve), and they must work to find a way to get her back (maybe her body was frozen after she died, and they need a sarcoficious (sp?)) . If she's going to come back as a recurring, then make it a big deal, and have a pretty fancy plot to do such.

But I'll say it right now, I kinda of doubt she would return for anything more than a one-time guest spot just from this one rumor.

Comment

Ah well... probably WON'T have more Teryl Rothery... which is too bad. I think she's the most attractive female to grace the Stargate stage by far. Very easy on the eyes, easy on the ears, and a character you could really feel comfortable bringing home to meet mom.

Comment

I read an excellent fanfiction story about an alternate Janet coming through the quantum mirror, it was really good as the characters had get to know this Janet, who was quite different as she was a soldier not a doctor, while still coming to terms with their grief. Also it was interesting how the 'new' Janet tried to fit in with the 'ghost' of the original Janet still being very much in everyone's thoughts.
                                It would make for quite an interesting story if some of these ideas were explored!!
                                sigpic

Thanks to Marcy for the banner

Comment

Working...
                                X