This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
    Return of the King doesn't really belong there, either.
    Unless they mean SciFi/Fantasy, which a lot of marketing-types confuse. In either case, The Passion of the Christ does not belong in that list for oh so many reasons. It is #1 in the Drama category, which I would consider more appropriate.

My snobby husband likes to tell me that "scifi" means television and "science fiction" means books. Hmmpf. I'm not the one who called my cell phone in a panic today crying "I forgot the GDO!!! I can't open the Iris!!"
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

AnthroGirl said:
      "My snobby husband likes to tell me that "scifi" means television and "science fiction" means books."

Really? I've never heard that. But I'm fascinated by the perceived need to rename subgenres by medium. Where/when did this distinction develop?

[edited to add: I am such a geek. ]
      "Frankly, we're not surprised when she starts pulling large bombs from skin-tight catsuits..."
      "Not only can Josette Simon really, really act, she gets the show's best introduction - she rescues Avon, announces he's the most beautiful man she's ever seen, then explains the only other man she's seen is her father, whose surname is, blissfully, Mellonby."
      "This is a future where the women are beautiful, the men are ugly, and the only drink is creme de menthe."
      --BBC CultTV's web review of Blake's 7 season 3 DVD (21.06.05)

Comment

Originally posted by VixyOwl (~~Ani)
        AnthroGirl said:
        "My snobby husband likes to tell me that "scifi" means television and "science fiction" means books."

Really? I've never heard that. But I'm fascinated by the perceived need to rename subgenres by medium. Where/when did this distinction develop?
        In his dreams...

He grew up reading science fiction and I grew up watching it (I read other genres). He's just being a weenie and trying to justify the collection of old, crumbling paperbacks that is taking over the living room.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

I think they merge the idea of scifi/fantasy, because sometimes (or most of the time) both genres have both elements.
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
            I think they merge the idea of scifi/fantasy, because sometimes (or most of the time) both genres have both elements.
            LMJ! I thought you were going to school!

I consider "fantasy" to be anything fantastical or not of this world (but not science fiction, i.e., Middle Earth). I notice some people interpret it to mean faeries, trolls, goblins, etc. Don't know where that came from. I've also seen some pretty heated debates about the meaning of scifi.

In any case, I think the Amazon list is kind of whacked, but I sort of expect that from Amazon.

Comment

Working...
            X