This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
    I'd say it was changed for accuracy. RTD didn't diss Stargate. Dissing Stargate would have been "has his agent seen teh show? it's such a stupid show, compelte and utter crap, I can't see why anyone would watch that!"

He didn't say that. He jsut snarked about it.
    I am not sure I would even call it a snark though. To say it was snarky is to imply it was wrong or a bad remark.

I happen to think he was correct. Although maybe he was too blunt in his humour for some.

I think many out there in non-Stargate fandom (or rabid fandom) are also wondering what is up with RC signing onto Stargate.

I am still at a loss myself to explain why such a talented actor (and more to the point, one who could get better work elsewhere) would do this.

It is actually rather shocking! LOL

Comment

I can imagine the sort of email he got the day ofter that news was out of what he said.

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
        I can imagine the sort of email he got the day ofter that news was out of what he said.
        I can imagine the hilarious retorts he would email back! LOL

Comment

Yea, those could be funny to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
            He doesn't bother with fan email. I had posted a link here to an article in which he commented on it, but it seems to have vanished. Oh wait, I reposted under the WHO news so you can find it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
              http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/1...snt_care.shtml

Argh, I can't believe how big headed this quote is. It's basically saying "my show is better than Stargate, therefore he should come to mine".

As one of the few people who thinks New Doctor Who is a pile of crap, I'm gonna be outnumbered here in my hatred of it.
              Copied and pasted from a rant I had when I sat through an episode thinking they'd be a new Doctor;
              It's the biggest loads of BS on TV. How can you take anything at all seriously? I know it's sci-fi but it's not remotely believable at all. A device that can destroy everything ever? All daleks can be controlled by one computer? How many times did they bring back the daleks after they "defeated them once and for all".
              This is a valid point. I accept this criticism, being based on observation and reason.
              Some people say it's not meant to be taken seriously, but they're moments when you're clearly supposed to. Emotional scenes and the like. It's so OTT and ridiculous that when these scenes come up they just feel out of place.
              This is one reason why Stargate is so much better than Doctor Who. It does what DW is trying to do successfully, strike a believable balance between humour and seriousness.
              You actually said that with a straight face. I admire your control.
              May I point out that Doctor Who has been running in some form or another for MORE THAN THIRTY YEARS?
              Kind of deflates that whole "SG-1: longest running sci-fi TV show" claim.

So far the only people I've meant in real life who like it are girls who like it because "David Tennant is so hot", my dad who's probably watching it for nostalgia purposes, and my little sister's 6 year old friend.
              Huh. Imagine that. The only people I've met (and I meant to spell it that way) in real life who even KNOW that there was a Stargate TV show (let alone, more than one) usually spend most of their pay checks on the latest most expensive video game.
              Maybe we BOTH need to get out more?

If anyones says "If you don't like Doctor Who, why do you watch it?" - I've watched less than 10 episodes, and NEARLY each time I've had nothing but bad things to say.
              Me, too - but for Stargate: Atlantis.
              Isn't it ironic?
              Don't ya think??

The only praise I have for the show is Blink, and Tennant's acting. Moffat wrote Blink, and I understand he's taking over the show in '10, so I may give it another go then.
              Don't go to any great lengths. Maybe there will be a 4th (or 5th) Stargate TV show by then.

Comment

Originally posted by StarCapnRa View Post
                May I point out that Doctor Who has been running in some form or another for MORE THAN THIRTY YEARS?
                Kind of beside the point entirely, isn't it? And there's a big difference between surviving on UK TV and surviving on US TV. Stargate isn't even in the upper echelons of shows in terms of production quality in the US yet is still leaps and bounds ahead of Dr Who. It's not so much that Dr Who is brilliant scifi, it's just that in the UK it's pretty much all we've got. How depressing...

Comment

This is a valid point. I accept this criticism, being based on observation and reason.

Huh. Imagine that. The only people I've met (and I meant to spell it that way) in real life who even KNOW that there was a Stargate TV show (let alone, more than one) usually spend most of their pay checks on the latest most expensive video game.

Isn't it ironic?
                  Don't ya think??

Don't go to any great lengths. Maybe there will be a 4th (or 5th) Stargate TV show by then.
                  You had me.....at the font!!!!

Comment

Thank You
                    At no point in my post did I make reference to length of the series, as It's not really relevant.
                    If you are implying that SGA fans are geeks, then you'd be correct. However there's nothing wrong with this. DW fans are too.
                    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
                    Isn't it ironic?
                    Don't ya think??
                    [/quote]
                    Why are you on a Stargate forum if you don't like it? First line of the vision statement says "GateWorld exists as a place for fans all over the world to enhance their enjoyment of the Stargate franchise by sharing it with others." Or are you a fan of SG1/movie/Infinity?
                    Why would more Stargate series mean I can't watch another program?

Also when I wrote my post I had SG1 in mind, not Atlantis.
                    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

If you are implying that SGA fans are geeks, then you'd be correct. However there's nothing wrong with this. DW fans are too.
                      Actually, over here (in the UK) a lot of fans aren't geeks. I mean, 6.9 million people sat and watched a programme devoted to the revealing of a casting decision last week. As optimistic as I am, I don't think there are 7 million geeks in the country. Local schools offer Doctor Who toys as rewards for 100% attendance (well, one of my local schools does).

Why are you on a Stargate forum if you don't like it? First line of the vision statement says "GateWorld exists as a place for fans all over the world to enhance their enjoyment of the Stargate franchise by sharing it with others." Or are you a fan of SG1/movie/Infinity?
                      *raises hand* It's perfectly possible to be a fan of Stargate and not like Atlantis that much (it's okay, it's just not my thing.)

(Quoting jenks)
                      Kind of beside the point entirely, isn't it? And there's a big difference between surviving on UK TV and surviving on US TV. Stargate isn't even in the upper echelons of shows in terms of production quality in the US yet is still leaps and bounds ahead of Dr Who. It's not so much that Dr Who is brilliant scifi, it's just that in the UK it's pretty much all we've got. How depressing...
                      Doctor Who certainly has a smaller budget, sure; but it does have it's moments (it exploded Vesuvius; it does good with the budget it has). But, essentially, it's a different type of show and comparing the two in that way is pointless. Doctor Who never was designed for explosions and space shots of ships; Stargate - especially Atlantis - is. Doctor Who has moments of looking more childish, sure, but that's more to do with the fact that it's designed to appeal to kids and parents and grannies. Stargate is designed for the 13 - 25 year old male and therefore has to look "cooler".

(As an overall thing, for the record, I'd label them about level at their respective bests - "Window of Opportunity", "Heroes" etc are a match for "Girl in the Fireplace" and "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances". So I'm in no way trying to be disrepectful to Stargate. It's just... they're different shows. Who has better story and Stargate has better kaboom on an average week.)
                      sigpic
                      Stuart: “You’ve done nothing, Vince. You go to work, you go for a drink. You sit at home and watch cheap science fiction. Small and tiny world. What is there…that’s so impressive about that? What is there to love?”
                      Vince: “Yeah.”
                      Stuart: “…It was good enough for me.”

Comment

How can DW be considered to have a better story though, does it even have one? Companions are developed and then disposed of, trying to milk as much 'drama' as possible, then rinse and repeat, that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          How can DW be considered to have a better story though, does it even have one? Companions are developed and then disposed of, trying to milk as much 'drama' as possible, then rinse and repeat, that's about it.
                          Which is why the episodes themselves are more worthy of note. Don't get me wrong, half of Doctor Who is utter rubbish (imo), but the other half, is exceptional. In particular Human Nature/Family of Blood - an incredible tale, worthy of being a movie tbh, that is truely driven by acting and good writing.

Let's also remember, when as the last time Stargate made newspaper headlines? Doctor Who does regularly... it's more mainstream, and that's good. Good for the producers anyway. It doesn't really mean it's better quality - just... mainstream sci fi, where as most other sci fi is best appreicated by fandoms.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I meant "story" as in "the story that happens within the forty five minutes of a programme", rather than "overall series arc".

But I consider Stargate at it's best when it does that. SG-1 goes out, has an adventure, comes home. Something like "Urgo" or "The Nox" or "Window of Opportunity". So a story like "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances" is what I like - a self contained story within one or two episodes (not more than that, with Who - I've seen the classic Whos with lots of parts to a serial - I never knew there were so many corridors to run down )

And every programme is subject to the whimsy of actors - it's the way the business goes (if you dislike change, just... never watch Spooks, 'kay?)
                            sigpic
                            Stuart: “You’ve done nothing, Vince. You go to work, you go for a drink. You sit at home and watch cheap science fiction. Small and tiny world. What is there…that’s so impressive about that? What is there to love?”
                            Vince: “Yeah.”
                            Stuart: “…It was good enough for me.”

Comment

... And yet, companions get a story and are well developed after 13 episodes, while, comparing, oh, I dunno, Teyla after 100 episods...
                              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Well Atlantis is plot driven, so character development is secondary, plus it has 5+ regular characters rather than 2, and Teyla hasn't even been in 100 episodes anyway. Not sure how any of this is relevant to the original point like, DW still has no story to speak of...

Comment

Working...
                                X