This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
    AT did a great job with her first directing stint. To be nominated for any award is an honor and she should be very proud. As it turned out, Andy Mikita (who has moved up from Asst. Director over the years himself) took the Leo for Heroes, Pt. 2. As far as directing goes, I would have found that a hard one to call between the two of those eps alone, much less the other eps that were nominated. I thought AT's direction was just brilliant, especially the opening tracking shot and especially considering that she had to be in it!
    Actually, the nominees for best director for dramatic series were:

Richard Martin - Da Vinci's Inquest - 25 Dollar Conversation
    Brad Turner - Human Cargo - Part 5
    Andy Mikita - Stargate SG-1 - Heroes Part 2
    Amanda Tapping - Stargate SG-1 - Resurrection
    Michael Robinson - The Collector - The Roboticist

and the winner was:
    2004 Award: Best Direction in a Dramatic Series
    Program: The Collector - The Roboticist
    Recipient(s): Michael Robison

http://www.leoawards.com/index.php?p...list&year=2004

So although both Andy Mikita and Amanda Tapping were nominated, neither won. Although it's great that both were nominated!

I know very little about directing but if they can fit it into the schedule and Amanda wants to do it, seems like they should give her another shot. It may just be difficult with the compressed shooting schedule. She's probably more valuable to them in front of the camera than she is behind the camera, especially since she would need *some* time off for prep work on the episode.

Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
      So although both Andy Mikita and Amanda Tapping were nominated, neither won. Although it's great that both were nominated!
      Whoops! You're right. I must have rocks in my eyes.

In any case, I liked the episode. At least she's proved that she can deliver and that she liked doing it. I hope there is more directing in her future, on this or any other project.
      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
      once done, cannot be undone...
      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
        Sorry, Petzke, but you're not presenting much of an argument .
        White males make up the majority of film,tv,and theatre PTB's.
        If you just don't want AT to direct again,then just state that POV .
        I don't think you got my point...read it again

In any case, I don't really care either way if she gets to direct. She did a fine job last time, so if she gets to, great; but if she doesn't...oh well.
        "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

She still has a chance to direct on Atlantis if she doesn't get the chance on SG1
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Right, she did say she wanted to direct a episode of Atlantis in a interview
            __

__

Comment

I have a friend who teaches, he's married.
              Both are history teachers...
              He's a white male
              and she's a minority and female
              He went to a state university
              She went to a state college
              He's working on his doctorate
              She has an MA
              He couldn't get a job anywhere
              She was getting offers left and right

I think that's just as wrong as not letting Amanda direct because she's a woman.
              ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
              The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Isn't any kind of discrimination to hire or not to hire illegal? (or that only when firing someone)
                Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by petzke_42
                  I don't think you got my point...read it again
                  In any case, I don't really care either way if she gets to direct. She did a fine job last time, so if she gets to, great; but if she doesn't...oh well.
                  Whether ,or not, I "got your point", in your previous post, is actually irrelevant.As I said, "all opinions are equal" !
                  So to you too ! (Friendly ,as this time you did state some views supporting AT's directing another episode ! )

I'd ask if you want a truce,but as far as I'm concerned,we don't have a problem !

If you feel that sometimes you've suffered through being born white and male,that's a fair example of being discriminated against,IMO .So much for "Equality" !
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 22 June 2004, 03:19 AM. Reason: Cursed typos ...aaarrrgghhh
                  The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                    Isn't any kind of discrimination to hire or not to hire illegal? (or that only when firing someone)
                    Sad to say,there are all kinds of "discrimination " alive and flourishing in all walks of life ,lmj .
                    Some are legal, and some are not....too many grey areas,legally ,IMO.
                    Not good when prejudice takes control of decision-making,and ideally it shouldn't happen .
                    End of sermon !

(I'm wondering if this issue might be better discussed in a new Thread in off-Topic,really, as I don't really think it's just about AT/PTB anymore ? )

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                      I don't know but even if it is there's no way you can prove someone didn't hire you because of prejudice etc. So innocnet until proven guility means they'd likely get off the hook.
                      sigpic
                      Banner By JME2

Comment

You are so right CW,...and that sucks. I know several people who were passed over for promotion,or just not employed at all, because of their age,sex,disability,or ,in my own case,because: "You'll want too much time off to look after your children".
                        Unfounded "fears" but they still wouldn't even consider me, on those grounds alone.(I found a far better job soon after,so maybe they did me a favour ! )

Very difficult to fight back against verbal discrimination,or outright bigotry,IMO.

Comment

Originally Posted by Madeleine_W
                          A few years ago Amanda said she suspected that the reason Michael got to direct in s4 and she didn't was because of gender. Who know's if that was so - but Michael has been allowed to direct, pitch and write, CJ has pitched and written a few times now, and both are being allowed to pitch and/or write in s8; why is Amanda not getting similar opportunities for career progression? There's no logic.

Personally.....i don't think MS being a male had anything to do with him getting to direct first.

By that point in s5, the fact that he wasn't happy on the show was pretty well known. To me, all you have to do is watch how the characters interact in s5 to see that they seemed to be burnt out, all in all rather down and seemingly just waiting for it to be over so they could go home.

In an effort to make MS feel better about himself and his role on the show, we had some daniel centric eps (which just happened to fall at the end of the season) and he was given a chance to direct.

both he and amanda had expressed the wish to direct, they only ended up with one eps they could 'risk' on an untried directior, and i personally feel he was chosen over her because he was the most unhappy and she was likely teh most agreeable about being told no. (my personal feelings)

Beyond that, i'm not going to speculate on what may or may not have happened, but many things that happened in s5, happened because one individual was unhappy and they were trying to do what they could to make him happy just like any good employer and group of friends would do

It's probably a comperable situation to why Corin was permitted to write Fallout. Writing that eps was a contractural obligation and was, most likely, part of his severance package. (basically, 'we're not gonna pick you up for s7' 'ok, fine, but i want to write and guest star in one eps' 'ok' )

It's just like both MS and CJ were guaranteed, in writing, the right to write an eps in s7.

Most likely the only reason amanda is 'begging' is because she doesn't have the 'directing clause' in her contract guaranteeing her the right so they don't have to give it to her. They can choose.

the hard thing about having her direct, she's, basically, one of 3 stars of the show, and to give her a sam lite eps to direct, she needs the cooperation of the writers to first write a sam lite eps. plus the cooperation of the other directors to give her the time off in preceeding weeks to prepare

In season 5, they had the luxury of writing ms out, not only of double jeopardy, but entity as well, to give him time to prepare. She didn't have that luxury since they're now taping 2-4 eps at once and she's in all/most of them. to direct Resurrection, she had to work her normal 14 hour days in addition to preparing

Part of thier concerns and possible reasons for not giving her the go ahead right now is that she's needed to play sam instead of directing.

I really hope that they give her another chance, but time will tell. I do personally feel, if she doesn't get to direct in s8, it's probably a pretty good bet she'll get to direct atlantis if she wishes
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I read your Post with great interest, Skydiver,and I think it's the most likely rationale to explain the whole situation ,for me anyway !

Not trying to diss Madeleine.I appreciated her POVs,(and everyone else's )too !

I didn't think it came down to only gender/minority stuff anyway,but the Thread kinda drifted !

*Sigh*
                            Maybe I should have started that new Thread I was babbling about earlier !
                            Or maybe not...tricky subject,"Discrimination",IMO.
                            Last edited by Bagpuss; 22 June 2004, 05:36 AM. Reason: Expo and typos....

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              Personally.....i don't think MS being a male had anything to do with him getting to direct first.

By that point in s5, the fact that he wasn't happy on the show was pretty well known. To me, all you have to do is watch how the characters interact in s5 to see that they seemed to be burnt out, all in all rather down and seemingly just waiting for it to be over so they could go home.

In an effort to make MS feel better about himself and his role on the show, we had some daniel centric eps (which just happened to fall at the end of the season) and he was given a chance to direct.
                              That is an interesting hypothesis Skydiver, and one I could almost give credence - except that Michael didn't direct an episode at the end of Season 5. The only time he has directed an episode is in Season 4.

both he and amanda had expressed the wish to direct, they only ended up with one eps they could 'risk' on an untried directior, and i personally feel he was chosen over her because he was the most unhappy and she was likely teh most agreeable about being told no. (my personal feelings)
                              yes, that is perfect grounds for proving that Michael is unagreeable etc except that he didn't direct at the end of S5 but at the end of Season 4.

I would be interested though to know why you think that Double J was an episode that they could 'risk' on an untried director - it seemed to me a far more complicated episode from a production point of view (two SG1's) than most other episodes they did in Season 4. But I know that you have experience in this side of things that I don't have so have a greater insight into how the business works.
                              sigpic

Comment

Edited to add: I was typing at the same time as GateGipsy and hadn't read her remarks before I posted. Sorry. My post seems kind of redundant now.

Actually it was season 4 -- MS directed "Double Jeopardy". Nobody seemed burned out in S4 to me although it's certainly possible that even in S4 they were aware he was becoming unhappy and wanted to give him some new challenges. I agree that I'm not sure MS being a male had anything to do with him getting to direct first but I do recall reading somewhere that AT made a comment that implied *she* thought so. Wish I could remember where it was.

Beyond that, i'm not going to speculate on what may or may not have happened, but many things that happened in s5, happened because one individual was unhappy and they were trying to do what they could to make him happy just like any good employer and group of friends would do
                                I don't feel I know enough about the situation (since I wasn't there) to agree or disagree. I sometimes get the feeling lots of you guys have had personal chats with insiders that the rest of us aren't privy to.

Most likely the only reason amanda is 'begging' is because she doesn't have the 'directing clause' in her contract guaranteeing her the right so they don't have to give it to her. They can choose.

the hard thing about having her direct, she's, basically, one of 3 stars of the show, and to give her a sam lite eps to direct, she needs the cooperation of the writers to first write a sam lite eps. plus the cooperation of the other directors to give her the time off in preceeding weeks to prepare
                                I agree, as I said in my post above, I think AT is more valuable to them in front of the camera than behind it, especially since they only have three full-time actors to use with a very compressed shooting schedule. If I were RCC I would be hesitating as well. Perhaps AT should have negotiated into her season 8 contract a deal to direct a season 2 Atlantis episode (assuming it gets picked up). SG-1 will be over and she could really concentrate on the job.

In season 5, they had the luxury of writing ms out, not only of double jeopardy, but entity as well, to give him time to prepare. She didn't have that luxury since they're now taping 2-4 eps at once and she's in all/most of them. to direct Resurrection, she had to work her normal 14 hour days in addition to preparing
                                Being anal again here, but it was season 4 and MS was written out of "Prodigy". I don't know much about directing but "Double Jeopardy", on the face of it, appeared to be a much more challenging episode to direct than "Resurrection". MS did appear in "Entity" which I believe was actually the last episode filmed in season 4. I recall the DVD commentary talking about how tired they all were because it was the last show of the year. Note it wasn't the last show aired.

I really hope that they give her another chance, but time will tell. I do personally feel, if she doesn't get to direct in s8, it's probably a pretty good bet she'll get to direct atlantis if she wishes
                                I hope so too. Michael Greenburg, etc. were very complimentary of her abilities as a director on the DVD Director Series so I feel she has a good shot.

Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                                X