This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
    You guys are dissing MS! I think (well maybe it wouldn't really change much) if they placed the episode before all these dramatic things happened, such as Heros p1, Heros p2, etc, it would maybe have a different effect on some people. But thats what i think...
    I, too, think Amanda did a good job with a so-so ep, but it wasn't MS's fault it was so-so. Other writers tweaked his script.

Sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
      ...I watched it 3(?) times
      Goodness, three times?! Haha, even i didn't watch the episodes that much, and i actually think the episode was good.
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        I, too, think Amanda did a good job with a so-so ep, but it wasn't MS's fault it was so-so. Other writers tweaked his script.

Sally
        Oh i forgot those editing editors!!! Yah, i bet if they didn't change MS's original (assuming that they did) it would have been alot better. Amanda, she is just multi-talented Love her

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
          You guys are dissing MS!
          Not really. He's publically credited as The Writer for this ep, and criticism of an eps' writing and plotting has always been fair game, not 'dissing'.

Even if he was here reading the thread, he'd have no cause to take it personally as the storyline was given to him to write up, and others tweaked the end result. But even if it was entirely his 'fault' that the episode was not one that everyone liked, it's no biggie. This was his first script, and he's already proved that he's an amazingly talented actor, and he pulled off his first directing job with much honour.

AFAIK Amanda has been asking for years to direct, and when she got her chance it was only because she got it in her contract, and even then it was virtually the last ep she could possibly have been given. And when she does get her chance, she does the job well enough... even discounting the praise she has got here from fans, TPTB themselves obviously thought she did a very good job, cos *they* nominated her for the Leo.

So why do you nominate someone for an award for directing and then refuse to let them direct again? It makes no sense.

It's not like it's an unreasonable request. Actors are forever becoming directors, it seems like quite a natural progression for some. MS tried it, and good as he was he decided it wasn't for him and didn't ask again; that's not uncommon, many actors try it once to see how it is. Amanda was forced to show a great deal more persistence before she got her chance, and having done it and chosen to do it again it might be that she's seriously wanting Directing as a career option. Stargate SG-1 won't go on forever, so if she wants to move into directing after that, it would be nice for her to have more than just one credit to her name.

A few years ago Amanda said she suspected that the reason Michael got to direct in s4 and she didn't was because of gender. Who know's if that was so - but Michael has been allowed to direct, pitch and write, CJ has pitched and written a few times now, and both are being allowed to pitch and/or write in s8; why is Amanda not getting similar opportunities for career progression? There's no logic.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
            Not really. He's publically credited as The Writer for this ep, and criticism of an eps' writing and plotting has always been fair game, not 'dissing'.
            I've gotten the idea it wasn't after a few people have said the samething

Comment

A few years ago Amanda said she suspected that the reason Michael got to direct in s4 and she didn't was because of gender. Who know's if that was so - but Michael has been allowed to direct, pitch and write, CJ has pitched and written a few times now, and both are being allowed to pitch and/or write in s8; why is Amanda not getting similar opportunities for career progression? There's no logic.
              That's very depressing, now I want her to direct again just on principle, damnit!
              Last edited by bcmilco; 20 June 2004, 01:23 AM. Reason: pselling
              ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
              The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Yah, that word.. 'depressing' does describe that perfectly... *Shock*

Comment

lol Depressing certainly suits that. And what difference does gender have?
                  __

__

Comment

AFAIK Amanda has been asking for years to direct, and when she got her chance it was only because she got it in her contract, and even then it was virtually the last ep she could possibly have been given. And when she does get her chance, she does the job well enough... even discounting the praise she has got here from fans, TPTB themselves obviously thought she did a very good job, cos *they* nominated her for the Leo.

So why do you nominate someone for an award for directing and then refuse to let them direct again? It makes no sense.

<snip>

Perhaps this billboard might shed some light onto the situation....

http://womensissues.about.com/gi/dyn...rillagirls.com

Click on 'Our latest Anti-Film Industry billboard'

"/
                    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

OMG...why does everything have to be "I didn't get to _____________, because I am a (woman, african american, alien...whatever)?"

I am a white male, and take it from me...us "white males" (because, good lord we stick together as much as possible ) don't get more opportunities, sometimes we even get less.
                      "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Now a days, colleges would take an asian over an african american or a caucasian, because the colleges want diversity, but i don't see why AT is begging, when she should have the same opportunity as her other cast members have had.

Comment

Originally posted by petzke_42
                          OMG...why does everything have to be "I didn't get to _____________, because I am a (woman, african american, alien...whatever)?"
                          I am a white male, and take it from me...us "white males" (because, good lord we stick together as much as possible ) don't get more opportunities, sometimes we even get less.
                          Sorry, Petzke, but you're not presenting much of an argument .
                          White males make up the majority of film,tv,and theatre PTB's.
                          If you just don't want AT to direct again,then just state that POV .

I want AT to direct again,based on what I felt were her competent methods.
                          No problem,IMO,if others don't want that....all opinions are equal here !
                          Last edited by Bagpuss; 21 June 2004, 03:06 PM. Reason: Making it clear that I'm not "dissing" anyone !
                          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                            And what difference does gender have?
                            Good point really !
                            To be honest,if AT hadn't shown real ability in her first stint,I wouldn't be keen for her to get another chance,...maybe I'm weird,but,to me,her gender is irrelevant.
                            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

AT did a great job with her first directing stint. To be nominated for any award is an honor and she should be very proud. As it turned out, Andy Mikita (who has moved up from Asst. Director over the years himself) took the Leo for Heroes, Pt. 2. As far as directing goes, I would have found that a hard one to call between the two of those eps alone, much less the other eps that were nominated. I thought AT's direction was just brilliant, especially the opening tracking shot and especially considering that she had to be in it! Of course, an episode is a team effort and the SG production team is top notch, but as director it all rests on her shoulders and she did a great job.

(not sure if this is a spoiler for Season 7, Resurrection):

Personally, I liked the story. The only problem I had with Resurrection was the over-the-top performance of the Evil Keffler. It wasn't enough that he was a brilliant scientist with some moral deficiencies (a common enough plot device in and of itself), but he had to be the son of a Nazi just to make sure everybody GOT IT...(d'oh...thunk self over head with blunt object). Annoying to me, but not enough to sink the episode entirely.
                              Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                              O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                              - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                              - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                              once done, cannot be undone...
                              brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by petzke_42

So you feel that your gender and colour have at times disadvantaged you? You've had fewer opportunities? That's very unfortunate, I do feel for you, just as I feel for Amanda.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                                X