This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[mod snip]

Take ****ing blame for the shows' ratings and not make up some crap! The shows are not down a little they are down a lot. More people are going to movies, it's the lowest ratings week of the year. It's the same time every year, and "BSG" has more ads. He sounds like a little kid trying to explain why he is doing bad at school.

Then he talks about USA Channel, yes more people are watching those shows because they are better!

Stand up and go "People might not like what we are doing". [mod snip]
    Last edited by Darren; 26 July 2006, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Spin is a lovely thing, isn't it?

*Seshat dusts off her old sig just to remind people this was JOE talking here..."

Comment

Overall a good interview

He did side-step the ratings question, but I'm glad he's concerned about the sequel movies and seemed horrified at the thought of a 6-month hiatus.
        sigpic
        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Thanks for the interview, Marla!

Joe, I love ya, but you well know that "Let's see if we can stretch our four shows to year-round programming" is just the sort of idea that only Skiffy could come up with. Especially since Galactica and Stargate have already been off-set from one another.

That said, take note that in the news report we are still treating this as a rumor. It came second hand, and it's possible that something like "We're considering ..." or "What would you guys think if we ..." could have been lost in translation. And the programming execs could just as easily change their mind next week. There is no 6-month hiatus until Skiffy publishes a schedule with a 6-month hiatus (and even then, who knows ...).
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
            Actually, they don't even owe us that.

This may sound cliche, but if the product sucks in your eyes, then stop watching. They don't owe you anything since you have free will to use their product or not.
            This is probably what people who think the product sucks are doing, yet we hear folk complaining about the falling ratings.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo
              [mod snip]

Take ****ing blame for the shows' ratings and not make up some crap! The shows are not down a little they are down a lot. More people are going to movies, it's the lowest ratings week of the year. It's the same time every year, and "BSG" has more ads. He sounds like a little kid trying to explain why he is doing bad at school.

Then he talks about USA Channel, yes more people are watching those shows because they are better!

Stand up and go "People might not like what we are doing". [mod snip]
              Hey, I don't think I'm the only one who would easily say what I make sucks if I poured my blood and tears into it (figuratively speaking).

Give him a break, he's human, afterall.

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
              This is probably what people who think the product sucks are doing, yet we hear folk complaining about the falling ratings.
              Well, nobody likes falling ratings.

But then, there are indeed many reasons for it. You can call me and Joe excuse-makers, but that's the truth: there's more to ratings than just quality.
              Last edited by PG15; 26 July 2006, 02:55 PM.

Comment

This may sound cliche, but if the product sucks in your eyes, then stop watching. They don't owe you anything since you have free will to use their product or not.
                i think they are.

and isn't that the problem?

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

gotta love it - how many more people should stop watching? If they do the ratings will disappear and the entire future of the show lies in the ratings being good - seems a like a death-wish for the show to keep telling people to stop watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                    That said, take note that in the news report we are still treating this as a rumor. It came second hand, and it's possible that something like "We're considering ..." or "What would you guys think if we ..." could have been lost in translation. And the programming execs could just as easily change their mind next week. There is no 6-month hiatus until Skiffy publishes a schedule with a 6-month hiatus (and even then, who knows ...).
                    I sure hope it is a rumor. One that doesn't come true. I just really think a 6-month break in the middle of the seasons will hurt SG-1 and SGA.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo

I have to say I found the comment about *Martin doing research, oh I a can so see that * and coming back with the least *least* watched week in history ... Lol! I am not saying he is wrong, he is right it was an abysmal week for ratings across the board but a small kink in his argument was Eureka it actually got the largest debut ratings for a show ever on SciFi of course yes you can get away with saying it was screened the week after.

Comment

Well, it must be true. Sg-1 did go up a whole 0.1 of a point the same week Eureka was shown.

(Shame that the second showing went down by .1 the same week, but lets gloss over that and think positive.)
                        Last edited by smurf; 27 July 2006, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                          gotta love it - how many more people should stop watching? If they do the ratings will disappear and the entire future of the show lies in the ratings being good - seems a like a death-wish for the show to keep telling people to stop watching.
                          In terms of ratings, I think the number of people watching is probably more important than whether or not they actually liked it, at least as far as advertisers and execs are concerned.

Given a choice between a 1.5 rating, with every single person who watched absolutely adoring the show and everything about it and a 2.0, with 25% of those watching not liking the show or having problems with some aspects of it, which do you think that the network execs would prefer? Which would be a more tempting prospect for the advertisers? Which would give the show a better chance at renewal?

The trouble with telling people to stop watching if they don't like the show is that they may decide to take your advice and, if there are enough of them, soon the show is no longer there for anybody to watch.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Oh but that is very cliché, and just plain wrong.

Maybe if I told you that it is audience ratings that let him enjoy his monthly paycheck so he can buy stuff for his kids and eat plenty of Lays crisps as much as he likes, you'd think differently?
                            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              i think they are.

and isn't that the problem?
                              Sure is.

But then, that's the way it is. They're making a show they like, and if it doesn't work, then it'll get cancelled and that'll be the end of that. Sure I'll be mad as hell, but that's how the industry works.

I don't expect them to go to every forum out there and write down what the fans want and think "gosh, I must write this as a script or I'll owe them". If you're not creating a show you like, then there's no point doing it. It just so happens that their vision of what Stargate should be also reflect those of some of the fans. It's a coincidence, really.

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn

Maybe if I told you that it is audience ratings that let him enjoy his monthly paycheck so he can buy stuff for his kids and eat plenty of Lays crisps as much as he likes, you'd think differently?
                              Not really.

See, those that watch the show eventually get him money, but in turn the fans are getting entertainment. It balances out. Nobody owes anybody anything. Those that doesn't like the series won't watch it (at least that's how it works in my head), and thus won't be giving him money. They, in turn, will also not get any entertainment out of the show, and thus there is once again a balance, and nobody owes anybody anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X