Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congratulations To Stargate Sg-1 On Making The Guinness Book Of World Records!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old news http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=32951
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

One question though, won't the 6 month hiatus stop SG-1's consecutive run?
      "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
      The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Originally posted by RedGuard
        It will still have done 10 seasons and the 203 episodes it needs.
        Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

(could be the complete changing of actors,
          If this was a disqualifier then why would SG1 hold the record? It changed its lead actor at the end of S8 and began life with a new one in S9. You can't have it both ways, guys.

I just wish that SG1 had won the title honestly. We had eight seasons of SG1 and have had two seasons of Stargate Command - a new show. Hardly a consecutive run.

I still can't see how SG1 can hold the record other than for the US, but there you go. I'm not going to get all fired up about it. These kinds of records never meant much to me on any level and I don't really care either way, who holds such a record.

But I do think that even if SG1 qualified for this one, it was won through some sly sleight of hand on the part of Sci-Fi and TPTB and not really on merit. Because as far as I'm concerned, you're talking about two shows here, not one. SG1 ended in S8 with Moebius II. Far short of any record - US or Worldwide.

Albion
          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
            If this was a disqualifier then why would SG1 hold the record? It changed its lead actor at the end of S8 and began life with a new one in S9. You can't have it both ways, guys.
            Uh, maybe because SG-1 still has mostly the same cast?
            Only RDA and Don Davis have left the show (although they still have small recurring roles). Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, and Chris Judge have been on the show for ten years (even though Michael Shanks wasn't a star in Season 6, he still recurred in it).

Doctor Who, on the other hand, has had a rotating cast of over 40 stars, with most only staying on the show a couple of years.

There's a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion

I just wish that SG1 had won the title honestly. We had eight seasons of SG1 and have had two seasons of Stargate Command - a new show. Hardly a consecutive run.

I still can't see how SG1 can hold the record other than for the US, but there you go. I'm not going to get all fired up about it. These kinds of records never meant much to me on any level and I don't really care either way, who holds such a record.

But I do think that even if SG1 qualified for this one, it was won through some sly sleight of hand on the part of Sci-Fi and TPTB and not really on merit. Because as far as I'm concerned, you're talking about two shows here, not one. SG1 ended in S8 with Moebius II. Far short of any record - US or Worldwide.

Albion
              How nice that people have to keep coming to this thread to complain about, instead of congratulate, Stargate.

Rick was only one "lead" actor. We still have the other three.

It's still SG-1, not Stargate Command. It's the same show, not a new one.

2004 Get in the Gate Winner

The less often a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Comment

Originally posted by RedGuard
                Why would you say that? It'll still have 20 eps per year, the same as it has been.

2004 Get in the Gate Winner

The less often a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Comment

Originally posted by N8ball88
                  How nice that people have to keep coming to this thread to complain about, instead of congratulate, Stargate.
                  Well, congratulations should be given when they're due. So, congratulations to Chris Judge and Amanda Tapping for playing the same characters for ten consecutive years. That's the record Stargate actually has. But Doctor Who still remains the longest running sci-fi series in the world. They're both good shows so I don't see why anyone should have a problem accepting those facts.

A sci-fi/steampunk/fantasy novel... with color pictures!
                  My Blog

“This summer on Sci-Fi... as part of our five year mission to find the lowest common denominator, we bring you… Extreme Psychic Reality Makeover…!"

Comment

It's called an opinion. And, so long as you and every other pro S9/10 fan who can't accept an opposing point of view to their own don't run this forum, the rest of us will continue to post them.

It's still SG-1, not Stargate Command. It's the same show, not a new one.
                    That's a matter of opinion, too. Back before Avalon aired, TPTB were so convinced this was no longer SG1 but a brand new, retooled show, that they wanted to call it Stargate Command. They were nixed by Sci-Fi - who presumably had an eye on just this record and of course they can't claim to have had a show running for ten years if it changed its name after S8. So TPTB were told to keep going with SG1.

So it's not just me that believes the show doesn't have much resemblance to SG1 any more and has had so much changed in it it's a new show in all but name. You want to go red TPTB for having that opinion, too? Or are they also not allowed to disagree with you?

Albion {Mod SNip because we are highly amused by snide comments}

(I've just realised my innocuous comment - though snide indeed - has been mod edited. Good grief! Considering the abusive, rude and offensive statements posted on this forum daily, (none of which have been mod removed to my knowledge) this was small potatoes indeed! Just reinforces my growing realisation that it's one rule for some and one for others in this forum. (And, yes, of course, I fully expect this to be mod removed, too. Can't go criticising the poor darlings for bias and inconsistent application of the rules, now can we? )
                    Last edited by Albion; 06 October 2006, 12:21 AM.
                    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by RedGuard:
                      No. That's like taking an extended vacation, because circumstances won't let your schedule go back to a rotating 3 month R&R status. The R&R is there for everyone cast and crew to catch up on other projects and especially for the writing staff to refresh their creativity. Writer's burn-out happens if and when things go non-stop forever. People need time off or away from some things. I don't know the circumstances behind this six month issue, other than maybe it's a Sci-Fi network move, so... Beyond that, become a writer, and find out the hard route about writer's burn-out and the need for *quality* based R&R.

There are no set time limitations that I've heard of for *consecutive* broadcast air times. School is consecutive too, including college; but some folks just take a breather off for a few years to get caught up on paying their tuition bills, and then go back (especially true for those getting PHD degrees). It doesn't mean they've stopped their education completely. They're just in a new phase of that same learning process.

Anywho, again this is being repetitious, but to repeat this cycling problem via the Doctor Who topic
                      {see GateWorld Forum}
                      "Does Dr. Who count?"
                      Originally posted by Ace:
                      So in my little warped and twisted mind I can to say that Stargate takes this honor home. And each Dr. Who incarnation has to be considered a different show each time...
                      Originally posted by SGalisa:
                      that piece of Trivia was answered years ago *officially* according to and in
                      The Doctor Who File, {(copyright 1986)} by Peter Haining book cover jacket:

"More than two decades after it began DOCTOR WHO is now the longest running TV science fiction programme in the world, and is second only to STAR TREK in terms of popularity."

Two Decades = 20 years
                      The Doctor: character concept of who and what he was never changed. Only the actor portraying him stepping into the role changed and usually brought another aspect of the Doctor's highly versatile (core) self to the surface. It's a novel concept that could, should, or would intrigue any writer / creator wishing they had thought of and produced it first...!

Still on-going from 1963 thru to 2006...and hopefully many years beyond...
                      with the ever-ready *energizer* Doctor...

*how to keep the series with the same name keep going and going and going...*

and
                      Originally posted by Albion:
                      as far as I'm concerned, you're talking about two shows here, not one. SG1 ended in S8 with Moebius II. Far short of any record - US or Worldwide.
                      Similar to DrWho, TPTB of SG-1 came up with a similar idea on how to keep the series going without RDA at the helm as both actor and producer. It's a credit to their creative sides on how to expand upon an already *good* thing.

If the creators of any story are going to limit their resources, it stifles any future successes their project may have. They (TPTB and MGM) still own the copyright to that same series name, so therefore according to the FCC or whoever dictates copyright laws and patents - it *is* the same series, regardless of which employees stayed or left or come back later. And the world of acting and writing, it's a delicate business and a ruthless one for survival.

Try writing a script that actually makes it into something more concrete and to a larger audience. It's not an easy task. And as 15 different writing agencies once told me in the 1970's when the original BSG flopped, paraphrasing:

Sci-fi TV is a genre that just isn't popular right now. Come back later in about 5 or 10 years, and then maybe TPTB will reconsider such ideas. Maybe I'm reading too much of "this audience is too young to see that," but writers need to work with what actually works, not with what one person's ideas think is the norm.

*Step out of the box* for creative thinking is another thought that comes to mind. DOCTOR WHO did that against what most considered to be the "norm" and standard of their image of what "Sci-Fi" TV should be. And in spite of many set-backs (mostly caused from the BBC network), it's still around - with the same name and same basic storylines, proving to the stubborn PTB so set in their ways at the older BBC during DW's earlier years that new ideas can work, if effectively done! (and even better when the audience reacts against BBC setting the series back umpteen number of times). DW was a novelty idea before its time, and treated over the years as such. It was a war of the wills:
                      DW - TPTB vs. the BBC and ultimately DW's viewing audiences.

Try to think of it this way, if people only aimed to reach the moon, they'll never envision seeing the rest of the universe, because "Oh, that's another story." Not really. Just another chapter in a continuing saga of life (IMHO!). Maybe that is also how it is with certain TV shows, such as DW and SG in general...

Comment

One more:
                        Originally posted by TheUnknown:
                        Only RDA and Don Davis have left the show ... Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, and Chris Judge have been on the show for ten years ....

Doctor Who, on the other hand, has had a rotating cast of over 40 stars, with most only staying on the show a couple of years.

Most people I know have had to adapt to over the years to newer technologies, etc. Same ideas, just a different and sometimes better way of presenting it.

Regarding the business of writing, it shouldn't matter which characters stayed or left (be them in SG or DW). That's too narrow and limits every boundary line in existence. If you want a short run series, then:
                        never expect the unexpected to happen, and when it does, adapt to it, or stifle all future creativities around it. The resulting effects can go either way.

Even RDA's TV MacGyver series adapted when the actor who portrayed Mac's boss Pete started going blind in real life. TPTB wrote that *into* the scripts and worked around Pete's inability to walk around the sets. So, when RDA wanted to go home and have some of a real home life with and for his daughter, TPTB worked around that situation on SG.

Grant it, people come and people go; problems suddenly get dropped onto people (whoever it affects) when things seemed to be moving smoothly. Adapting to circumstances is a form of evolution. SG is evolving or morphing as new ideas get added to its list of various encounters and set-backs.

Besides, when I initially began watching SG, I tried to figure out who or what was the main idea (focused star/ item /star object) behind the series... The individual SG teams, or the Stargate ring thing itself, and all the possible places and peoples it can take anyone to at any particular time. How many different times can I remember SG doing stories specifically around the gate having quirks itself? (a few!) Now that gate has expanded into new dimensions, it has revealed there are more than just Goa'uld spaceships out there. There's now a SuperGate! *Cool*!

Thus, TPTB at Stargate (SG-1) have expanded their *horizons* in more ways than one...

Maybe because DW had a marvelous effect of showing how limited my own mind *really* was back in the 1980's is why I appreciate the *novelty* of its *unique* format. I'm glad that Stargate has attempted to think outside the "box" and take similar opportunities in keeping its SG-1 series (with the SAME Name) continue, regardless of who's at the helm or gate control. Anyway, the title SG-1 doesn't say Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c - it simply says SG-1, which in an expanded universe could mean anyone who is part of or has known of the SG-1 saga.

Otherwise, the creativity and adapting to changes in the universe(s) just ends. No room for growth, no room for anything, except a deep dark, black hole, ever again. Complete oblivion and lights out.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          dr who, though it may be a longer running show, has not been running consecutive. that's the key
                          Consecutive? The show launched on 23 November 1963 and ran, until going on hiatus, without interruption, until the late 1980s. To quote www.gallifreyone.com, "Doctor Who reigns as the longest-running science fiction television series of all time. From 1963 through 1989." Point to note: the show was on haitus for about year during the sixth Doctor's reign (around 1985/1986), so allowing for the hiatus to interrupt the "consecutive" part, Doctor Who ran without missing a season consecutively for some 22-23 years, and for 26 years before being cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by TheUnknown
                            Only RDA and Don Davis have left the show (although they still have small recurring roles). Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, and Chris Judge have been on the show for ten years (even though Michael Shanks wasn't a star in Season 6, he still recurred in it).

There is a difference... unfortunately, there is NO such qualification to define differences in the Guiness Book of World Records. It doesn't say "longest consecutively-running show that didn't change any cast members, or at least kept the bulk of its cast the same", it just says "longest consecutively running". There is a difference -- it's called "reading". I didn't invent the standard -- Guinness did, and they're wrong on their phrasing. Doctor Who ran until a one-year hiatus in the mid-1980s from 1963 through the mid-1980s WITHOUT INTERRUPTION. That's 20+ years. The standard is what Guinness put down, since this is a discussion about the Guinness Book of World (World, not US) Records put down as the classification.

Comment

Originally posted by spydermr2
                              Consecutive? The show launched on 23 November 1963 and ran, until going on hiatus, without interruption, until the late 1980s. To quote www.gallifreyone.com, "Doctor Who reigns as the longest-running science fiction television series of all time. From 1963 through 1989." Point to note: the show was on haitus for about year during the sixth Doctor's reign (around 1985/1986), so allowing for the hiatus to interrupt the "consecutive" part, Doctor Who ran without missing a season consecutively for some 22-23 years, and for 26 years before being cancelled.
                              But the new seasons are Doctor Who as well, so there's no reason not to count them as part of the series. You can't pick and choose which part the series you want to include.

Once the new seasons are counted however, the show becomes incontinuous due to the long hiatus between the latter seasons. So even if had a veeery long continuous run, the 2 new seasons makes the series incontinuous and void for this Guiness record.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15:
                                But the new seasons are Doctor Who as well, so there's no reason not to count them as part of the series. You can't pick and choose which part the series you want to include.
                                yep. To reiterate / repeat:
                                "You can't pick and choose which part the series you want to include."

If the critics of Stargate (SG-1) did that, then Season 6 of SG-1 wouldn't count, and Daniel returning in SG-1's Season 7 wouldn't have mattered as continuing the entire SG storyline. Expanding or enhancing upon it. Nada. It simply wouldn't count or matter - when picking and choosing becomes "the" standard rule.

"Actually, Daniel's part in the entire SG storyline doesn't matter. That's why Seasons 7 and beyond don't really count, either."

Golly! Believe that and I'd think everyone agreeing with that is nutzo!

From Day 1, he's only the guy who discovered what the gate might be and how to get the gate addresses to finally work completely; and he's only the guy willing enough to learn how to actually speak to various cultures communicating preferably peacefully with every alien entity encountered, if that's even possible. And Daniel has learned the hard route many times who might be a foe in friendly form; and even with all of his original personality flaws he's grown in various ways, because of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X