Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if this will help the debate or not over Mr. Grazier's crediantials/opinions, but he's been writing BSG Tech Blogs for Hollywood North:

http://www.hollywoodnorthreport.com/...p?Article=3228

"We're discussing the technical aspects of computers, networks, viruses, and Cylon hacking, as presented in Battlestar Galactica. Back to Zinjo, who touches on what I think is the most interesting aspect of all our computer espionage issues: how the Cylons gain remote access to Colonial computers:"

And the expounds on the science of BSG.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Truth is one thing, but respect is quite another. The a-hole may have the first one (and that's debatable IMHO), but he has none of the second.

Comment

It's too bad Sciffy sucks BSG's giant, bloated critical acclaim so much, otherwise I'd imagine he'd get in trouble for a comment like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
          It's too bad Sciffy sucks BSG's giant, bloated critical acclaim so much, otherwise I'd imagine he'd get in trouble for a comment like that.
          I don't know why you and others are saying that. It's not like anyone watches Stargate to learn science(and if you do, stop right now). I was a huge Farscape fan, yet I admit its science wasn't very good. It wasn't the reason I watched. In those days, if Grazer said that about Farscape, I'd agree with him, too. But, it wouldn't change the other aspects of Farscape that made it great in my opinion.

If he had criticized the writing or the acting it would have been a much more damaging statement than criticizing the science.

Comment

I have yet to watch any BSG so I don't know who this guy is. But I will say this: To publically slam another sci-fi show, especially one that is not even a competitor but in fact airs on the same network, is downright unprofessional. And obviously, it's also rude.
            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

When I spoke to a friend, who is a big sci-fi fan, about the new BSG he told me that he doubted that the new Cylons would be able to perform half the duties that you so easily see them do. He told me that they looked too top heavy and would stumble around a lot. He also suggested that the new Cylons would fall down everytime something hit them. I don't pretend to be a master about robotics, but he is going on to a PhD at Reading University in Robotics, so he should know what he's doing. Also I know for a fact that one BSG has a completely terrible science moment.

Spoiler:
              Starbuck is crashing on a planet and as her ship goes through the atmosphere she ejects and lands safely on the ground with just a broken leg. I guess its the atmosphere as her ship is showing signs of heat and she is coming from a space fight. Even with a parachute, it would too hot with the ship glowing red around her, she would have jumped from too high to survive a jump from there

If that isn't bad science I don't know what is.

As for Stargate, Stargate employ many experts to do background checks on their theories and esp in their Mythiology. Occassionaly they have a bad moments, but generally I can see the science working.

"A man is made up of his worst and darkest moments, and destroyed when he takes nothing from them..."
              -A quote from me

Stargate Frontier a new VS at http://www.stargateomega.com

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                I don't know why you and others are saying that. It's not like anyone watches Stargate to learn science(and if you do, stop right now). I was a huge Farscape fan, yet I admit its science wasn't very good. It wasn't the reason I watched. In those days, if Grazer said that about Farscape, I'd agree with him, too. But, it wouldn't change the other aspects of Farscape that made it great in my opinion.

If he had criticized the writing or the acting it would have been a much more damaging statement than criticizing the science.
                It's more to do with the fact that he singled out Stargate out of aaaall the other possibilities: Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Farscape, The X Files, and so on. A lot of which have faaar less accurate science than Stargate.

Comment

the worst science of BSG is
                  Spoiler:
                  a Cylon having a half human half machine baby WTF or how cylon blood can cure cancer please and i won't even go into the FTL which magicly takes you from point A to point B

what a frelling idiot

Comment

Originally posted by lowriders95s10
                    the worst science of BSG is
                    Spoiler:
                    a Cylon having a half human half machine baby WTF or how cylon blood can cure cancer please and i won't even go into the FTL which magicly takes you from point A to point B

what a frelling idiot
                    i agree, how is that ok and wormholes are not? yes...frelling idiot indeed

Spoiler:

Originally posted by penguininablender
                    hey Fordies, log time no see. sorry i have not been on in a while. I was In a very bad car accident ( my VW bug was hit by a 46000 lb dump truck who ran a red light). I have just regained some use of my right hand and can barely type. I just missed y'all so much that I had to check in. I will try to come back t my fordies when I can type with more that just a thumb and a pointer,lol. Long live FORD!
                    Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                    OMG... so glad to hear that you are getting better... my positive energy is with you in hopes of a full recovery... Peace and Love.

- RSF

http://www.petitiononline.com/FORD/petition.html Sign the petition to bring back Ford!

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                      I have yet to watch any BSG so I don't know who this guy is. But I will say this: To publically slam another sci-fi show, especially one that is not even a competitor but in fact airs on the same network, is downright unprofessional. And obviously, it's also rude.
                      I felt his remark was very catty and simply showed how insecure he must really feel.

Comment

I don't have any problem with it. I thought it was funny, actually. Doesn't our show pride itself on being tongue-in-cheek?

Comment

You guys are getting too defensive. Stargate's "science" gets pretty ridiculous sometimes. But it's Stargate. It's a "comedy disguised as a science fiction show", as TPTB say. It's not supposed to be ultra-realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant

Oh heck, I wouldn't count on ANY tv show to learn science, except maybe Bill Nye the Science Guy. It's like learning forensics off CSI; there's a modicum of truth things are fudged for great drama.

What's annoying about the BSG slanging off on Stargate, at least to me, is that it's just a tacky thing to say. Of course, maybe next year some creativ eperson on Eureka will be saying the same thing about BSG

Meanwhile, most posts, live accounts and photos from COMIC con (and videos!) are piling up at the Comic con thread

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=30638

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnDream
                              You guys are getting too defensive. Stargate's "science" gets pretty ridiculous sometimes. But it's Stargate. It's a "comedy disguised as a science fiction show", as TPTB say. It's not supposed to be ultra-realistic.
                              Again, whether the statement was true or not doesn't matter, it's the lack of respect shown to a fellow Sci-fi channel show.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                                What's annoying about the BSG slanging off on Stargate, at least to me, is that it's just a tacky thing to say. Of course, maybe next year some creativ eperson on Eureka will be saying the same thing about BSG
                                Not only was it tacky, but it was bound to offend many of the Stargate fans in the audience (not to mention the actors and producers there). I mean, why would you want to alienate your potential audience?? That's why I think it was a very stupid thing for him to say out loud at any kind of event.

When I think of the exceedingly warm reception received by the BSG actors who made surprise appearances at the Vancouver Stargate con...and then at ComicCon this full-of-himself Grazer goes and knocks the SciFi shows that were for a time his show's lead-in, thus paving the way for his show to be accepted, it makes me lose respect for him and his product. He should know better than to do that. It's simply not professional.

No, Stargate is NOT BSG, nor does it have to be to be entertaining television. It sounds to me like this self-proclaimed "visionary" is full of a lot more than just vision.

Comment

Working...
                                X