Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amanda's acting is solid wherever she goes. With her arrival elsewhere, I think this may get a bit more interesting. I do agree, changes are difficult to get used to, but Atlantis has been gaining alot more promise. Curious how this might turn out.

Comment

[QUOTE=flynn1959;6604896]
      Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post

Carter being in Atlantis will get me watching the show again.

QUOTE]

And Carter being on Atlantis has driven me away from the show.

I wonder how many new viewers will be cancelled out by the old viewers that Carter and the many changes on Atlantis have driven away? If Weir was still there in charge and if Becket was still there, I might just have kept watching, if Carter had a minor role in the odd episode. I have watched SG1 for years with her on and have managed to ignore her, so I am sure I could have done that again with Atlantis.

It seems just plain daft of tptb to drive so many of thier viewers away like this. They could have had the best of both worlds...kept the old fans and maybe attracted a few new ones like yourself.
      Only time will tell. Cast changes both attract and drive away viewers, and it's going to be hard to tell as Nielsen ratings people don't write down WHY they don't watch a show. THe biggest problem is that the show is making changes constantly, which really doesn't bode well for any show. Too many changes, you do risk alienating viewers. For many people, TV is comfort fare. Have a crappy day at work? You come home and watch an hour of something you find fun, or dramatic, but in some respect, soothing. This is why I don't cotton to the inane idea of boosting ratings by KILLING characters. Heck, my favorite character gets killed, I usually stop watching.

Carter will attract a certain percentage of SG1 fans to the show (in the same way that if they'd had Jackson or O'Neill or Mitchell, you'd pull in those fans too). Losing Weir will lose some fans too.

And uh, that Teyla thing that's going on, spoiler discussion to rant or whatever at THE SEER thread under season 4.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
        Gold is precious and rare, lead is base and common. And do you know the meaning of the word much? Or do you simply not read an entire post?
        Gold is only precious because we make it precious in our minds. Compared to lead, it doesn't have as much practical use at all. It's a good electrical conducter (though silver is a much better conducter and copper is far more practical for most uses anyway) and thats really about it. Lead on the other hand has been used for practical applications since the bronze age and still is today. The fact that it's rare is meaningless - Scandium, for example, is even rarer and has even fewer uses.
        Last edited by Agent_Dark; 25 April 2007, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I know I will be tuning into Atlantis more, now that Carter is going to be on it. I would have preferred having both Weir and Carter, but TPTB chose to make the charater recurring. The actors understand the business and harbour no ill will towards each other, its too bad some fans can't do the same
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
            I know I will be tuning into Atlantis more, now that Carter is going to be on it. I would have preferred having both Weir and Carter, but TPTB chose to make the charater recurring. The actors understand the business and harbour no ill will towards each other, its too bad some fans can't do the same
            The vast majority of fans don't harbor ill will toward the actors or even each other, but if they have bones to pick, it's with TPTB that made the decision (for some unfathomable reason, except that putting Carter on SG1 was designed in part just to bring SG1 fans to the show). yes, it's business, doesn't mean we have to like it

Comment

Now that Carter is going to be incommand of Atlantis i presume that she will be permoted to brigader general. Even though she is comeing i am going to miss Dr.Weir.

Comment

she can't be promoted to general, she has full colonel to go through first...and if a colonel can command a space ship, a colonel can command a city

besides i don't think sam has enough time in service to make it to brig general
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  she can't be promoted to general, she has full colonel to go through first...and if a colonel can command a space ship, a colonel can command a city

believe that's correct.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                    The vast majority of fans don't harbor ill will toward the actors or even each other, but if they have bones to pick, it's with TPTB that made the decision (for some unfathomable reason, except that putting Carter on SG1 was designed in part just to bring SG1 fans to the show). yes, it's business, doesn't mean we have to like it

Yes I agree the vast majority don't habor ill will toward the actors or each other but it's just those few that are spreading themselves around. I do understand their anger twoards TPTB, but not their constant slamming of actors or characters.....it's become very annoying.
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

as long as they don't break the rules, they're allowed to be as annoying as they want.

Let's lose the comments about other fans please.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

I concur I think she will become a Colonel and as Colonel if Wier is unable to serve as leader she can take command of Atlantis.I can't wait to see how this will affect Sheppard.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
                          I concur I think she will become a Colonel and as Colonel if Wier is unable to serve as leader she can take command of Atlantis.I can't wait to see how this will affect Sheppard.
                          Er, it's Dr. Weir. She's not military.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                            Er, it's Dr. Weir. She's not military.
                            Perhaps you misunderstood. I said:

I concur, I think she(Carter) will become a Colonel and as Colonel, if Wier is unable to serve as leader, she(Carter) can take command of Atlantis.
                            I forgot some commas. I guess in my head I just read it as if there were commas, my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                              lol, Lead probably has more practical uses than Gold. Most of Gold's uses come from decorative uses, which are only there to look 'shiny'.

Though good work saying you won't comment on it, and then commenting on it anyway.
                              I was thinking the same thing! Very sly! "I won't comment but to say that one is gold and one is a worthless brick." Tell us what you REALLY think.

I'm sorry that Higginson is leaving, I'm glad Tapping still has a role in the Stargate universe. They're both good actresses. I remember some negative comments regarding Claudia Black vs Amanda Tapping when Black first ended up in the Stargate universe. I hope that kind of mindset isn't kicking up again re: Tapping vs Higginson.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                                Gold is only precious because we make it precious in our minds. Compared to lead, it doesn't have as much practical use at all. It's a good electrical conducter (though silver is a much better conducter and copper is far more practical for most uses anyway) and thats really about it. Lead on the other hand has been used for practical applications since the bronze age and still is today. The fact that it's rare is meaningless - Scandium, for example, is even rarer and has even fewer uses.
                                Try telling that to the millions of rheumatism surrerers worldwide who get gold injections that allow them to get out of bed and walk each morning. Or the air purifier manufactures who use gold, or the dentists who use gold for fillings, or the doctors who use gold nanoparticles to detect cancer, or the police who use it in fingerprint detection or... oh well you get the idea. Anyway, back OT we want our gold back, we don't want the lead.

Each and every article I read from this woman just makes me dislike her more, is she really that insensistive?
                                sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Working...
                                X