'Ark of Truth' official release announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ladyinred View Post
    I'm also outside US and I pre-ordered my copy of The Ark of Truth from Amazon.com because it's really cheaper. $25,47 including shipping to Europe.
    I'd do the same. But ..

isn't that DVD geographicaly confined by a region code and stuff?
    also, the DVD is in NTSC format, and your device perhaps is not.

Example of my case:
    - the DVD is NTSC, and region 1 (USA, Canada)
    - my device is PAL, and region 2!! (Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East, Greenland)

Damn! If only they released it with another regioncode soon, it'll solve itself.
    Originally posted by Ugly Pig View Post
    You shall buy. Even if you already downloaded it.
    Oki doki.

But still hoping that it is made available via bol.com or other for europeans accessible stores that accept preorders or reservations though. It makes great profit. Great profit means great profit for me, as more SG content is on its way to me, to wich i in turn great profit. *sigh* The circle of great.
    Last edited by Barryke; 26 December 2007, 06:05 PM. Reason: i blame xmas

Comment

Originally posted by Barryke View Post
      I'd do the same. But ..

isn't that DVD geographicaly confined by a region code and stuff?
      also, the DVD is in NTSC format, and your device perhaps is not.
      My previously Region 2 Philips DVD player is MULTIREGIONAL for about 2 years now and plays Region 1 DVDs beautifully, plus all European TV sets have NTSC playback. Go to videohelp.com to find a code for your player. Also you can buy multiregional DVD players everywhere, they're really cheap.

You can pre-order The Ark of Truth at Play.com - the release date for UK is April 14th, 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        Because that's the way it's been. For eons, the Canuck dollar was worth less than the US dollar.
        I would like to point out at this time the Canadian dollar hasn't been at 140% the American price since July 2002!

I'll be waiting for this to arrive at BestBuy, they have that thing where they match American prices.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by robitaille88 View Post
          I would like to point out at this time the Canadian dollar hasn't been at 140% the American price since July 2002!
          This is what bugs me. Retailers have been whining for months about how they can't just up and down their prices at wimp due to old inventories etc. Ok, I'll buy that. But how come they shift their prices UPWARDS on a month by month basis when the dollar is in a downward spiral instead of an upward one? I'll tell you, because they are ripping us off, that's why.

They are perfectly willing to raise prices every chance they get all the while blaming government policies and the like, but come time to lower prices, well, that's a different story. But putting all of that aside, are they really trying to tell me that they haven't been able to clear their SIX FREAKING YEAR OLD inventories? Then why are all the prices still set from 6 years ago? Why not 15 years ago when the dollar was 80 cents instead of 60? Or 8 years ago when it was at 75cents?

Funny how they just happened to set the prices at that 60cent to the US dollar mark from 6 years ago huh? Poor them, they haven't had enough time to change the signs yet! That's all it is!

Comment

Just a quick question in response to all the complaining going on in this thread: When was the last time any of you paid the full MSRP for a DVD? 'nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Karyyk View Post
              Just a quick question in response to all the complaining going on in this thread: When was the last time any of you paid the full MSRP for a DVD? 'nuff said.
              That's irrelevant. The real issue is the extreme price disparities propagated by these lying, cheating companies like MGM and Fox. And they WONDER why some people use... illegitimate means of obtaining their products. I laugh when they say "we charge what the market will bare in each country". Riggght. Charge the cheapest price in the richest country? That makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                That's irrelevant. The real issue is the extreme price disparities propagated by these lying, cheating companies like MGM and Fox.
                Lying? Cheating? How's that?

And they WONDER why some people use... illegitimate means of obtaining their products. I laugh when they say "we charge what the market will bare in each country". Riggght. Charge the cheapest price in the richest country? That makes sense.
                But do they say that? Or are you sure it doesn't have a lot more to do with tax?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  Lying? Cheating? How's that?
                  They seem to be lying and cheating when they claim not to be part of an illegal oligopoly. There is no way that every distribution company should settle on the exact same arbitrary price in every single market. Fixing the market is cheating.
                  Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  But do they say that? Or are you sure it doesn't have a lot more to do with tax?
                  That is one of the stated reasons for the existence of the Region Codes which are suppose to prevent people in, say, Britain from buying half price DVDs in the US. This is an excuse that is given every time the double-US DVD prices in Britian are mentioned. "We just charge what the market will bare". If that's true, then prices in Britain and the US should be approximately the smae (slightly cheaper in Britain), and prices in Ukraine should be 1/50th of the price of US DVDs, because that's what the market can bare (last time I checked median income in Ukraine was 700 US dollars per year). Region codes would then prevent the people in rich countries from abusing the lower prices in poor countries. Shocker, this isn't how it actually works. Their statements appear to be a clear falsehood.

And yes I'm sure about taxes. There are slightly greater distribution costs in Canada due to the Two official languages, the small import tax on DVD media, and the smaller market. But according to recent statements made by Canadian retailers (who have been taking serious flak on this issue) these add up to less than 10% extra in most cases. So that 26 dollar DVD should cost ~29 dollars in Canada, not 38.

Comment

I have not downloaded the movie but it has already been uploaded to the internet and people have commented on other websites on how to download the movie and burn a dvd. I hope that the studio doesn't lose so much money that it stops making other movies. I never saw the highlander movie that was shown on sci-fi but I heard that it was supposed to be the first of a trilogy but after people started downloading it the studio was forced to show it at sci-fi and canceled the plans to make more movies.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrina_lane03 View Post
                      I have not downloaded the movie but it has already been uploaded to the internet and people have commented on other websites on how to download the movie and burn a dvd. I hope that the studio doesn't lose so much money that it stops making other movies. I never saw the highlander movie that was shown on sci-fi but I heard that it was supposed to be the first of a trilogy but after people started downloading it the studio was forced to show it at sci-fi and canceled the plans to make more movies.
                      Well, I think MGM has nothing to worry about, it looks like the leaked version motivated people who probably hesitated whether to buy the movie or not, to make a positive decision about purchasing it. Take a look at Amazon.com's rankings - The Ark of Truth is now #92 in DVDs general, and #29 in SciFi and Fantasy category. The movie is great and everybody wants to see now the finished version plus all the DVD goodies, like behind the scenes documentaries

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyinred View Post
                        Well, I think MGM has nothing to worry about, it looks like the leaked version motivated people who probably hesitated whether to buy the movie or not, to make a positive decision about purchasing it. Take a look at Amazon.com's rankings - The Ark of Truth is now #92 in DVDs general, and #29 in SciFi and Fantasy category. The movie is great and everybody wants to see now the finished version plus all the DVD goodies, like behind the scenes documentaries
                        Let's hope your right
                        And cross our fingers that AoT gains popularity and sells really well in March...

Comment

Originally posted by FenRiR FoXz View Post
                          Let's hope your right
                          And cross our fingers that AoT gains popularity and sells really well in March...
                          I think it should. Season 10 DVD box was in top 10 at Amazon.com for about a month or more when it was released in USA/Canada.

Comment

Canuck dollar has been above parity for about 6 moths now, at above .90 for couple of years!

This is WAY over priced at Canadian dollars, while everything else now (excluding most books) USD=CD prices.

I got a 17" inch laptop, 1 gig ram etc (brand new), for only $595 Canadian from BestBuy Canada. Hell, it is cheaper than even laptops they sell at BestBuy USA.

Comment

Working...
                            X