Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I was in the US, and got Sci Fi, and had a Neilson box, I'd stop watching Atlantis. Not out of spite, but because it's one hour in an evening. Not worth it. See how the ratings went down when they cut it from 3 to 2 hours? Atlantis is not long for this world either now.

And any way I look at it, it's definately Sci Fi trying to kill the show. Removing the anchor, the 6 month hiatus and running it against a much more popular show. They clearly just wanted their 200 episodes and record book entry.

The ratings WILL go up the next few weeks. 200 got a lot of attention from critics and reviewers (for the first time in SG history!), this week sees the entry of Morena Baccarin, could bring in a few firefly fans (and new viewers who saw 200 and want to see more), and then the episode after that isn't running against Monk. The ratings would go up, but that doesn't matter to Sci Fi. It was never about ratings- it was about records.

Comment

Can't say I am completely surprised. I find it ironic that they were on the verge of ending show pretty much every season since season 4 and when they finally start writing the show as if it has a longer furture than the curent season it gets cancelled. Well at least they have until March before they show the second half of the season so maybe there is time to make sure the final couple of episodes send the show out with the bang it deserves. At least there is time to make sure it doesn't end on a cliffhanger. I would really hate that. In retrospect maybe the ending of season 8 was appropriate. They save the day then they all go fishing. A feature films idea sounds great but thats probably as likely to happen as the made for tv Angel movie that never happened after they were cancelled.
      Teal'c "I killed you"
      Daniel "Why?"
      Teal'c "You were a Go'uld spy"
      Daniel "a good reason"

Comment

Oh I totally agree...don't kill SGA! We need it in the hopes that SG-1 will stay alive- or at least, we will see their characters semi-regularly.... and to
        Originally posted by Matt G
        Speaking as someone who bailed out of S9 after four eps though is planning to give "The Pegasus Project" a go...this stuff happens. There have been cancelation rumours for every season from S4 on in and quite frankly NO ONE should complain about a 10 year run. Oddessy 5 got toasted after one year. Dark Angel got toasted after two years and both shows got cancelled too early.

SG1 and Atlantis weren't even supposed to co-exist and unlike SG1 that needed a total overhaul to stay alive, Atlantis still has fuel in the tank.

Mourn SG1. But let it go. Or at least don't do anything moronic(like sabotaging quality stuff like Atlantis and BSG) in your efforts to bring in back please.
        You should have given Season 9 a chance. Yes it was new, and yes it was different and yes it wasn't the Sg-1 that we've been used to but it was growth. Your bailing was another nail in SG-1's coffin......

.........ok, still trying not to cry here....... *breathe, breathe, breathe*
        sigpic
        Being a shipper, is the only way to be.
        |My Fanfics|My Fanart|My Orig. Stories|

Comment

Sorry, but the truth is that the Powers That Be at Bridge have spent the last few seasons deconstructing SG1 in favor of their spin-off baby, ATLANTIS. They've made it pretty clear that they wanted the older show to end, because it wasn't their original creation.

I'll be d*amned if I'm going to reward them by continuing to watch and support the franchise, when they've gone out of their way to degrade my favorite program and kill off every popular character from the original, even attempted to get Daniel Jackson off the show. I don't see one reason to blindly support them when they haven't shown the same respect for the viewing audience and fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
            Eek! SG-1 MUST NOT DIE! If Skiffy doesn't want it anymore, please find a new home for it! I'm certain there are other channels out there who are dying to get their hands on such a monster I mean come on! What channel would not want a record breaking series with thousands of extremely loyal fans?
            There's too much going on in the series to end it quickly! And those fans who gave up on the show in season 9 are just dumb...yes, it's different and yes it took getting used to these changes but season 10 has been GREAT up to now. They just need a chance to get into a new routine! They just were never willing to even give it a chance and that is not the mark of intelligence.
            SG-1 must go on!
            Yes, give it to Space! Give it back to us Canadians! We would love the show! We would take care of our show! Hell, its made in canada, it might as well air first in Canada...since the people at Sci-fi are being idiots..... *sigh*
            sigpic
            Being a shipper, is the only way to be.
            |My Fanfics|My Fanart|My Orig. Stories|

Comment

Hey actually, I'm of the opinion that SGA's been repeatedly shafted for SG1!

It's had far more publicity from TPTB, and they gave a LOT more thought to the Ori than the Wraith or the Asurans.
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
                If I was in the US, and got Sci Fi, and had a Neilson box, I'd stop watching Atlantis. Not out of spite, but because it's one hour in an evening. Not worth it. See how the ratings went down when they cut it from 3 to 2 hours? Atlantis is not long for this world either now.

And any way I look at it, it's definately Sci Fi trying to kill the show. Removing the anchor, the 6 month hiatus and running it against a much more popular show. They clearly just wanted their 200 episodes and record book entry.

The ratings WILL go up the next few weeks. 200 got a lot of attention from critics and reviewers (for the first time in SG history!), this week sees the entry of Morena Baccarin, could bring in a few firefly fans (and new viewers who saw 200 and want to see more), and then the episode after that isn't running against Monk. The ratings would go up, but that doesn't matter to Sci Fi. It was never about ratings- it was about records.
                Considering the massive changes SG-1 underwent last season, Sci-Fi was absolutely stupid not to have the DVDs for Season 9 out before Season 10 so that new viewers could catch up. Lost always has its previous season on DVD out before the next season's premier. It's needed in highly serialized TV shows.

Comment

Originally posted by GateShip One
                  My hope is that MGM will give Sci-Fi the finger and move both shows over to another network, maybe the new UPN/WB merged network CW. I realize they're bad for cancelling sci-fi shows, ie Angel, but it's better than nothing.
                  Bring sga to UPN Buffy the Vampire slayer moved to upn from wgn and it faired alot better. The problem was is that not everyone has cable and can watch the sci-fi channel, bringing sga to a channel like upn which is available to EVERYONE would be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                    another thing:

boycott Atlantis, and people who currently work on both shows will lose their jobs, like all the crew, in-house directors, grips, hell even the craft service people!

Do these people deserve to lose their livelihoods over this? no.

By supporting Atlantis, people on SG1 will be able to keep their jobs at the Bridge, and it'll keep the door open for the SG1 cast to pop over to Atlantis on occasion.
                    weshouldnt boycott atlantis

StarGate SG1 Petition numbers:436 & 2460
                    SAVE STARGATE SG1

Comment

don't Stop Watching Atlantis Or Galactica Or Eureka - They're Amazing Shows. As Much As Sg-1 Cancellation Saddens Me, We Can't Kill 3 Other Amazing Shows For The Sake Of One

Please Keep Watching!!!
                      Ian

Comment

This must be the maniacal workings of Baal...

All joking aside, I'm shocked by this news. SG-1 hits a milestone episode and is finall starting to find its new stride and they can it!?! Blaming "Monk" is ridiculous--if that's the case why not move SG-1 back to 8:00? I'm frequently baffled by the decisions of the networks. If the writers, actors and producers have found a good way to end the series, and think it should end I can accept it. I'm optimistic that another Network will pick it up. I don't care if it's Food Network! Didn't Fox just acquire distribution rights? They could give it a shot on there--in between all the animal disasters shows.

It's too good of a property to pass up. MGM just gets done saying how its like unto their lucrative Bond franchise and this happens? I was slightly concerned about the rising costs of production comments, but I was still optimistic.

This is terrible, and to hit us after the 200th!!! I was so optimistic about RDA coming back for some episodes. Well If it's true I say goodbye Skiffy and hello SG-1 on primetime Lifetime!

Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

Originally posted by cdcarter
                          I have too! This is so saddening. GAAHHH!! Ok, Skiffy, no more. Our home has no reason to keep cable anymore.
                          I would like to note that I will continue to watch Atlants via the iTunes store, I still love it

Comment

They better start producing Teal'c PI >_>

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie Way
                              I'll be d*amned if I'm going to reward them by continuing to watch and support the franchise, when they've gone out of their way to degrade my favorite program and kill off every popular character from the original, even attempted to get Daniel Jackson off the show. I don't see one reason to blindly support them when they haven't shown the same respect for the viewing audience and fans.
                              What the bloody hell are you talking about? Sure they killed off Fraiser, but both RDA and DSD retired out of their own accord, and everyone else is still there.

Get DJ off of the show?! Are you stuck in Season 6 or something?

Comment

Originally posted by acendedscopes
                                Thank you, SGA is still running strong and that's no damn reason to boycott it just because SG1 has been cancelled. Sg1 was suposed to go after season 7 and Atlantis would take over, s8 was pretty much running on empty because the goa'uld were pretty much dead. s9, I tried to watch but c'mon it was just too much of a stretch and it seemed like they pulled the ori out as a last ditch effort to keep the show alive. Ten seasons, 200 episodes, I say that's pretty great and they broke a record in the process but just let them go, you'll probbably see some of the guys from sg1 popping in on Atlantis from time to time so don't be sad and most importantly don't take your anger out on a perfectly good show like Stargate Atlantis.
                                I very much agree. Very well put. I feel stargate sg1 lost all that made it what it was with S9. It was like a different show, a more philosophical and less action packed and original one. Too much talking and not enough doing. I liked some eps of S10 but after something like the 200th ep IMHO the show really lost it. It's just not stargate sg1 anymore in anything but it's name which is what kept it going.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X