• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morjana View Post
    Thanks for the update, James!

Will the CDs have any extras with them?

Morjana
    That hasn't been confirmed yet.

Out Now:
    Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
    Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
    "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
      That hasn't been confirmed yet.
      Okay, thank you James!

I've already pre-ordered the first two through Amazon.UK.

Looking forward to these audio plays.

Best wishes, Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the Doctor Who FULL-CAST audios. Never heard the Companions series, so I'm not exactly sure how these SG audios are set up? Can somebody give more details? I don't like audio books at all. If this is set up like Jackson is telling a story to, say General Hammond or something, like he's giving a mission debriefing I will check them out.

Audiobook format however, not touching them.

Comment

Originally posted by LawgSkrak View Post
          I'm a huge fan of the Doctor Who FULL-CAST audios. Never heard the Companions series, so I'm not exactly sure how these SG audios are set up? Can somebody give more details? I don't like audio books at all. If this is set up like Jackson is telling a story to, say General Hammond or something, like he's giving a mission debriefing I will check them out.

Audiobook format however, not touching them.
          It's half-way between a short story audiobook, and a full cast audio - sort of. The norm is for the major charactor to narrate a story, and there is normally a reason for the narration. So yes, it might recounting a story to someone else, or maybe writing something in a diary, or recording a video etc.

As the story is told, you get sound effects, which include the background atmospheres of the environment, and certain things that happen in the story that will emphasise what is happening. That is, you don't get all of the sound effects to go with everything, just the major stuff. All of the effects, are quieter in the mix than the normal full-cast play, as they are 'underneath the narrator', with some scene setting stuff occassionally.

There's normally a 2nd more minor actor in the play, that doesn't narrate, but appears in the story itself and you will generally hear them in their environment - at those points, the narrator would switch to the environment as well, if they are speaking with the character.

And finally, there is incidental music to accompany the telling as well, which is used to either emphasise action, or maybe set a mood for the narrator.

It's definitely NOT just an audiobook being read - far from it. But it's not a full cast drama either. My suggestion is give the first one a go and see what you think. I can assure you that 'Gift of the Gods' is a brilliant story, and Michaal Shanks does a wonderful job in the telling of it. As good as anything you'll see on screen.

Hope that helps

Steve.
          SF Sounds - for Music & Audio Samples

Comment

Thanks, Steve - can't wait!

Comment

Yeah, thanks Steve. It's great to hear from someone who works on the project.

Regarding the sound effects, are they going to be the actual ones from the show (Gate activation, dialling, DHD dialling, staff blasts, rings etc.)? Obviously I'd love them all to be in there as they add a great level of authenticity.
              Last edited by John W; 27 January 2008, 07:03 AM. Reason: Wrote wrong reply to post.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John W View Post
                Yeah, thanks Steve. It's great to hear from someone who works on the project.
                No problem, feel free to ask away, and I'll answer anything I can.

Regarding the sound effects, are they going to be the actual ones from the show (Gate activation, dialling, DHD dialling, staff blasts, rings etc.)? Obviously I'd love them all to be in there as they add a great level of authenticity.
                Yes

Comment

Really? That's great to hear. I'm really pleased! Thanks!

As I said earlier in this thread, I have a lot of old Star Trek audiobooks. While they're pretty good, the one thing that a big nerd like me picked-up on was that they only occasionally used the actual sound effects from the TV shows (commbadges, transporters etc.). All the others were totally different generic sounds. It was somewhat off-putting.
                  sigpic

Comment

Really? That's great to hear. I'm really pleased! Thanks!

As I said earlier in this thread, I have a lot of old Star Trek audiobooks. While they're pretty good, the one thing that a big nerd like me picked-up on was that they only occasionally used the actual sound effects from the TV shows (commbadges, transporters etc.). All the others were totally different generic sounds. It was somewhat off-putting.
                    You may find the odd door hear and there that's not exact, and some of the background tones, but nothing that would jolt you out of the universe! I'm a big Stargate fan, and also want it to sound as authentic as possible. Even the incidental music for the first one is very in-keeping with the show (well I think so anyway )

Comment

Hi y'all. I had hoped to get along to the Pegasus 3 convention this weekend (which featured Torri Higginson and Paul McGillion, two of our audio series 'voices') but it didn't happen; so instead I'm going to drop some more news in here about the audios...

Regarding extra content, I've now been told that Big Finish intend to include an exclusive interview on each disc. There may be out-takes too, depending on permissions from the actors.

BF also hope to produce a special subscribers-only disc, similar to the premiums made available on the Doctor Who audio range. This will be made available to purchasers who buy a subscription to releases from the Big Finish site.

And I can also say that we're already moving forward with our next set of six releases...

Out Now:
                      Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
                      Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
                      "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
                      Twitter

Comment

Hi y'all. I had hoped to get along to the Pegasus 3 convention this weekend (which featured Torri Higginson and Paul McGillion, two of our audio series 'voices') but it didn't happen; so instead I'm going to drop some more news in here about the audios...

Regarding extra content, I've now been told that Big Finish intend to include an exclusive interview on each disc. There may be out-takes too, depending on permissions from the actors.

BF also hope to produce a special subscribers-only disc, similar to the premiums made available on the Doctor Who audio range. This will be made available to purchasers who buy a subscription to releases from the Big Finish site.

And I can also say that we're already moving forward with our next set of six releases...

Out Now:
                        Twitter

Comment

I'd have to think about the subscription thing if there are going to be exclusive stories for subscribers. I wouldn't want to miss out on anything.

As for extra content like interviews, that would also be a major bonus. Thanks.
                          sigpic

Comment

Can non-UK folk do the subscriptions, or will we have to make do with CDs bought from Amazon and specialty sci-fi stores here in the States?

Comment

Thank you, James, for the update!

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                              SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                              Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I love extra content type things, but having it on a disc makes me think these stories are going to be way too short. Is the format going to be consistent, or might we get some longer ones that spread over multiple discs? I'm guessing they are going to be right at the length of a TV episode right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X