This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caladria View Post
    Really? We're expressing surprise that RTD expressed surprise that Robert Carlyle ...

...snipped...

David Tennant (Harry Potter. Harry Potter, for god's sake. The most successful franchise in the world, at the minute)
    Great post! Totally agree....except:

You can't really count BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 or 3, More4 or E4, though; they might provide original programming, but they are just the non-terrestrial/analogue channels of the three major giants of terrestrial tv - the BBC, ITV and Channel 4; things that do well on BBC3, for example, often get given a reshowing, with more advertising, on BBC1 (Casanova, Little Britain).
    It's a bit of a grey area, because as smurf said, this would make a lot of US 'channels' the same in regards to their parent being one of the major networks (i.e. Scifi is part of the NBC/Universal). Technically there are 4 major networks in the UK; BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and BSkyB. The terrestrial channel FIVE is supported by BSkyB which also does some free to air channels on top of its pay-perview stuff.

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    You're not seriously comparing Dr Who to shows like Lost, 24 and Heroes are you? In terms of world wide appeal they're not even in the same league.
    Heroes gets...or rather got about 10 million viewers at its height in the US. Dr Who got 13.4 in the UK (or higher, that was last season) and adverages 10 million in a country with a population of 60 million...thats 1 in 6. It's not currently on a US network channel which is a shame, so you cant truely judge its 'success' as IMO The Scifi Channel isn't the appropriate channel for the show (because its a family show). A TV series doesn't have to originate in the US to have 'world wide' appeal. How do you think Dr Who has survived for 35+ years? Name me a US TV show, thats been broadcast worldwide and STILL being made, after nearly 4 decades?

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
      he's said things like this before ..he dissed bsg before during a audio commentary

he;'s just a out spoken person from what i've gathered seeing him on tv and dvds
      He dissed BSG! I was hesistant to post here but Pharaoh Atem your post has done otherwise. Is RTD out of his mind? DW is a good show (well was, IMO some of the "Martha" and "Donna" episodes were very childish and just not up to the quality of the "Rose" episodes, and even of the old era, keeping in mind which year they were made ) Even still, IMO it isn't as good as Stargate , well at least now it isn't. IT definetly isn't as good as BSG though - IMO one of the best shows on TV - an all rounder for CGI, writing and acting. So RTD, take a good look at your show befor you start shunning others!

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
        I remember the BBC spent the entire first season denying the rumour that Eccleston wasn't intending to play the role long term, when they'd known from the point he signed the contract.
        Niotpicky and offtopic-y, but once CE's departure has leaked (after the transmission of the first episode), the BBC confirmed... they also mention Tennant in the same press release, that's why he was everyone's favourite.
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
          Niotpicky and offtopic-y, but once CE's departure has leaked (after the transmission of the first episode), the BBC confirmed... they also mention Tennant in the same press release, that's why he was everyone's favourite.
          I didn't know that. I got my info from someone in a newspaper bemoaning that the BBC shouldn't have been stringing people along.
          Never trust journalists.
          <mod snip>
          "Ex-Dr. Who Showrunner expresses surprise at casting, displays weird British humor"
          Last edited by TameFarrar; 27 December 2008, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
            http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/1...snt_care.shtml
            ""Stargate, can you believe it?" Davies said. "That was a surprise. Has his agent watched it?""

Argh, I can't believe how big headed this quote is. It's basically saying "my show is better than Stargate, therefore he should come to mine".
            No. It says "That isn't a very good show, why would a quality actor like him join it" (and if you check the net there are thousands who have already expressed the same sentiment, even here) Davies has left Dr. Who, so its not a question of joining "his show".

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
            This is one reason why Stargate is so much better than Doctor Who. It does what DW is trying to do successfully, strike a believable balance between humour and seriousness.
            Actually it doesn't. Its just because you are in love with it that you are blind to the faults

Comment

Originally posted by Fabiano View Post
              This insignificant Davies had a chance to stay quiet, but he resolve shoot in his feet, good look to him....
              Except that most actors in the UK wants to work with him, and his shows has more viewers than Atlantis - but apart from that, yes quite insignificant.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDuh View Post
                Except that most actors in the UK wants to work with him, and his shows has more viewers than Atlantis - but apart from that, yes quite insignificant.
                No kidding! He is one of the biggest producers in the BBC, which is one of the biggest Broadcasters in the WORLD. Not just the UK with its mirad of TV & Radio channels there's also the World Service and BBC American, news outlets all over the world and much more.

Yeah, thats 'insignifcant'...not.

Don't be so disrespectful, Davies was JOKING!!!! In the same vein as Mallozzi's style of humour (which some people love, and others always take the wrong way), it seems to be a producer thing...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDuh View Post
                  Actually it doesn't. Its just because you are in love with it that you are blind to the faults
                  The river tells no lies, though standing on the shore the dishonest man still hears them.
                  Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Frankly i was shocked RC joined Stargate. He is a movie actor now mostly and it does seem odd for him to join a relatively small cable channel sci-fi show.

Stargate is a great show but its not a big deal in the way Star Trek was at its peak in the late 80s and early 90s or the way Dr Who is now in the UK. It IS a strange decision to make. I can only assume that it will mean SG:U will be much more edgy and adult and less safe, they way SG1 was at times, but Atlantis never was.

Comment

Who can blame him? I was shocked myself

No, honestly, there are so many diffences between DW and Stargate, that its not surprising that a guy doing the one thing isn't really fond of the other one.
                      The cake is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
                        Who can blame him? I was shocked myself

No, honestly, there are so many diffences between DW and Stargate, that its not surprising that a guy doing the one thing isn't really fond of the other one.
                        the thing is that for a television producer to actively go out and say his program is better than someone elses is dispicable, arrogant and big headed. DW is more popular and i would have expected RC to go with that instead of SGU but still the fact that he the nerve to say hes better than someone else is pathetic.

also i just watched the DW christmas special and i dont know how he can diss stargate after writing that piece of bull. DW is a prime example of writing where things just happen they aren't explained and they rip off just about every other franchise ever (this week it was transformers... no seriously it was THAT bad)

key members of parliament, key. The minds behind every military, diplomatic and covert operation in the galaxy and you put them in a room with a psychic.

sigpic

thanks to stef for making this banner

Comment

I still feel that it was just RTD being flippant and silly. He often is, and I doubt he meant anything by it. Listen to any of the episode commentaries he does and they're filled with silliness.

Comment

Personally I find it amusing, he's just another product of the sensationalist attention seeking UK media, and those people live in their own universe away from real reality, where the only thing that matters is popularity contests, winning awards from people who think their opinions are somehow more valid than the average person being a "star" and being ass kissed for writing any old contrived rubbish cos it has guest-stars and pop-culture references only people of said pop-culture will get or care about. I feel sorry for him more than anything. Its just another reminder of why I dont own a Television. The idiots lantern, quite right.
                            Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                            Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Originally posted by TJuk View Post
                              Heroes gets...or rather got about 10 million viewers at its height in the US. Dr Who got 13.4 in the UK (or higher, that was last season) and adverages 10 million in a country with a population of 60 million...thats 1 in 6. It's not currently on a US network channel which is a shame, so you cant truely judge its 'success' as IMO The Scifi Channel isn't the appropriate channel for the show (because its a family show).
                              Yes, but look at what Heroes has to compete with compared to Dr Who. It's a cult classic that's been remade, and advertised to death and aired prime time on the biggest channel in the country, it has no competition at all. If it can't even beat the best shows on the Sci Fi channel then it doesn't stand a chance against the biggest US shows like Lost, Heroes etc etc.

A TV series doesn't have to originate in the US to have 'world wide' appeal. How do you think Dr Who has survived for 35+ years? Name me a US TV show, thats been broadcast worldwide and STILL being made, after nearly 4 decades?
                              Dr Who hasn't been made for nearly 4 decades though has it? And even if it had, what has that got to do with anything? It still can't compete with the top US shows, it lacks quality in all areas, I'm surprised anyone would think it could.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
                                Ok, who do you consider to be major British film and TV stars?
                                Robert Carlyle

Comment

Working...
                                X