Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have only read one from each novel series, "Roswell" for SG1, and "Exogenesis" for Atlantis.

Both books have great characterisation, and make good use of their formats. To me Roswell is the story Continuum should have been, and Exogen hints at the full peotential of exploring the Pegasus Galaxy, even if it does highlight the limits of the Atlantis format as well.

If you haven't read them, I can recommend them, its well worth it!
    Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
    Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Snookie16 View Post
      This weekend I just finished reading Stargate Atlantis: Mirror, Mirror, excellent by the way it a great read. It like SG-1 Relatvity so it is great. So go out and read it. I think it the last one with Elizabeth in command of Atlantis. So Read it and enjoy it.
      For the moment, at least. The next two SGA novels are set in Season 4, but there's always the possibility that future novels will go back to Seasons 1-3. The SG-1 novels have gone back and forth with stories set before and after the death of Janet Fraiser, so I think there's a very good chance we'll see Elizabeth (and Carson!) again, too.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
        I'm reading SGA: Reliquary now, and it seems to be non-canon for the one good reason:
        Spoiler:
        Dorane has visited Atlantis through the Stargate after the Ancients left it - which shouldn't be possible. (Don't spoil the ending if this turns out to be another one of Dorane's lies.)

Nevertheless, it is enjoyable, and that's why I have also bought SG1: The Barque of Heaven, which I intend to read after Reliquary. I also took the special offer in our local bookstore when I bought the SGA book, and got the novelization of Rising in cut-price - no intentions to read it, at least not yet, though.

If you call yourself a fan, you should read them
        The Barque of Heaven is my favourite out of all the stargate books, closely followed by Roswell. Just finished Mirror, Mirror, but I really couldn't get into it, the plot kept skipping back and forwards - especially in the first half - too confusing for me lol!
        sigpic
        Thanks to Amaunet for the sig!!!
        My First Gateworld News Item!

Comment

Same. I also found Mirror, Mirror hard-ish to get into. I'll have to give it a good re-read in the future. They all have great re-readability. I'm currently re-reading Siren's Song at the moment.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            For the moment, at least. The next two SGA novels are set in Season 4, but there's always the possibility that future novels will go back to Seasons 1-3. The SG-1 novels have gone back and forth with stories set before and after the death of Janet Fraiser, so I think there's a very good chance we'll see Elizabeth (and Carson!) again, too.
            All I am saying is that she is not in command of Atlantis but that does not mean she may appear in future books. I understand they SG-1 books skip around, but from what I read of the Stargate Atlantis it does not skip around all that much, but that can change. I hoping someone writes a book with Elizabeth in Command on her Asuran ship that would be great.
            All of the above statments are merely my own opinion unless otherwise stated.

Comment

All I am saying is that she is not in command of Atlantis but that does not mean she may appear in future books. I understand they SG-1 books skip around, but from what I read of the Stargate Atlantis it does not skip around all that much, but that can change. I hoping someone writes a book with Elizabeth in Command on her Asuran ship that would be great.
              Well, you have to remember that the SG-1 line has been running longer and therefore has more books than the SGA line, so the SG-1 books have had more chances to skip around in the timeline. As more books come out, the SGA line will have more opportunities to go back and explore new stories that take place in previous seasons when Elizabeth was still in command of Atlantis. So, never say never!

As cool as it would be, I don't think they'll do a novel about Asuran!Weir. The way I understand it, the authors are kind of restricted from doing things with the books that will significantly change/contradict what's already happened on the show. And since the Weir-Asuran storyline has not really been completely resolved, that's probably something that they don't want to deal with at this time. Which is a bummer, because I'm sure that the Fandy authors could come up with a much more dignified resolution for Weir than what we got on the show!
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Well, I can only hope they do come out with more books either in season 1-3 or season 5 eventually, because I have no desire to read any SGA books and be reminded every other page that he is gone. Nothing against the writers, but I feel season 4 is best left for dead and ignored because it is IMHO the worst season of SGA, period. It just doesn't seem right to have SGA without Carson.

Comment

Well that's the thing isn't it. They have to do novels that revolve around the teams so they can't do a novel just about ReplicWeir but due to the story in the show, we know the team never encountered her before the S5 episode.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Well, you have to remember that the SG-1 line has been running longer and therefore has more books than the SGA line, so the SG-1 books have had more chances to skip around in the timeline. As more books come out, the SGA line will have more opportunities to go back and explore new stories that take place in previous seasons when Elizabeth was still in command of Atlantis. So, never say never!

Keep in mind I am not saying never I am sure they will have more with Elizabeth in command of Atlantis. By the way I do not mean to get testy that was not my implication.

As cool as it would be, I don't think they'll do a novel about Asuran!Weir. The way I understand it, the authors are kind of restricted from doing things with the books that will significantly change/contradict what's already happened on the show. And since the Weir-Asuran storyline has not really been completely resolved, that's probably something that they don't want to deal with at this time. Which is a bummer, because I'm sure that the Fandy authors could come up with a much more dignified resolution for Weir than what we got on the show!
                    From what I understand and have read on the novel site it is up to the authors with the approval of the writers and producers to do a the story. I am preaty sure you are right about this one, but it could happen in the future. Look what happen with the Furling in SG-1 they introduced in the book, but the TV show does not use them in detail. It can be another case like that if not there are some Good Fanfictions with the Asuran-Weir.

Comment

From what I understand and have read on the novel site it is up to the authors with the approval of the writers and producers to do a the story. I am preaty sure you are right about this one, but it could happen in the future. Look what happen with the Furling in SG-1 they introduced in the book, but the TV show does not use them in detail. It can be another case like that if not there are some Good Fanfictions with the Asuran-Weir.
                      The problem with that argument is, the Furling were never meant to be anything more than a throwaway reference on the show. The Weir-Asuran storyline, on the other hand, was a pretty significant (and controversial, in some quarters of the fandom) part of Season 4 with lasting repercussions into Season 5.

Now that the producers seem to have abandoned any ideas about returning to the storyline at all, it looks like fanfiction is the only place where you're going to find any Asuran!Weir stories. And yeah, they are pretty good.

Comment

The problem with that argument is, the Furling were never meant to be anything more than a throwaway reference on the show. The Weir-Asuran storyline, on the other hand, was a pretty significant (and controversial, in some quarters of the fandom) part of Season 4 with lasting repercussions into Season 5.

Now that the producers seem to have abandoned any ideas about returning to the storyline at all, it looks like fanfiction is the only place where you're going to find any Asuran!Weir stories. And yeah, they are pretty good.
                        I don't mean to get into an arguement all I am saying is it could happen and I know the furlings were a throw away refrence. Also I understand were you are coming form and agree with in a little bit, but the story for the Asuran-Weir in the episode Ghost in the Machine if Torri has returned would of turned out differently. All I am saying know is that the ending of Be All Mine Sins Remebered does not make much sense to me, but I working on a fanfiction that will help. Ghost in the Machine was a good episode, but it is more of a stand alone to me. I did not mean to cause a lot of trouble with this, but I am just stating my oppinion. I feel you are right with the factor that the producers dropped the ball on the storyline.

Comment

I don't mean to get into an arguement all I am saying is it could happen and I know the furlings were a throw away refrence. Also I understand were you are coming form and agree with in a little bit, but the story for the Asuran-Weir in the episode Ghost in the Machine if Torri has returned would of turned out differently. All I am saying know is that the ending of Be All Mine Sins Remebered does not make much sense to me, but I working on a fanfiction that will help. Ghost in the Machine was a good episode, but it is more of a stand alone to me. I did not mean to cause a lot of trouble with this, but I am just stating my oppinion. I feel you are right with the factor that the producers dropped the ball on the storyline.
                          It's okay, I know you're not trying to cause trouble, I'm just trying to say... don't get your hopes up too much. We've all gotten our hopes up before about the Weir storyline, and every time, we've ended up being terribly disappointed by the results. The way things are now, it's very unlikely that anything more will happen. "Ghost in the Machine" would not have turned out any differently if Torri had agreed to appear in it; the fact is, Torri said no to doing it because she didn't like the lack of direction in the story and that it left things too unresolved for fans. She's not going to come back unless that changes. And a lot of Torri's fans, myself included, agree with her opinion of the story and respect her decision not to do it. We do still hope that the situation will change in the future and that the producers will be more willing to work with Torri on a story that she would feel comfortable to do, but we're not going to hold our breath waiting for it to happen. *shrugs*

Comment

It's okay, I know you're not trying to cause trouble, I'm just trying to say... don't get your hopes up too much. We've all gotten our hopes up before about the Weir storyline, and every time, we've ended up being terribly disappointed by the results. The way things are now, it's very unlikely that anything more will happen. "Ghost in the Machine" would not have turned out any differently if Torri had agreed to appear in it; the fact is, Torri said no to doing it because she didn't like the lack of direction in the story and that it left things too unresolved for fans. She's not going to come back unless that changes. And a lot of Torri's fans, myself included, agree with her opinion of the story and respect her decision not to do it. We do still hope that the situation will change in the future and that the producers will be more willing to work with Torri on a story that she would feel comfortable to do, but we're not going to hold our breath waiting for it to happen. *shrugs*
                            I will not have my hopes up. It would of turn out a little differently if Torri had returned for the episode, because there was a script already written for her to return in season 5, because the writer wrote the first draft of the script after Be All Mine Sins Remembered, because they were excited that Torri made a guest appearance at the end. That was the scripted presented to her and that is what she objected too. This is what I read about the situation she opted not to do it because it did not have closure and also I agree with you and her why she not to come back. I do hope the producers work something out so she can come back in a movie and they can close the storyline or they will most likely just leave the fans hanging like they did with so many stories in the SG-1. You are probably right about this one. I just saying it is a possibilty and I remember reading the writer had a different script already written for Ghost In The Machine and they could of used that script, but they had to do some rewriting because Torri opted not to come back. I jsut understand were you are coming from.

Comment

Actually Joe Mallozzi said the entire script for GitM was re-written when TH opted out. HE claimed (on his blog) it would have been a very different episode. It would have been nice to see what was planned for that ep initially.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                                Actually Joe Mallozzi said the entire script for GitM was re-written when TH opted out. HE claimed (on his blog) it would have been a very different episode. It would have been nice to see what was planned for that ep initially.
                                That is what I intially thought, because the ending of Be All My Sins Remember did not make much sense with the rewrite of Ghost in the Machine with Michelle Morgan. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Working...
                                X