Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i read doc's. It wasn't what i'd call perfect. I scanned a bit when it dragged, laughed out loud over other parts and had a few quibbles, but all in all, i found it a good read. I'm a fast reader and it took my about 2 days, reading off and on, to finish it.

Not good enough that i'm ready to read it a second time like I have other books or fic (I read David Edding's Belgariad and Mallorian about every 10 years or so and I've read Doc's 'the weather outside' about 4-5 times) but I found it to be worth the money and I don't regret getting it
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
      Sabine Bauer, aka "Doc", wrote the very first SG novel, published in June. The title is Trial By Fire. (The second SG novel, by Julie Fortune, is due out in September.)

Go here for more details and a pic of the cover:
      http://www.stargatenovels.com/bookshop.php

There's also a really good interview with Sabine Bauer about the book on the GW site:

http://www.gateworld.net/articles/in.../bauer01.shtml
      Put's 'Trial by Fire' on request list for fast approaching birthday!
      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

[QUOTE=Skydiver]I thought everyone knew, or had heard of, Doc. She was a BNF way back in the beginning.

QUOTE]

Doesn't ring a bell being a BNF. Big Name Fan, for those who wonder what that acronym is.

Has she been in any other fandom?

Comment

She had an online fanzine running for a bit - 'Pink Khaki' was it?
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Pink Khaki was a different Doc. AKA Doc Selar, I think.

Madeleine

Comment

Yeah that was a different doc

This doc had her fic at www.frondfic.com
              then go to 'doc's surgery'

She wrote her last fanfic about 2 years ago i think
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

After swearing I'd never buy another published fan novel again - I'll confess I was tempted with Trial by Fire and did succumb.

Generally when considering published novels, I feel gypped. No matter how good, no published novel is going to match the value for money of being able to read a hundred fanfic for a fraction of the price I paid for a book. And published fan novels usually leave me feeling something is just a little...off. A little wanting. Even the best of them, for me, are almost there but not quite.

I caved in on TBF because I'd just discovered Doc's fanfic and throughly enjoyed it and I was curious to see how she'd do with something published.

I did enjoy TBF, but I'd agree with previous posters. It was...okay, a good read, but not great. Certainly it didn't hold me enthralled as her fanfic had, but I do recognise that published novels restrict the author slightly, as they have to appeal to a broad mass of SG opinion and tastes. You can't indulge yourself as you can with fanfic. I think that's probably where I find them wanting actually, come to think of it. They are too broad for me, trying to appeal to the mass audience. To be truly satisfied by a SG story, it needs to cater more to my own tastes, concentrating more on character relationship than action adventure. And the latter is usually the criteria for published novels rather than the former. Although, having said that, I was pleasantly surprised by how much of the former Doc managed to include in her novel.

It made me laugh - especially Jack's interaction with the female archeologist, even if she was a bit of a steal from old Ealing Comedies and a bit of a caricature, but it dragged a bit for me in the middle. I thought most of the characterisations were very good and generally I'd recommend it as light reading if you're thinking about buying it. But I wouldn't read it a second time and I'd point you to Doc's fanfic first before recommending you shell out the cash.

I probably won't buy Sacrifice Moon. Mostly because TBF reinforced my opinion that fanfic is cheaper and more satisfying by far, than any published novel could ever be. Partly because I don't know this author. Although I will admit I'm very tempted to give it another try, given the summary on this one. Especially if it deals with that embarrassing incident with Sam and that drink. If it doesn't, the author's missed a big chance there, I think. It begs to be included really, doesn't it? <G>

So...conclusion. I probably won't go rushing to pre-order SM. But I might be tempted enough given the subject matter to look out for it as a secondhand buy.

Albion
                Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                  Pink Khaki was a different Doc. AKA Doc Selar, I think.
                  And I put Trial by Fire on my birthday request list thinking that... ah well - it should still be enjoyable.
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Ok, has anyone actually tried to buy 'Sacrifice Moon' yet? I'm having no luck on the website, it just brings up 'Trail by Fire'!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksbabe
                      Ok, has anyone actually tried to buy 'Sacrifice Moon' yet? I'm having no luck on the website, it just brings up 'Trail by Fire'!
                      No, Sacrifice Moon isn't showing up on amazon.co.uk yet either.

But what is weird is there's now a Stargate novel on amazon.co.uk by the same publishers (Fandemonium) that is due out in October called "Matter of Honor" by Sally Malcolm.

Anyone know anything about this one???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...Fencoding=UTF8

Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Hi, I'm new here. New to the entire fandom, actually, but this seemed like a good and friendly place to start, forum-wise.

I am very familiar with Julie Fortune, and have read, I believe, all of her published Stargate fanifc. I also know her personally. She was responsible for getting me into the Stargate fandom. So obviously, I will be buying Sacrifice Moon. I've read the opening few pages on her live journal and found it to be engaging, funny, excellent Jack-voice. One of the things I value when I read show-based fiction is excellent characterization and plotting. I need to feel like I'm watching an episode. I get that with Julie's stories.

The Good Wife is a Daniel-centric story. However she has other work that is Sam-centric, Jack-centric... I particularly enjoyed The Little Things and The Undefended Territory, which were published in the Redemption 'zines (details on Julie's website).

Obviously, yes, I have a personal bias, but I have to say I was drawn to Julie originally because of her writing (in the Angel fandom). Personally, I would recommend anything she has written.

For those looking for the book, I believe it will be available closer to the end of Semptember / beginning of October.
                        Little Heaven
                        http://www.littleheaven.dbfandom.com

Comment

Working...
                        X