SG-1 Style Jacket: Urgent Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 Style Jacket: Urgent Warning

I know a lot of you are preparing for Halloween, me too.

I purchased a "WEP" Flight Jacket from US WINGS, it is the same 'style' as the ones used in SG-1. "WEP" is your search term to find one.

Now, the ones they sell are 'nylon' which means "shiny" not cotton like the ones on the show appear to be, but the ones in the pilot were nylon, and I happen to like sturdy nylon military gear, so I am not one of the people who really would care, I have nylon USAF jackets and winter gear, and that stuff will outlive me...so this is the first heads up, but nothing compared to what follows:

I paid $150 for it, which I assumed, from "USWINGS" would be a good quality jacket...not even close. Let me tell you, I have a lot of flight jackets, and military surplus type gear, I have Avirex, Nomex, Schott, leather, polyester ones, and nylon ones, and this jacket is worth maybe 25 bucks tops...this is not a joke, I am not kidding. Do not buy this jacket from USWINGS, and in all seriousness, I wouldn't buy anything from them ever after what I have been through...

They charge $20.00 shipping, it took two weeks to get here (keep that in mind for Halloween), and the jacket weighs less than a pound! Think of that, I have a lot of flight jackets, and USAF gear, they can weigh quite a bit, if they are of good solid quality, this is flimsiest cheapest piece of garbage you could possibly waste your money on. Think 'nylon drawstring stuffsack' from the Dollar store, you could take a ballpoint pen and slash the back of the jacket by just barely waving it across, this would last two seconds in the field. This jacket is labeled as "MADE IN THE USA." This is no sign of anything, I have two cheap $26 'made in china' flight jackets that are ten times higher quality, seriously, I am really not happy with this, and you should not hurt yourself trying this same thing. There may be other WEP jackets out there, for sale, so I will say be extra careful.

US WINGS claims to have government contracts, claims to supply government and military issues, if I got this jacket to wear in the field, even as a 'liner' I'd immediately throw it in the trash, brush up against a wall and this jacket will rip and fall apart, believe me, I have had my share of cheapo flight jackets and gear.

This jacket is positively NOT worth the money, not even close to being worth the money, and not worth the trouble, the hassle and the heartache.

I hope I can save a few people the grief by getting this message out before halloween....

BTW, I was going to be Daniel Jackson...got the glasses and everything...

I've got one on order from Gibson & Barnes. The "Mountain Cloth" version does not have the shiny Satin look.

The Jackets on the show were made by the Costume Department and apparently used the same rip-stop cloth as the pants and shirts, so you can't get identical.

The Mountain Cloth version should be close enough though.
    sigpic My Twit-name (@fwupow) is the same!

Comment

Ultimately, I would agree, for Stargate fans, you will want the 'mountain cloth' but furthermore, the above 'Nylon' jacket is just not worth the money, especially if you're trying to recreate the nylon ones used in the Pilot episode. The jackets sold at USWINGS are manufactured by a company called "Cockpit" so do your best to inquire wherever you buy, not to get the ones by "Cockpit."

I complained to the company, and talked to both the general manager of USWINGS, and the president of "Cockpit" who was irate that I would even suggest their jacket wasn't of decent quality, which I stand by my word. The nylon shell isn't coated on the inside, meaning, any decent nylon 'windbreaker' even ones made in china have a thin 'rubberized-like' coating on the inside of the fabric, not simply to make it waterproof, but to insure it doesn't literally fall apart. The type of 'nylon' this jacket is made of is the kind of which at the seams, if you open a pocket, the material is already fraying apart, because it is just that cheap, and any slight wear-damage to any part of the jacket will ensure the rest of it will quickly fray apart and come undone. Not sturdy in any capacity.

I will be buying two from Gibson & Barnes, and though I can't recommend them until I get them, theirs look simply the best. You can get various colors, insulations, and fabric types, including the mountain cloth and aviation satin.

Just avoid USWINGS at all costs!

Good luck and godspeed!

Comment

RE: GIBSON & BARNES:

Look at this crap: I ordered a WEP Jacket MONDAY: I get this email from them today (THURS) :

"Thank you for your recent order. Our current turnaround time for cloth jackets is November 16th; your item will ship out on or before this date. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

www.gibson-barnes.com

It looks like YET ANOTHER SCAM. And forget about getting your jacket BEFORE Halloween! Best to find another company, I'm going to demand my money back YET AGAIN!
        Last edited by Darren; 23 December 2011, 01:27 PM.

Comment

It doesn't sound like you're having very good luck, lacking in the $$ department, I ended up buying myself an M65 instead, and that thing's worked out pretty well. They have been seen on the show (mostly worn by other teams, although you can see Sam wearing one in Into The Fire, after the rescue) so it is sort of cannon. I bought mine a size too small so that it kinda looks like it's the same high waist cut as the WEP. It might not be exactly the same, but it's close enough.

BTW, the reason their jackets are the shiny nylon material in CoTG is because they wore MA-1s instead of WEPs, I think the custom jackets weren't ready at the time.

Comment

Working...
          X