Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I'm out for a couple weeks and you guys throw a party without me!

Okay, lots of good questions and comments. Let me see if I can tackle them for you:

Color – Choosing the primary color of the Death Glider was by far the biggest challenge we faced. In the various production models, it seemed every time a Death Glider appeared on screen, it was a different color (sometimes dramatically different!) The only consistent reference were the CGI masters themselves, images from which I've posted here before.

After consulting with the Stargate folks themselves, we decided to follow the color scheme from the series CG, as it really was by far the most seen in terms of screen time. For what it's worth, the paint is steel blue and may be photographing bluer than it actually is. Hopefully, we'll be able to get some updated photography soon.

The Base – In terms of the design and scale of the base versus the ship, we are using a complex form of forced perspective to give you the illusion that the Death Glider is flying thousands of feet over the scene. It's a common visual trick used with film miniatures to make very small models look much bigger than they actually are. Believe me, when viewed as designed (from slightly above the ship), the effect is both dramatic and very slick.

One of the downsides in forced perspective is when you take photos from an unnatural angle – say from the bottom looking up – it tends to make certain objects look much bigger than they actually are.

The base and the Death Glider are almost exactly the same width. And details on the base are much smaller than you might be led to believe looking at the close-ups: The DHD is less than three-eights of an inch wide and the base of the gate is about an inch and a quarter. So, if you were to drop these into your fish tank, you'll need to get really tiny fish to go with them. Guppies would look like whale sharks next to these

Here's a pic of the base with rulers so you can get a sense of the exact size:

As for the choice of the landscape, this is actually based on one of many Vancouver location shoots used in the series. Remember, the Death Glider spent a lot more time flying over the hills and forests of Western Canada than it did over any desert

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised both by how nice this whole ensemble looks in person, and also the level of detail even in the base design. And we plan to offer Gateworlders a very generous discount when this becomes available, to help make that in-person viewing possible for more of you.

Tech Specs Poster
    – Yep, we will definitely be adding the Death Glider to the line of Stargate tech spec posters. But it may not be until early next year; the designer who does those for us is currently slammed on another project.

Complexity of the Sculpt – The Death Glider was much harder to sculpt than the F-302. First, sculpting accurate curves is considerably trickier than a straight surface or acute angle. There's not a single straight line on the whole ship! Then, there's the hundreds of little scroll lines and relief carvings – all of which we're only applied as 2D graphics to the original CG model – which we had to sculpt in 3D. She was definitely a challenge, but we think the results justified the effort.

Where Can You Buy It? – we'll have it available to ship globally from our website. MGM will also be carrying it as, I suspect, a number of local distributors in Europe and Japan.

Hope this helps. If I missed any questions (at least ones I know the answer to), please let me know.

Comment

Thanks for the pic, that is really more than helpful as it also shows off the detail you guys managed with the gate! Very nice work!

I appreciate all the meticulous effort you guys put into recreating the Glider, and eagerly await having it in person.

Comment

Originally posted by QMx Andy View Post
        After consulting with the Stargate folks themselves, we decided to follow the color scheme from the series CG, as it really was by far the most seen in terms of screen time. For what it's worth, the paint is steel blue and may be photographing bluer than it actually is. Hopefully, we'll be able to get some updated photography soon.
        I sympathise on this point - I remember the first time Star Trek TNG figures were made in the 90s. - The main colour schemes of cranberry, teal and gold kept fluctuating on screen so although correct, the produced figures at first seemed "off." Its a common problem.

- As a side note, I thought the base was actually supposed to be Chulak. The idea of a different location base per ship is a clever one.
        Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
        Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Death Glider Color Test

Hi all – I've pulled together a color test for the Death Glider. Below you'll see four Death Gliders with varying metallic paint treatments. The "Original" is what the uncorrected CG master files look like.

So, do you have a favorite? One of these look more like the Death Glider we've all come to know and fear? Would love to hear your opinion!

Comment

i have to say that A is my favourite out of the four.

Comment

They ALL look good!
              I'd go with original.
              And for the record, i don't know what everyone is complaining about...
              e-mail(And msn messenger): [email protected]

Gravity can bind my feet, but it can never bind my imagination...

Comment

I would go with A myself. The original does look good but A looks better I think

Comment

The original is good because the brighter color helps you see more detail, but I would go with A because it is darker in color and looks more like the ones on the show.

Comment

I agree,A and the Original just seem to suit it better,so id be happy with either.
                    sigpic [IMG]

Comment

I'm good with either the original, or the A, which looks like the sculpted line-work stands out a bit more.

Comment

C. I'm a gray man when it comes to my Death Gliders (though C may actually be a little too straight-up gray).

I see that the CG model is bluish, but I don't recall ever seeing a DG on screen and thinking it looked anything but a metallic gray.
                        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I like A the best. (I've already pre-ordered, btw).

Say, is there any way that posters could be rolled a little less tightly? Mine came in a carton with plenty of extra room and it was rolled so tightly that there's a slight crease on the 'inside' edge.
                          [edit]On second thoughts, I think A is a little dark and like the silvery B a bit better.
                          "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                          Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                          Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                          Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                          Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

"A" for me.

Comment

C looks best to me and I love the base with the glider. I did not pick up the 302 but I really want this piece so don't listen to all the negatives about the base, I think it looks great.

What other ships are you guys discussing as possiblties for this line?

Comment

I like the Original best.

Comment

Working...
                                X