Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congratulations To Stargate Sg-1 On Making The Guinness Book Of World Records!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sueKay
    It's still consecutive in that the show doesn't cease production completely...even through the hiatuses, the vis-effects people and the writers are still working. Unlike Dr Who where a series would end and really end (sets dismantled, writers not writing) and then the BBC would commission more with some of the same writers, some of the same crew and either same or different doctors depending on if they wanted to come back.
    Exactly! I really should have edited that post to be more specific.
    *THUNK*

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."- Adam Savage

Cassidy- "Go ahead, Munch, rain on my parade."
    Munch- "I don't just want to rain on your parade, I want to blow up all the floats."

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
      I need to get this out, dudes.

STARGATE SG-1 IS NOT THE LONGEST RUNNING SCIFI SERIES EVER. DOCTOR WHO IS, OKAY?????

And Doctor Who's had breaks sure, but went from the 60s to the present. But Stargate has only been around for ten years!!!! I love both shows but THAT'S THE TRUTH!!!

STARGATE SG-1 IS THE LONGEST RUNNING SCIFI SERIES EVER. DOCTOR WHO IS NOT, OKAY?????

Stargate SG-1 has become the longest running consecutive scifi show... No error or anything. Before Stargate it was X-Files.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou

STARGATE SG-1 IS NOT THE LONGEST RUNNING SCIFI SERIES EVER. DOCTOR WHO IS, OKAY?????

And Doctor Who's had breaks sure, but went from the 60s to the present. But Stargate has only been around for ten years!!!! I love both shows but THAT'S THE TRUTH!!!
        Funny that Guinness Book of World Records is based in LONDON...

2004 Get in the Gate Winner

The less often a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Comment

As far as I see it... Doctor Who, followed by Star Trek, is the longest running SCI-FI TELEVISION FRANCHISE ever. You can say "series" if you really must.

I agree that Stargate SG-1 has the longest consecutive series for running 10 years non-stop.
          //

O'Neill: Phasers?
          Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

Doctor Who ran continuously from 1963 to 1985. It's a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by BuggyMan
              Doctor Who ran continuously from 1963 to 1985. It's a mistake.
              Doctor who ran continuously from 1963 to 1985, then took a break and started up again in 2005. It is not a continuous series.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
                Doctor who ran continuously from 1963 to 1985, then took a break and started up again in 2005. It is not a continuous series.
                So? Then the record to beat is 22 years. It ran continuously from 1963 to 1985. The record doesn't suddenly invalidate because it then took a break.

The only way Stargate SG-1 can lay claim to the title if they go on number of stories - Doctor Who had around 160 or so, SG-1 has 220 odd. Which is probably why they make the comparison with XFiles.

All the nonsensical talk in this thread about "it isn't the same series because a major character left" distracts us from the main argument - that as far as the definition for hte word "consecutive" goes, SG-1 ran for 10 consecutive years. Doctor Who ran for 22. That is irrefutable whatever way you look at it.

Trev.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Gensch
                  So? Then the record to beat is 22 years. It ran continuously from 1963 to 1985. The record doesn't suddenly invalidate because it then took a break.
                  Actually it does. Why only count part of a show? Those 22 years, PLUS these 2 new seasons (wasn't it 26?) are DOCTOR WHO, that's what the show is. It is long, but not continuous.

That's like saying, I'm gonna only count the first 9 years of Doctor Who for whatever reason, and boom, SG1 beats that.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                    Actually it does. Why only count part of a show? Those 22 years, PLUS these 2 new seasons (wasn't it 26?) are DOCTOR WHO, that's what the show is. It is long, but not continuous.

That's like saying, I'm gonna only count the first 9 years of Doctor Who for whatever reason, and boom, SG1 beats that.
                    No, its not like that at all. How ridiculous is that?

DW had an unbroken, consecutive run for 22 years, irregardless of what happened afterwards.

Let me ask you this. If the tallest man EVER in the world dies, does that mean the next person in the line is the tallest man ever because the other guy is dead? Of course not.

The longest consecutively running show in the world, ever, peaked at 22 years. Stargate SG-1 only did 10. All this nonsense talk of counting stuff past its 1985 hiatus and therefore invalidating its consequtive run because of it is based on false logic.

Comment

No, its not like that at all. How ridiculous is that?

DW had an unbroken, consecutive run for 22 years, irregardless of what happened afterwards.

Let me ask you this. If the tallest man EVER in the world dies, does that mean the next person in the line is the tallest man ever because the other guy is dead? Of course not.
                      I agree. But the new guy would be the tallest man still living.

The wording is simple, "what is the longest consecutive Sci-fi show?" I don't care if you think it's nonesense, but no matter how you slice it, Doctor Who is not consecutive thanks to the new seasons. Ironically enough, if there were no revival, then Doctor Who would've received the record.

Why do you care so much anyway? Doctor Who is still the longest running Sci-fi out there, SG1 just gets a second place titled with "consecutive". Isn't one record (which is more prestigeous anyway) enough?

Comment

I agree. But the new guy would be the tallest man still living.
                        I agree, but Stargate SG-1 is dead.

The wording is simple, "what is the longest consecutive Sci-fi show?" I don't care if you think it's nonesense, but no matter how you slice it, Doctor Who is not consecutive thanks to the new seasons.
                        No, Doctor Who wins because it had 22 consecutive seasons. That statement is not in denial, and it beats SG-1s 10 seasons.

Comment

Ok, you're not getting it.

They can't choose and pick which part of the show they want. If they want to put a show in some catagory, the whole show needs to be counted! And DW will never EVER get the consecutive record. EVER.

And unlike a man, SG1 will remain as it is even if it "dies". Now, if another SG1 revival comes up in a few years, then it's not consecutive, and the X-files will have that record again. As per the apparent rules.

Comment

I agree, but Stargate SG-1 is dead.
                            Dude what are you trying to do here? It ain't dead !!
                            Lord Zedd

Comment

And unlike a man, SG1 will remain as it is even if it "dies". Now, if another SG1 revival comes up in a few years, then it's not consecutive, and the X-files will have that record again. As per the apparent rules.
                              No, if the record is for 'Longest consecutive running sci-fi show' then the only thing that matters is the number of consecutive years new episodes were in production. If Dr Who had ran for say nine years then took a break of a year or two, that would be only thing that should prevent it from holding the record. Twenty-Two years is still twenty-two years though no matter how you try to slice it up. But now this has just become about debating the semantics of it all.

As it is, I'm afraid the Guiness Book of Records just doesn't appear as reliable as it once was.

A sci-fi/steampunk/fantasy novel... with color pictures!
                              My Blog

“This summer on Sci-Fi... as part of our five year mission to find the lowest common denominator, we bring you… Extreme Psychic Reality Makeover…!"

Comment

Oh for God's sake!

Doctor Who IS NOT A CONSECUTIVE SCIFI SHOW.

Stargate, from its start to now, has run continuously.
                                Doctor Who, from its start to now has had breaks.

Doctor Who is the longest running SciFi show. Stargate SG-1 is the longest running consecutive SciFi show.

If I ran for 30 miles, then a week later ran for another 30 miles, do I get a record for running 60 miles?

Comment

Working...
                                X