This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate DVD Movie 2 sided!

Well just the other day some customer traded in Stargate the movie on DVD. Well it must of been an original pressing cuz it is a 2 sided DVD! And when I say that I mean it's a 2 sided DVD you must flip durring the movie!!! Anyone else ever have this version of the DVD?

Sounds like a pirate copy to me; I can't imagine any official DVD requiring you to remove the disc halfway through and "flip" it. Also, I'm no expert, but I expect it was a two-sided CD; a DVD should have enough space for the film on a single side.

How much did the customer get for "trading in"? Because it sounds like you were ripped off.
    Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

The very early DVD's were based on laserdisc tech, (which was basically a digital LP type thing - I really don't know the tech side of stuff). The laserdiscs had to be flipped as well, and early model DVD's, before they got the compression down, did have to be flipped over to side b during the movie. I don't know if Stargate was one of these, but since you've seen one, don't necessarily assume it's pirated. You could probably email the company and ask.

I welcome anyone who knows more about the tech side of this post to correct me and clear up the details.
      sigpic
      My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Are you sure you have to flip to watch the rest of the movie or just to access the special features, i own some DVD's that you have to flip to get to the other features. i bought them from a store. Do you know you have to flip it to watch the rest or do you just assume.
        sigpic

Comment

I also own an older version of the movie on DVD (in addition to a newer version). Mine is double-sided as well. You do have to actually flip it over at some point in the film.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
            I also own an older version of the movie on DVD (in addition to a newer version). Mine is double-sided as well. You do have to actually flip it over at some point in the film.
            We're actually admitting we're old enough to remember this stuff?! *headdesk*
            sigpic
            My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Also can depend on how long the movie is...The extended versions of Lord of the Rings requires at least one disk change, and another if you want to see special features...so three disks total I think?
              And if it's and older DVD then yeah, I remember two and a half/three hours movies being split up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lauriel View Post
                We're actually admitting we're old enough to remember this stuff?! *headdesk*
                I've only owned a dvd player for 3 years!

I can clearly remember two sided disks and I'm a teenager
                sigpic
                Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

The first Starship Troopers DVD was double-sided too. Although I didn't think the movie came out for a couple years after that.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I have the double sided stargate movie On Laser Disc. Now that you for sure had to flip
                    Last edited by FinalMacGyver; 07 May 2007, 01:48 PM. Reason: mis-spelled laser

Comment

I have owned a few Double Side DVDs. Not the Stargate movie but they definitely do exist
                      Last edited by Starxgate; 07 May 2007, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Starxgate View Post
                        I have owned a few Double Side DVDs. Not the Stargate movie but they definitely do exist
                        And it's very annoying too, isn't it? The movie is just getting good, and then - BAM! You have to get up and flip it over.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

All of the first generation of DVDs were 'flippers' (as they're known). I dont know the technical details but I think it may have something to do with compression ratios improving to the point where the movie will fit on one side. The Lord of the Rings Extended boxsets are 4 DVDs 2 for each film and 2 for extras! The only 'flipper' I know of still in production is Stephen King's 'IT'.

Comment

Only other one I ever heard aboot b4 I saw the one I got in, they got $1.00 cash for it, was Terminator 2. A friend had bought it and told me you had to flip it. Also I remember some of the first DVD players auto fliped!

Comment

Working...
                            X