Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will you be announcing what's next in the pipeline? You know, get everyone hyped for new stuff
    sigpic
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Hmmm... well, one item isn't quite ready for prime time and because it's a pretty dramatic (but we think, good) departure from the kind of Stargate stuff you've seen before, I think we might want to wait a little bit longer before doing even a sneak peek. Then again, we just redesigned the newsletter (for the third time) and added a section for precisely that purpose. So you never know what might show up next month...

The other item is basically done, so let me check in with MGM and if they're cool with it, maybe we can make this string our official "sneak peek" channel for upcoming stuff (you guys would hate that, right?) I expect you won't be as surprised by this item, but it's still fun and it'll be affordable – always a good thing.

Plus, I love getting your input. Can't help but make the goodies better :-)

Comment

It's always a good strategy to go to the fans and ask what they want. Even though GW isn't the home of the majority of fans, it certainly is the home of the most rabid and passionate. So word of mouth if you announce something coming down the pipe is sure to reach far and wide

Using this thread to announce upcoming product is a good idea
        sigpic

Comment

You got it! I don't think MGM will have a problem with it – they are a great studio to work with and I can tell you from experience they really care about the fans.

Hey, so, on another topic: The F-302 sales are off to a rip-roaring start! So, first, thanks to everyone here who ordered one. We've gotten a couple of customer reviews on the site already, so I know they're starting to hit people's homes. If any of you all got one and want to comment on it here, I'd welcome that.

Also, I have a feeling we might have missed a bunch of GateWorlders who weren't reading this string with the intro discount. What would you think if we offered the Insider discount, but just for GateWorld readers, for say, an additional week? We'd set up a special code and see if the GateWorld folks could post it in news.

We're pretty proud of how the F-302 came out. Just want to make it as easy as possible for anyone on GateWorld who's interested to give our first Stargate ship replica a try.

Comment

I think that's a great idea I'm sure Darren would put such an announcement front and center on GW's home page if you offered a special discount to GW members
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by QMx Andy View Post
              If any of you all got one and want to comment on it here, I'd welcome that.
              Once I get mine (it's on the way) I planned on writing some comments, and probably posting pictures.

Originally posted by QMx Andy View Post
              What would you think if we offered the Insider discount, but just for GateWorld readers, for say, an additional week? We'd set up a special code and see if the GateWorld folks could post it in news.
              I think that'd be a great idea.

Comment

First post at Gateworld ^^

I've just bought a F302 and I think it's flying to my home to France now... When I look at my gate-mirro, I'm pretty sure it will be amazing as well!

I think the next item will be an Atlantis gate-mirror... Wait and see!

I can't wait for a zat replica... but also for the Promotheus! I hope it is in your box!

A idea I had with a friend is a small Pegasus or Milky way USB gate... It will activate when you will have a new mail or a new message in Live Messenger, or maybe a gate address to compose when you want to "call" a friend... that's would be crazy! I know I'm dreaming ^^.

Comment

hi there!

I personly love the idea of a 304 model but can i make a Suggestion,

Im from the U.K and hate the fact that the russians got a ship
                  Spoiler:
                  And the chinese did aswell
                  so how about giving people a chance to either name it themselfs (Ark Royal) and stick a wee union jack on it!

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

How about a USB jump drive in the form of the Odyssey or other earth ships? Or in the form of a staff weapon . . .
                    sigpic

Comment

A Jumper would be a great model too.

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus62 View Post
                        A Jumper would be a great model too.
                        i really want to see a puddle jumper model as well. it's my favorite ship on the show, and i want a model for my room!
                        thanks to Pandora's_Box for the siggie!

Comment

I received my F-302 today, and have to say I am quite satisfied with it. I must point out, though, that that is from a $90 price. I believe if I had paid the $120 + shipping for this, then it would have been more of a disappointment to me.

The first thing that strikes you is the size, it's very small. Much smaller than you can really get the impression of in the promotional pictures. If anyone is familiar with Galoob's famous "Action Fleet" line from the mid to late 90's, the F-302 is slightly larger than that scale. However, upon being mounted to the large base, you get a larger impression of it as your eyes aren't drawn only to the diminutive fighter.

Quite exceptional things can come in small packages, however. The key thing with this is to admire it up close rather than from a distance, and your eyes will begin to notice all of the very well done detailing, and paint applications. The tiny graphic labels in particular are a very nice touch, in that they clearly read "CAUTION" and "RESCUE." On a cheaper model, these would likely be blank signs, if they would be included at all. The best surprise is definitely the cockpit, which you would think at this scale to not really be present. It is, though, and you can see the sculpted forward seat, as well as the flight controls.

As you move your gaze to the rear of the craft, you're quite certainly met with even more visually-provoking details from the fins that say "F-302 USAF" on the sides, to the small details of the central thruster. The thrusters that accompany it on both sides are also quite detailed on top, but where these shine the most is the inside detail. Looking inside the thrusters you'll find not only sculpted details, but painted details as well. Even in the two tiny ones, there are 10 surprising separate paint applications, when you would expect these to be left blank! Before we completely leave the top details, however, I would like to point out that the wings are well decorated with some very well done weathering without over-doing it. Amazingly, despite many of the painted details being incredibly small, there is virtually no paint-slop. With how small these details are, you will notice a random spot or two where the paint slipped - but that's to be expected. This is when you definitely know the value of the price was in the devotion to quality.

Going underneath the fighter you are met with an incredibly increased amount of detail and greeblies. From the consistent appearance of the thrusters to the quadruple missiles, the chaotic bottom truly presents itself far differently than the calm top. Your eyes are left darting from feature to feature, but most amazing is the detailing inside of the rear landing gear holds. It's a wonderful smorgasbord of piping and wiring, although there are unfortunately no paint applications on any of it aside from silver, it's an unexpected, but welcome addition.

When admiring the landing gear, though, you will notice the hatch covers for the rear landing gear as present as well, and the rear of them (the side facing the gear) are fully covered in yellow/black warning striping. The fronts also have the striping, but it only goes around the edges of the hatch leaving a very nice and subtle attention to detail. Moving on from that, you'll find 4 missiles, all individual pieces. Their only application is a red tip and some weathering, but these truly shine in how they are mounted. While at this scale you would expect them to be conveniently mounted with them simply being glued by a fin that goes inside them, these are realistic mounted on clamps. Obviously they're going to be glued, but they certainly look like they are actually being held by the clamps.

Next to this you'll find the intakes, which feature details even more impressive than the exterior of the thrusters. Just like the top side of the craft, you will find next to no slop on the paint applications, which is incredibly amazing when it comes to the warning striping on the landing gear hatches. There are even tiny red painted details inbetween the lower central thruster housing and the intakes, and despite the tight-squeeze of the area, none of the red paint has made it's way onto the bordering hull. Truly a delightful feat. Also, to note about the landing gear; it is 95% silver with black obviously for the wheels. However, none of the black has slopped into the silver areas or vice versa, leaving a wonderfully realistic appearance.

Now, the base. The base seems far more simpler but has some surprising features to it. The most surprising are the guide lights. In pictures you don't see these very clearly and are left with the impression that these are simply painted circles on the floor. Fortunately, and amazingly, they are far more than that. The blue parts are actually elevated slightly and surrounded by a silver-painted housing, giving a very nicely realistic appearance that is unfortunately mostly hidden when the fighter is mounted. The registry number is a major highlight, though, with the paint appearing to be worn away as though it has seen hundreds of fighter launches. Although, it really could have used some weathering to accompany this. Unlike the fighter, the base is mostly one solid color, and really could have benefited from weathering paint to make it appear as though the wheels from fighters had been truly traveling across the surface.

Unfortunately, I have to note some other disappointing aspects. They're mostly minor, but need to be mentioned. First of all, when it comes to the base, the yellow/black caution striping is not as well done as the tiny versions on the fighter. It's not so bad on the sides of the base, but on the front it suffers quite a bit from smudging. Fortunately no slop, but definitely some smudging. Mainly on the upper edge, where the smudging runs along the whole edge making it appear blurred.

As for the fighter itself, I'd have to say most disappointing is the lack of a well-detailed secondary seat in the cockpit. The forward seat (as mentioned) is a very well done detail, but it could really benefit from a better done secondary seat. The existing secondary seat is mostly only identifiable by the headrest protruding from the rear wall. There are some realism aspects that seem a bit off, such as the forward landing gear appearing too large to be able to fit into the ship, but I don't know if that's a fault of QMX or the creators from Stargate's production team. My only other complaint is the support rod that connects the fight to the base. Maybe others will have better results, but mine is very loose and the fighter tends to wobble on it. With the way the rod plugs into the fighter, it's obviously not going to ever be threatened with potential dismounting from the wobbling, but it is a minor annoyance.

I would have liked to see some metal parts. Most desirably would be the landing gear, but those could be a bit too complex to make from metal without driving the prices up. However, the missiles seem simple enough pieces that could be made from metal. Some various metal parts would have also helped with weight, in which this could definitely use some more of.

Overall, however, I feel that the piece is truly worth owning at the $90 price tag. As a collector that is limited in funds, and could NEVER own anything like the $400+ Master Replica pieces, I truly feel QMX has appropriately brought the licensed replica market to the less financially-secure collector. Granted, at $120 I'm not sure I would have gone for this, but if you have better financial means, then I could definitely see it being worth the original price. This is most definitely one of my most treasured collectibles.

The packaging for the fighter is wonderfully done with very catching graphics, and the model comes incredibly well protected in a styrofoam shell that has two sections to it. One houses the fighter, the other houses the base. It also includes a Certificate of Authenticity that features technical specifications and the logo for the F-302 project.

I'll add some pictures later, I only had time for one, so I shall end this review on a Seinfeld parody-

Comment

Thanks for the great review!

Shrinkage! Bwahahaha! Isn't that O'Neill's line?
                            sigpic

Comment

Here are some more pics, they're not very good, though.

Front - http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10.../F302Front.jpg
                              Front/Top - http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...02/F302Top.jpg
                              Side - http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...2/F302Side.jpg
                              Side/Bottom - http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...F302Bottom.jpg
                              Rear - http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...2/F392Rear.jpg
                              With Certificate - http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...F302Certif.jpg

Comment

It's so hard to tell scale from pics But it does look nicely detailed
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X