DVD/Blu-ray vs Download Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD/Blu-ray vs Download Content

How would you prefer to buy your future series.

1. DVD/Blu-ray
    2. Download Content
    3. Both, but I'll mainly buy DVD/Blu-ray.
    4. Both, but I'll mainly buy DLC.

Oh, I asked the mods to create a poll - I vote DVD/Blu-ray by the way, especially with the capping issues in our country
    DVD/Blu-ray
    62.50%
    Download Content
    5.00%
    Both, but I'll mainly buy DVD/Blu-ray
    27.50%
    Both, but I'll mainly buy DLC
    5.00%
    Last edited by Stu; 29 September 2009, 12:28 PM.

Blu-ray.

Except in cases when they charge double.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

DVD/Blu-Ray
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

DVD because itunes is too expensive.
        Unless I don't like the series, then it'll just be itunes to pick the episodes I do like.

Comment

DVD - I love beautiful boxes
          Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
          SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

i want it on my harddrive and then somehow upload it on the internet so i can get it anytime i want. is that possible nowadays? wish it works that way.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
              i want it on my harddrive and then somehow upload it on the internet so i can get it anytime i want. is that possible nowadays? wish it works that way.
              yep it is. but i dont know if im allowed to say how.

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
                This is possible, legal, and difficult to set up.
                What you want to do is make part of your hard drive accessible to the internet with a password so you can reach it remotely. Obviously there are security concerns when doing this.
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....30&postcount=9
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....9&postcount=18
                Originally posted by Jonzey
                Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

Blu Ray all the way, call me old fashioned, but I like having the physical item. In a world where digital distribution and DLC is steadily expanding, even in some cases like video games, only digital, I fear for the physical medium.
                  Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

I'd like "them" to release TV shows on DVD in xvid format. That would save me from the converting DVD for my media centre. And I'd have a hard copy for back up.

Comment

So much for DLC. I always hear alot of talk about how DVD is on the way out, but in fact all the people I know still only buy the physical discs. There's just something about having the box on your shelf. And if space is an issue, well then discard that unsightly box and just keep the DVD

Comment

The legality is, you, if you own the dvd, are able to make a backup copy of a dvd. The key to that backup copy is that it's for you and you only. And i don't know if there are rules about how you store it, but the key is not to distribute it. The second you distribute it, you're breaking the law.

Just as, technically, your dvd's are licensed for private home viewing....and if you have a viewing party you're breaking the law.

For most people, if they give a copy to a friend or have a friend over, MGM will never know and, if they only have so much money to prosecute and gather evidence, they're not going to bother with small fry.

That said, in the words of the law, those actions are illegal.

I would say, if you just HAVE to have the content accessible wherever you are, buy a big capacity memory stick or portable harddrive, keep teh files on there, and then you'll have them with you. and you'll have them with you in a private way. Because servers, etc, often have it in their TOS that you cannot hold illegal files, and if those ripped files are downloaded they can be interpreted as illegal. Basically, what others don't know, they can't bust you on. Keep it on a flash drive and no one will know but you. (and you won't have to deal with download time/bandwidth adn other issues)

I think folks focus so much on 'i want it handy whenever i want' that they kinda forget the sheer practicality of the issue. for example, I have several episodes on my Zen. And they've been there for a year or two....and I've never watched them

So, a lot of times, people want to have the info handy, but when you stop and look back, you don't really use it, you just carry it around.

It would be nice if dvd's came with a digital copy. But it's hard. Because for a studio to officially make a digital copy, they'd have to pay the actors/pay for that distribution in employment contracts. Which makes things tougher and more expensive. And you stand a good chance of having those digital files so tied up with DRM (digital rights management) that you will find your use limited...so most people will just go back to ripping their own.

as a mod and this topic

the forbidden area is

admitting that you download illegally
                        mentioning sites/ways
                        trading or soliciting of sites

Keep your comments off this part of the topic and you should be fine
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'd go with Blu-ray if possible. 1080p ultra-sharp video, and lossless audio. Video downloads can't really duplicate that. Video on download has far more compression than disc-based media.

Comment

I'll download first from iTunes as I can't get Sky (trees ) and then buy the DVD when it comes out to get a better picture/the extras
                            McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

DVD all the way. I like having a physical collection on my shelf.

Comment

Working...
                              X